Suggestion: Cancel greater rift

Please add a way to cancel greater rifts. Restarting my game a bunch just to find a suitable rift (especially at higher levels like 110+) is extremely annoying and honestly just a really bad game mechanic. Surely, you guys had some sort of notion, especially with regard to seasons, that people would be pushing in to rifts they can’t actually finish and it is an unrealistic expectation for the player to always farm the rift out. Just please make a way to cancel it so you can start a new one without leaving the game.

4 Likes

seems like a reasonable request. I never like closing the game down just to reload and look for another rift/gr rift.

The game has a lot of reload to reset which could be more easily mitigated by a variety of options. For example, many people reload the game if they don’t get a specific bounty. Making some option to refresh them, even if only once every 10 minutes or whatever, would be helpful so the game doesn’t have to be loaded every 15 seconds.

Anyway, in short, I support a “close rift” option. Maybe, if incomplete, it should cost something.

yes! also while they are at it, gives us a way to close the Cow level.

2 Likes

The option to cancel an open GR is a very long time requested QoL update. For years it has been requested, nothing has been done.

While players of all platforms would benefit from it, it would also have an added benefit on PC. In case you didn’t know, Blizzard has confirmed that closing and reopening a game session contributes to a rather significant amount of server load. Being able to cancel GR without restarting the session would reduce that load which should be a considerable incentive for Blizzard to implement this feature.

1 Like

This ^^^. So many QOL things that are missing from this game…simple stuff to fix.

1 Like

Or fix that fishing is the way to progress.

1 Like

been saying this for a long time too. Fishing isn’t skilful. never has been.

2 Likes

yeah, they need to get rid of the garbage GRs then and add new ones.

2 Likes

would be a great idea. I get an awful lot of banished realms and barracks…plague tunnels is my next hated map tile. The rest aren’t too bad.

2 Likes

I know this is old, but how exactly do you cancel a rift and keep your key?

I quit rifts and it takes the key with it.

That is not possible.

That is how it works.

You don’t. The latest patch allows solo players to talk to Orek in town and close the GR early, i.e. without having finished it. This was just so that you no longer have to exit the game to menus and start the game again (which places a strain on the servers) when you’re fishing for good GRs, or abandoning GRs you know you can’t beat. The GR key is consumed either way, and it happens as soon as you open the portal.

Why is the loss a GR key an issue? One can get 3-8 keys from a single T16 nephalem rift and speeding through them for an hour yields a large pile of keys. A few lost keys for canceling GR is an insignificant loss.