Suggestions, please

I decided to come back and give D3 another run through. Any suggestions on how I should do my wizard? Thanks!

Just make a Vyr’s Chantodo Archon wizard, the whole build is on the leaderboards (Shift+L to enter leaderboards in game).

Okay, I’ll check it out next time I’m in the game. Thanks!

I would get to town, and start with a gear from a code or world con. I can tell you that the hardcore wizard has different powers than a ghost. I would run a ghost until you are sure, you could fold space and time.
I would want a wizard ring that could do the job, and to get a combat item besides defensive staff.

Hydra only build. Make it work

My SC wizard is running a Tal build and can clear XI-XIII on a good day and is a lot of fun to play and see all the meteor’s fall. But at tier XIII I get popped like a balloon on virtually everything right now. Not sure how to fix that yet.

My HC wizard is running Vyr/Chantodo and can easily do VI but I’m still missing several off pieces to really push it higher. And better rolls on pretty much everything. grumble grumble But it is also a fun build and cuts through dense maps with ease. Heaven help you on those sparse maps though.

Hm. Looking at your character Velnyxa I presume that you play a Spectral Blades build. Let me say this first, Spectral Blades will likely perform better with Legacy of Dreams in the end, but nevertheless, if you want to use Spectral Blade, then here are some pointers:

Depth Diggers (cube) are useless if you don’t use Delsere belt… so:
Tal Rasha belt => Shame of Delsere
Myken’s Ball of Hate => Tal Rasha source
Monster Hunter => Fragment of Destiny (ancient, high affix)
Fragment of Destiny (cube) => Orb of Infinite Depth
Focus/Restraint => Halo of Karini & Convention of Elements
Rogar’s Stone (cube) => Ring of Royal Grandieur
Tal Amulet => Smirk’s Necklace (hopefully with Socket and double Crit)
Krelm’s bracer => Ashnagar bracer (Ele% > CHC, ideally it has both!)
use “Invigorating Gemstone” for CC Immunity (as you can’t have Aetherwalker)
see that you get Elemental damage % on your amulet/bracer

Skills:
Explosive Blast / Chain Reaction (Fire)
Ray of Frost / Cold Blood (Cold)
Spectral Blade / Thrown Blade (Lightning)
Teleport / Calamity (Arcane)
Storm Armor / Shocking Aspect
Magic Weapon / Deflection

Passives:
Audacity, Galvanizing Ward, Unstable Anomaly, Illusionist/Blur/Evocation
The forth passive depends on your playstyle and how squishy you still are. Anyhow, with both buffs from OoID and Karini active, and with the extra shields from ABB/GW/MW:D you should be able to facetank quite a lot, so I would assume that focussing on Teleport (Evocation/Illusionist) should be better for movement issues.

Thanks, my build (as most of mine are) is pretty hodge podge from whatever dropped my way. One thing I dislike about D3 is how deceiving item power can be. What I mean is that it can be hard, at a glance anyway, to determine if this ancient item with great stats is better or worse than the set piece that is not ancient, or even another legendary that “fits” the build better.

Maybe another example is that it isn’t obvious that in some cases, having more “damage” isn’t as good as having faster attack speed, or higher crit chance. This is especially irritating when trying to build a new set that isn’t already simmed out for you.

I do appreciate you help though, I’ll be on the lookout for those items/stats. Like, sure I always knew I should swap out Monster Hunter, but every weapon I get has the worst stats compared to it, so I’m just like, eh…

Hydra is the only build, if they accept you are the top, and if they do not then your recycled. It’s a slight flaw from one of the core types, so there hidden in there zone anyway. I know what the hydra dose, it’s just better to link damaging effects, or signature skills. The added effects, creatures, or companions are not really an extra feature to this system. Items that are magic, or even greater magic items, are basic required items for world code. That sets a level requirement not every casual player can meet.