Suggestions for shadows impale buffs

I know the build got a small buff for s25, but it’s not really an awful lot imho. Maxroll currently has the ‘new’ s6 impale as a B tier, around 10 GRs weaker than the top S tier builds (seasonal).

My suggestions are:

2 piece set - from the current 6000 to 10000

6 piece set - from the current 75k single target to 125k
6 piece set - from the current subsequent 25k target to 40k

HPS quiver - CHC rolls by default (meaning you just need elemental and impale dmg rolls via RNG) and throws an additional 3 daggers (up from 2).

shadow power - gloom rune - DR from the current 35% to 60%

elusive ring - from the current maximum 60% DR to 80%

A nice QOL improvement would be the hatred returned from karleis point dagger to go from 15 hatred to 25 hatred. Would make farming t16 that much nicer (even with visage + seethe rune for vengeance it’s heavy on the resource. Yes I know you can add a topaz gem to the helm but this then screws with vengeance uptime, which is not desirable for any DH build imho).

This is just my idea. I don’t know any of the underlying math for the game, so it probably needs tweaking.

The idea of this post is to make the build an S tier RGK. It not only doesn’t do enough damage at the moment, it is way too slow DPS wise on single RGK targets.

1 Like

Max Roll misjudged the benefit of the subsequent hits in their preview blog, 5-7GRs was way off.

A buff by exactly 3GRs will make it match HotA.

Raising the 2pc to 10000% is all we need. There is good balance between Impale’s Cold & Fire runes (though cold +1GR stronger IMHO). I really like we how can still be competitive with Cold, Fire or Lightning – they can even unlock Grievous Wounds at this point, it will be balanced.

5 Likes

The Shadow set is very squishy compared to all other sets. The Shadow Power bonus isn’t that big of a deal because because you still lose an action bar slot to get that bonus, just like any other set would need to get gloom’s 35% dmg reduction. The rest of Shadow Power’s runes aren’t that great.

Instead of having Shadow double the Dmg reduction and other Shadow Power runes, just bake all the rune powers into the set: no action bar slot required. Now if the player wanted the extra dmg reduction, he could put Shadow Power gloom on the action bar and when he activated it, the bar shadow Power abilities would be added the Shadow Set abilities like they normally do for any set.

Is that just the seasonal buff adding to the build though? I will say that my p800 seasonal s6 impale with only 5 augments and low gems etc is better than my p2800 NS character with a good swathe of primals and augments @ 110 or so. Day and night comparison. Don’t confuse the seasonal buff empowering this build with what it is in reality imho.

I would very much disagree. LPH. DR. speed movement enhancement. shadow power is a very nice skill imho.

Buffing the gloom run from 35% upwards is a very simple fix. It’s more than likely a single entry in the code, linked to other parts of the game code via a variable.

Hi Mrtheoden,

Here is some perspective. All balance is done based on non-season clears. A really well geared 5k paragon player on non-season can do GR139 with S6 Impale. The target clear is GR142.

This is similar to LoN HotA, and even AoV Heavens Fury clears.

On season, the Soul Shards are giving about +11-12GRs.

1 Like

A GR139 at 5k? Interesting. So is that including the buff from the seasonal shards, or are you suggesting the build can now clear GR150 @ p5000 in seasons, with the seasonal buff? Because I very much doubt that.

Nice to know that the shards are giving around 11-12 GRs. I’m not really seeing this, at least on console. Typically for me, at p800 and with 5 augments, I’d be doing a GR116/117. That would make my target a 127-129 with the seasonal shards. I think I could manage a GR124, but no higher imho. So, my estimate of the shards is around 7 GR buff. I can only base things on how far I can push.

Yes, this is in the realm of possible. It is an extreme clear, but it will be done.

I just can’t personally see it. But, pre buff I think people were doing 135/136, so add 5-7 for buff, and then the seasonal buff and I guess it’s possible.

honestly, I wish the demon hunter could use two one-handed weapons without being one-handed crossbows. Then we could gain the emerald gem’s critical damage bonus and 15% attack speed. I think the archery passive skill should change and become something useful for those who don’t use bow as well. There are abilities that are only suitable for those who use bows and crossbows and this makes it difficult for those who do not want to use them with the demon hunter class.

1 Like

This set doesnt need more damage this set neets utility and AOE potenzial.

