Starcraft 2 announces maintenance mode, Diablo 3 next?

Sad news for SC2, I spent hundreds of hours on the co-op mode!
But in terms of Diablo 3 I think it will continue with its current approach at least until we get closer to D4 release.
It makes sense to do that as long as people are still coming back to D3 and engaging on the forums, in-game, news etc… It is added value for the D4 hype train.

2 Likes

Here’s what I think. I haven’t played SC2 for the last 10 years, despite buying the x-packs. I don’t know in what state the game is in, so I can’t say whether that’s a good thing or not for the game.

However, in the case of Diablo 3, I would say, that after a balance patch or two, this is what needs to happen. Allow me to explain.

To way I see it as a person, who’ve played Diablo for the last 20 years, D3 still being patched is yet another thing, that makes it inconsistent with the previous games.
D2 settled into a meta with patch 1.10… or maybe 1.11. That was like what, 5 years after the game came out?
While in D3, while I do appreciate them giving us the new sets, I really don’t like the game being flipped on it’s head with every other patch, 8 years after release.

In D3 there are also Primal Ancient items. The non-set ones don’t get patched retroactively, so balance patches can render them useless and further frustrate the remaining players, I know I certainly have been.

The expectation of regular content patches for something like a Diablo game 8 years after release, to me seems unreasonable, and also not really how Diablo should play out.

So yeah, I do believe, that after few balance patches, that bring the sets more in line, maybe some skill balancing, I do believe the best thing for D3 is to settle into a meta.

The SC2 maintenance mode is exactly what we are getting for D3, I quote from SC2 announcement:

but we will continue doing season rolls and necessary balance fixes moving forward.

set for existing skills with the same number of polygons as something from wow 2005 is also no content for me. besides, it plays so imbecile that I don’t even want to or can’t play it. press 4 skills every 1-5 seconds for no reason or tactic and hold a button continuously for hours? Now seriously?

In addition, these strange seasons like s21 is joke! even for wow there is much more than 1 addon that shows information very good with animated graphics in the middle. they have full code… and the boy builds a cute little icon on the a$$ of the world. and on red or blue cards i have to pay attention to red and blue borders? It couldn’t be more brainless.

there are also top people like “Gasnick”, “Free” etc.
they write top articles with detailed and structured suggestions. everything can be implemented much faster than any recycling waste like s21. have their contributions been taken seriously?

i can actually continue to tackle the subject for hours. because a lot goes wrong here. I don’t even know where to start.

3 Likes

I’ll take both options for $50 thanks. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’d suggest you start with being coherent, because I honestly don’t even know what you’re trying to say.

There’s plenty I dislike about D3, and I’ve also been criticizing the game for years and offering suggestions and whatnot;
but I am also being realistic. Blizzard are not going to dedicate resources in order to rework D3’s systems from the ground up.

That’s why I am saying, that they should throw in few balance patches and be done with it.
Let the game settle into a meta;
let the people who enjoy the game for what it is to enjoy it;
and let the people, who don’t see a point in playing to move on to D4 or to other games.

1 Like

i totally agreed! Regardless it’s time for d3 to retire as well. WE all know that once d4 is out, d3 will be so empty!

1 Like

Don’t you know that you’re not allowed to have your own opinion and that you have to blindly agree with anything Blizz says aka GROUPS (Rat Runs, META) = GOOD, SOLO = BAD or 150 GRs in META groups in 3 minutes in non season GOOD, but SOLO 150 GR with even 8000-10000 paragon in 12-14 minutes = BAD? :roll_eyes:

You’re not here to question their decissions, but follow them without hesitation and agree with anything they do with the game and if not than you know where the doors are…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with people having their own opinions… although ideally, those opinions should be based on reality.

And again, the reality is, that Blizzard are not going to dedicate resources to further rework core systems in terms of the overall skill system, itemization and so on.

They can tweak the balance here and there, but that’s all they are going to do.

They have not made the decision (or maybe they have, but we don’t know). The topic is people speculating about SC2 entering maintenance mode and whether or not D3 is to follow.

My take is, that if the game were to end up in maintenance mode, it’s not necessarily a bad thing (assuming they do some balancing first).

I’ve read plenty of people explain in great detail how this and that is poorly implemented in D3, how it’s inconsistent with D2 and whatnot…

Guess what? Regular changes to items and builds 8 years after release is also inconsistent with D2.

1 Like

The only thing D2 LoD needs is:

• Making Potions, Runes stack,
  • Increase the stack size of keys, identification, portal scrolls in tomes,
  • Removing stamina completely,
  • Increasing Inventory, Horadric Cube and Stash Size,
  • Adding up to 1920x1080 (at least) screen resolution and making it like in the MultiRes mod for 1.12a (if you don’t know what I’m talking about than google it),
  • After adding up to 1920x1080 screen resolution make 1280x720 or 1280x1024 the lowest one available and just increase the size of your stash, horadric cube and inventory to fit it,
  • Replace Arrows and Bolts with Quivers like in D3 and maybe even make 1 or 2 unique ones and 1 or 2 runewords with them,
  • Auto pick up gold,
  • Increase the amount of gold that you can have in your Stash up to even 2,000,000,000 (it was already done by coders in D2 LoD) and at least 100,000,000 in your inventory,
  • Give Mercenaries all item slots like in your inventory,
  • Allow to hire more than Mercenary at once if you have enough gold (already been done by a modder),
  • Allow rings (1), gloves (up to 3 or 4), boots (up to 3 or 4) and belts (max 2) to have sockets too,

D2 LoD doesn’t need any new updates except ONE Big I mentioned above.

