Still no definitive word on mods for D2R

I’ve been telling people for weeks this very thing. I’ve publicly predicted the game is a relative Ghost town in 6 months. I expect the playerbase to be at ~50% or LESS within 2 months. The only hope this game has is periodic tweaks to balance, new runeword, and new, actual endgame content in Seasons. Then I’m plopping down my money with a smile on my face.

“No, no, you can’t read, you will be able to mod D2R for changes.”
“No, no, you can’t think, you won’t be able to mod D2R on Battle.net 2.0”

Almost verbatim debate(s) I had.

2 Likes

I’m certain the game will not have mod support. Blizzard has moved away from this and should continue to do so.

If you need mods to enjoy D2 you never really liked the game.

2 Likes

OK resident gatekeeper.

Luckily VV sent out a questionnaire asking about them so we can ignore your BS.

No modding = no purchase.

If they removed offline or modding at this point, it would make WC3R look like a brilliant release in comparison.

5 Likes

Lol you mean the other dead-in-the-water one that is subject to the moronic whims of those responsible for it, like keeping the hideously terrible pre-Loot 2.0 items?

I guess this is where I gotta start being more grateful for the current D3 devs, because even they wouldn’t screw up that bad…

Noone in their right mind would go for that utter :poop: and judging by how dead that site is, noone did…

Really, the server uses pre loot 2.0? I’d have to agree with you. And I thought D2 purists were toxic, I can’t imagine D3 loot 1.0 purists.

In my opinion, the one mod I would be interested to play, is one that could somehow bring back the balancing and gameplay of patch 1.09, I really don’t like 1.10 onwards, it’s the reason I don’t play battle.net. Having played all the patches of D2 and LoD to compare them, I came to the conclusion that, at least for my tastes, 1.09 was the best in terms of how many different viable builds it had and how the challenge in it was just right. I also think Synergies strongly hurt build variety. The only thing I like about 1.10 is world events, but since I’m a singleplayer kind of guy, they don’t affect me anyway

2 Likes

Yeah, very bad change imo. Agree that many of the 1.10+ changes were for the worse.

Yep, if memory serves me right, it’s also when bugged items started appearing all over the place. Not to mention Enigma. But for me, synergies is my bigger yikes

Yet it still exists. Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t make it any less true. This is just the most popular one currently. Like i said before there’s already another group making good progress on emulating the current version of D3. INCLUDING the ethereals.

Which means, modding is coming to D3, sooner or later. However it’s definitely against tos/eula. So there’s that. I expect blizzard to fight them hard.

D3 with mods (or custom servers if Blizzard never enabled them) would be amazing. D3 has the strongest combat of any ARPG I’ve ever played. It seems kind of late in the game for custom D3 though.

Totally off topic, but with synergies, I do like what DI has done. At least with the Wizard. Place a crystal, blast disintegrate through it, and it splits the beam. Place firewall, use a force ability to blow the fire around.

I find synergies like that to be good. But there is always the number guys saying one is best. But if they can make the games beatable with however you want to play, then does it matter if others gravitate to what’s popular?

1 Like

Synergies in D2 were the type where you dump points into a skill you don’t actually plan to use because it buffs the one you need, it’s a pretty limiting system in terms of build viability and many beloved builds are no longer usable (or at least they’re a huge disadvantage to use) because of that system. I was really astounded to find out the bowazon was actually really good in 1.09, because I was already used to the concept of it being “the meme build”.

It’s definitely not going to come from Blizzard. It’s going to come from a couple of people with enough smarts to rip it apart. hee hee i rhymed

But i definitely agree with you, modding d3 would be amazing. I spent a lot of time modding in D2. My D2 is completely customized for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

i looked at the game files that the beta has, and it seems extremely difficult, if not impossible to mod it.

I like the synergy system, in theory. The problem was not enough skills were actually viable and competitive. D2 was all about investing in your character and skill builds not easy to change. That’s what the playerbase said they wanted .

And that’s what they got.

Also, I’m sorry if it seems like I’m gloating, but a D2 “Purist”, name redacted, who vehemently opposed ALL changes in D2R, citing that mods would handle any necessary changes, is saying that the removal of TCP/IP is a slippery slope, and that he’s rethinking his buying D2R.

I’m sorry, buddy, you didn’t see the writing on the wall. I don’t know what to say. Lots of other people did. The threads are out there saying “We can’t mod D2R like we did D2”. There’s always D2, right?

We still don’t even know if the promised “Ladder” will contain any changes or just be a reset ladder. Blizzard is being tight-lipped about what is actually happening with D2R.

As far as I’m concerned, a mere “reset” ladder will be the deathblow to D2R for seasoned players who will choose not to buy the game because they already have it.

I really want D2R to succeed, but now Blizzard has managed to frustrate both the purists AND experienced, old-school D2’ers. That’s a large market of unhappy players. But some will buy anyway.

1 Like

That’s why I keep saying that it’s pretty obvious D2R isn’t targeting seasoned players, but new ones or ones that played 15 years ago and have vague nostalgia for it (more people than you might think)

1 Like

I also like synergy system in D2 but it has problem because it doesn’t work well due to D2 monster immunity design.

I mean, there are few synergies you need to get it all for your main skill if you want to maximize its potential but doing so will leave you helpless against monster immunity, especially when not all immunity can be broken.

2 Likes

Good point. I dont like the immunity system. I think resistance makes thematic sense, but not immunity. But lots of purists will adamantly defend it, because D2 was “perfect”.

4 Likes