Right now i have to play this set melee style because i only have the max damage to ONE target. But DHs eat 30 more damage compared to the real melee classes monk barb and crusader. This is complete BS. What needs to be done:
Give the first set bonus a perma phasing mod so i can walk through the masses of enemys and be able to attack the right one. This also fits in the assassin style gamplay. I realy cant wrap my head around the fact that this is not already in the game. Srsly.
Give some source of evasion like the monk has. If i cant evade and have to eat 30% more damage then a real melee im always dead meat. This also fits into assassin style combat…
One of the runes of impale should add some aoe effects like killed enemys xplode or something. We have that now with the soulshards but i waste to much damage for this.
For a real dagger thrower build the daggers should always pierece all targets, so the quivers should add the frostrune by default modifier.

Right now Impale is unplayable the moment everything doesnt die in 2 hits. So its potenzial is capped already at around 130gr.

Or as always. No monk no gains.

I would beg to differ.

It has always been a melee build…

why? I rarely have problems getting to the elite. PS in order to get the bane of the powerful bonus, you need to kill the elite and ALL of his minions.

Not a bad idea.

That’s the challenge if using the overpenetration rune/cold dmg - learning to position your character to hit as many targets as possible.

I reckon I’ll hit GR130 @ around p1200. I have already done a GR121 in 7 minutes or thereabouts (SC). Pretty sure I can probably do a GR124 “as is” (5 augments, p850). I only have 5 ancient items too, and not everything is well rolled. On console, the last time that I looked, the highest s6 impale clear was a GR127. I do not know what their paragon level was as you cannot see that on the console LBs sadly. But I can say that it wasn’t a top group player, so they’ll clear higher as they’ll have higher paragon levels.

I did a GR124 in s23 (I didn’t really push in s24, but managed a GR121 with 3 minutes to spare on my first attempt before saying I’m outta here to the season). And I play HC, so we don’t go all offensive typically for obvious reasons. And this season’s theme is more powerful than the s23 theme imho.

The build most certainly needs more DPS - even at p5000, it is behind the other top S tier builds by around 10 GRs imho. I know some others here think it isn’t, but that is my honest assessment, and I have played the build exclusively since s12, typically playing in the top 12 globally SC on PS4 up until s16 and the introduction of GOD HA which murders s6 impale by a good 10 GRs…that’s why everyone switched to GOD HA.

The shadow power DR should jump to 50% to make it more in line with other sets. As it is, I have to use Elusive Ring and Tumble a lot just to keep from getting squished. Also, those spinners that reflect missiles should not reflect Impale stabs as it should be considered a melee attack and not ranged (even though it “is.”)

I try to avoid dervishes where possible (and sand dwellers). You can take them on, you just have to time your attacks and be patient with the pack.

Elusive ring has always been a must with the build imho. Same as aquilas in the cube and the endless walk set. Without these items, the build is very squishy above ~GR75.

Yep, me too, when I see them. But when you pop a pylon and they sprout out of it, and your second or third dagger hits them because of the HPS split, then there’s not a whole lot you can do except, I guess, not use Nemesis Bracers.

Soon as you see their pre spin animation, you stop firing. I move onto another target (non spinning dervish, alternate mob type) to keep my gogok stacks up and keep my kill streak going and of course, keep the timer going. Careful placement of character, and smart play and well read dervish mechanics can typically mean no deaths. I do this on HC, which is even riskier as you can imagine. I don’t rush dervish mobs, but take my time. I might lose a bit of timer, but it procs the powerful bonus and I can use that for the next elite pack.

I am seeing a lot of dervishes and sand dwellers in rifts and GRs in s25 and also s24. Much more than previous seasons.

No.

Hitting the X button means “attack” and “activate.” Once you have triggered them, there is no taking it back. So, you cannot “see them” before they appear - they either do, and get hit/reflect, or you get lucky and they do not. So, I guess my best option is to reassign buttons and completely re-memorize how to play.

But, I am not the greatest player so maybe I can do it better. Not that it matters.

Trust me, you can take on dervishes and win. You just need to time your attacks and watch their animations correctly, and be prepared to back off when they do their spin. It takes time, patience and practice to get right.

Yes… I know they can be, if you see them in advance. My problem is with hitting a pylon, getting these, and then dying because activating a pylon also triggered an attack. So, I will reassign to a non-attack button so these things appear but do not get hit. That way they remain active allowing them to be killed easier.

Id also like the 2pc to be buff to 10000%

But i would also add to the set 4pc bonus , shadow power and impale get the effect of all runes .(with the selected rune counting has the element)

The fire rune , helps with dmg , the cold one helps clear aoe , and the lightning one helps to clear around you without aiming like a boss :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

that’s a quite nice idea!