Why, because it has a REAL Single Player OFFLINE MODE…

3 Likes

That doesn’t allow you to access those ladder-only contents without relying on the mod.

1 Like

Who said anything about a MOD :man_facepalming:

All the changes mentioned above should be added to the MAIN game…

All that I posted above would be changes permanently added to the game so it would be in ALL Game modes including CBNET…

That’s how the final patch for D2 LoD should look like…

1 Like

The game is the most balanced it has ever been. The winrates are all pretty close to 50% to all matchups. Also, the pro players are RIDICULOUSLY better than they were 10 years ago (which was arguably what led to some of the imbalance back then, they simply did not have the knowledge and strategies to deal with certain compositions the way they do now). So there is very little to be done to the game in terms of balance. Most of the updates have been to the other game modes, such as the coop mode and things like that.

1 Like

Dude, are you on drugs, or are we talking different languages or something?

While I would appreciate a patch for D2 LoD, it’s now unlikely to happen, unless they are going to remaster it like SC1 and WC3.
And if they are going to remaster it in a similar manner to the way they handled WC3 Reforged, I’d rather them not touch it at all. I am pretty sure Brevik has expressed similar sentiment recently.

However, none of what you suggested for D2 will change the meta.

None of what you just said in any way relates to what I said in regards to D3 (that if it were to settle into a meta and end up in maintenance mode would most likely be a good thing for the game)…

So I am not even sure what you’re talking about and why are you responding to me.

1 Like

Oh you mean how they “remastered W3 reforged doing what they think is good for the game in their opinion with the Stunning 0.5 User Score on Metacritic?” :roll_eyes:

D2 LoD Doesn’t need a remaster, just the changes I posted and it would make the game much better than it is right now for all modes including CBNET.

You’d know it if you ever played D2 LoD at all (before WoW came out)… :man_facepalming:

Having fun playing the game matters more than some METAs, besides CBNET is basicaly played mostly by BOTs using scripts or whatever to auto pick up items anyway with few legit players…

They could even make ONE Last Big patch for Starcraft 2 with changes many players asked for and than just retire the game…

1 Like

That’s precisely what I mean. If they are to remaster it like that, I would prefer they don’t touch D2 :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed in theory…
But in practice, they are going to change it only, if they are working on a remaster.
If now D2 were to suddenly start getting a bunch of patches and changes, it will be an indication, that a Remaster is in the works… just how it happened with SC1 and WC3.

I did play D2 and LoD before WoW came out, I played them when they came out. I am almost 33 years old.

Again, you don’t seem to understand what I’m saying.
I am not saying, that the meta itself makes the game fun or is the most important thing.
I am saying, that D2 wouldn’t be fun, if two or three times per year Blizzard were still patching the game and making changes to items and the overall balance, while also making you have to re-obtain a bunch of items, because they weren’t patched retroactively.

To make the example perfectly clear, if I were playing a Poison necro and I just found a freaking Death Web, and next patch the new Death Web is twice as strong, but my current one did not receive the buff;
and if that was happening often and constantly making me have to replace pieces of my gear… and not just for the poison necro, but for various builds…
I don’t think D2 would have been any fun that way…

So yes, I want D3 to settle into a meta, because it’s not normal for a Diablo game to get constantly flipped on it’s head… and that is the situation with D3, it has been for the last 8 years.

1 Like

I never mentioned about adding new unique items in the patch notes I proposed above to D2 LoD except for 2 or 3 for the NEW quivers…

NONE of your exsiting items would change if any of the changes I suggested were added to the game, so what are you talking about?

I NEVER mentioned about changing the existing unique items in D2 LoD, but replacing Arrows and Bolts with a Quiver like in D3.
That’s literaly the only items change besides giving , rings, amulets, gloves, boots and belts sockets…
By adding sockets to these types of armor I meant normal items or max rare not unique ones…

Anyway I’m not giving any Starcraft 2 suggestions as I never played that game, so only players who did have a right to do it…

1 Like

I am simply pointing out that the D2 real single-player offline doesn’t have access to ladder-only access and you didn’t list it as well in your list, so I assumed you forgot about it.

1 Like

English is not your first language, or you’re unable to track a conversation.

Quite frankly, if you’re incapable to understand what the person on the other end is trying to say, you’re in no position to give any suggestions to the devs.

1 Like

I do not believe we are remotely there yet. D2 has had effectively no new content for…10 years? THAT is maintenance mode. We are getting new sets, actually developed seasonal themes (half baked or not) and balance changes. D2 is not getting runewords to compete with Enigma.

1 Like