Starter builds that don't rely on Land of the Dead?

I haven’t played D3 in years so when I saw it was available on the Switch with the Necromancer, I picked it up.

I’ve been really enjoying it so far (paragon 200 now) but I’m looking at builds that use the pestilence set and it seems to all focus around using Land of the Dead for 10 seconds and then having enough CD that it comes up as fast as possible. That’s just not fun for me.

Right now I’m basically using the same build except I’m not using Land of the Dead but I know I’m going to be completed screwed when I can no longer one shot the trash mobs and use their bodies to take out the other enemies. (GR 45 currently)

Does anyone have any possible builds I could start to work towards that don’t involve gathering up mobs for 120 seconds and then nuking for 10 seconds? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pestilence can be built without Land of the Dead, but it is much weaker. If you run Devour Ruthless (on NumLock) and the Gift of Death rune on Skeletal Mage, then you spend 40 Essence to summon 2 mages (Circle of Nailuj Evol required) and Ruthless kills them gaining 20 Essence for the Mages and 20 Essence for the corpses. That cycle is infinitely repeatable and fires off 2 lances via Pestilence 2 piece every time. It is much slower than Land of the Dead but there is no cool downs to keep track of.

Inarius Lazystorm doesn’t need Land of the Dead and neither does the Blood Mage build.

1 Like

Unfortunately the Switch can’t use the NumLock trick so that’s out of the question for me (i could play on my PC account but it’s nice to have on the go). I’m going to check out the Inarius build as well as thorns (although that seems boring). thanks for the reply

Since the Switch is a controller, can’t you assign Devour to a trigger and just hold the trigger button for the rift duration? That is what NumLock is doing for a PC keyboard effectively.

You’re right! I’m going to try it out. I tried the blood and essence build which was great but again, it’s annoying having moments of sitting on my butt not being able to do anything waiting on land of the dead.

Not sure how the Switch console would work for effectively NumLocking 2 skills like the Blood and Essence build does. It typically NumLocks Devour to maintain health and fire lances and Command Skeletons to trigger Zodiac on anything that the mouse pointer is on while dropping Frailty on anything in the area of the mouse pointer. With cool down in as many spots as possible plus Messerschmidt’s and Zodiac procs, you typically don’t have to wait too long (if at all) for Land of the Dead to come off of cool down. With a good open map and density, it is easy to have LotD ready before the 10 second duration of LotD is expired!