Spamming One Spell Is Not Fun!

I’d say wait and see how it turns out. If you’re doubtful now, I’d say you should most definitely not buy the game on release day and wait a while to see how it turns out. If it has a demo, like D3 did, I’d say try that out too.

Due to doubts I’m having about D4, I’m going to wait at least a year before I even consider buying it, if at all. Not too keen on the lack of an offline mode this time around. I had doubts about that in D3, but went with it, hoping they’d put a stop to bots and exploit abuse. I was wrong, and a change in jobs since then puts me in locations where I have no wifi nor cellular access, so an offline mode would be nice.

But I’m going to wait and see how it turns out.

4 Likes

They don’t want it to be fun, just impressive.

We know Blizzard just failed hard on last games. Activision needs the profit fast, so why spend a lot of time balancing the game and increasing complexity if you can just go for a D3 mechanic copy with D2 spells and a darker shader ?

They’re releasing “teasers” of monster families’ art. Its clear that this is to impress metacritic, ign and other game critic reviewers.

Blizzard was famous to create crazy mechanics that changed the game industry, now they’re lost, just trying to use their market team to convince players that they listen to the community and if the game is boring, is because the community is toxic, play wrongly and don’t know what they want.

6 Likes

No they are not the same. The talents in D4 will need you to spend points to get to them and they will get stronger the more points you spend

What do you think made WoW the hit that it is today. It was because they took inspiration from other games like D2, Everquest, along with others that I probably have forgotten about.

Lets be honest here how many things can you really do in a game that hasn’t already been done before. I would say not much, game developers are always taking inspiration from other games and using it to create their games.

I am sure that in D4 we will be thinking more than just the looks. Not happy because Blizz didn’t make a pretty D2 clone and call it D3 or D4. If that is the case you will always be disappointed because they didn’t create D2 nor will they create a D2 clone.

We both know that botting is something that even online only will not stop. Nor will it stop exploits, due to exploits being mistakes made in programming.

D2 is not as complex as you think it is. If D2 is complexity on steroids to you then stay away from PoE because you will melt your brain.

1 Like

Blizzard didn’t create crazy mechanics that changed the game industry. They took established formulas and tweaked them to make them more casual friendly, and they did an extremely good job of that.

People go on about the complexity of D2 and I have to wonder if they’ve played any actual full blooded RPGs from the 90s and early 2000s. Diablo 1 and 2 are amazing games, but they’re pretty much baby’s first RPG compared to the likes of Baldur’s Gate, Fallout, and Arcanum.

Even Warcraft/Starcraft are more casual friendly RTS games compared to others, and WoW is a casualization of Everquest.

Part of the problem of modern Blizzard is they took that casualization and turned it up to 12 to the point where it began actively hurting the gameplay.

Diablo 2 is by no means a complex game, but there’s enough there to give it some depth for those of us who really wanted to dig into things.

6 Likes

That cooldown and attack animations is just there for player to not choke the server traffic you know? They’re guilty about the lack of build diversity though. When they decide to create a high scaling difficulty and refuse to create synergizing feedbacks on characters this is bound to happen at some point, it’s all on them at that point.

Can you tell me where I said D2 is complex ? Its so easy to compare a 2000 game with a 2013 game inspired on that one.
But for sure, when D2 launched, the game complexity for its time was much more intense than PoE on 2013.

I played PoE for years as I played D2 and can assure that go into some online tool and create a viable PoE build after look into how many tutorials I want on Youtube/Reddit or watching streamers only takes time, but definitely is not complex.

Blizzard says spamming one spell is not fun

Where did they say that?
On which topic? D3 or D4?
Source?

Yet they still take their sweet time to do anything to stop them or do anything to ban bots in any major degree. I suppose I could play private games to avoid them, but then I can’t even do that unless I have internet available, which isn’t always a thing when I travel for work.

If they had offline mode as an option, I wouldn’t have to worry about that at all.

Back on topic for spamming one skill: I don’t see anything specific wrong with spamming only one skill. Some builds work well using a variety of buffs and focusing on one skill. The problem with how Blizzard did it in D3 is that sets giving specific skills a gross damage bonus while others sit in the sidelines and collect dust, untouched.

2 Likes

[

Jay Wilson explains it all. - Diablo III Forums

us.battle.net › forums › d3 › topic › page=3
](https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjuo5TThtfoAhVDZN8KHYvyCDwQFjAMegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fus.battle.net%2Fforums%2Fen%2Fd3%2Ftopic%2F6036224357%3Fpage%3D3&usg=AOvVaw2Zf4TgbmY1LcZDM-_UQNxZ)

“Jul 6, 2012 - Jay Wilson doesn’t need anyone to think, because it isn’t fun for the game. … necro with survivable minions + a good barb + a sorc with a CC spell or two and … There’s not exactly much you can do with spamming one skill .” Can you Read?! And how haven’t you seen this already or are you so much a Buzzard fanboy/supporter that you deny anything negative about D3 because this was not the 1st or last time anything was said along these lines

4 Likes

I am just asking…

The link you provided does not lead to a source btw.

Jay Wilson said it in a interview and just asking how did you miss this or the other times it was said,Also remember this little Gem?Diablo-3-Jay-Wilson-Tells-Diablo-2-Designer-Fans-F-*** loser? And BTW you did know that Buzzard won’t allow ‘Actual Links’ to outside information here?I am just asking…

“The link you provided does not lead to a source btw.”

4 Likes

“Don’t copy games because it’s not creative.” Just about every dang MMO has copied WoW since it’s creation and there’s a REASON for it. It’s because it works. I generally don’t like how Blizzard operates anymore, but Jesus. Why do they have to be completely novel when creating a new game? They took what works and has been proven to work and combined it all into one game.

I don’t personally like the 6 skill limit on the bar, but why is this a complaint? Why is it a problem that they copied any other game? You could say PoE copied other games because they have skills and currency. You’re rarely going to have a 100% original game from any company and to put anyone at that bar is ridiculous.

He said a lot of things a lot of years ago…

You can simply put them into a code, like this:
google.com

There is a tremendous difference between “GENRE” and “COPY.”

Path of Exile is the same genre as Diablo 2. But, its 1) Map system, 2) Gem system, 3) Socket system. (soon to be Gem-Socket system) and its Crafting system(s) based on RNG, are innovations, original ideas, and developed ideas, which make Path of Exile a very unique and original game.

Blizzard isn’t planning to do anything NEW or DIFFERENT with Diablo 4. Everything they are planning to put into Diablo 4 already exist in other, current or past games, including Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft. There won’t be a single, original, unique, or innovative idea in Diablo 4.

And, consider the fact that Path of Exile was started by a small group of guys in a garage, in their spare time, while they all held down full-time jobs, until they presented a working act and began taking donations! Meanwhile, Blizzard is a part of a huge corporation, that makes billions of dollars a year, and their game is not going to have a single, new, original or unique idea in it!!! It’ll all be bits and pieces of games that already exist, thrown together, dumbed down, and covered over with new ART work!

4 Likes

Arcterious

“Don’t copy games because it’s not creative.” Just about every dang MMO has copied WoW since it’s creation and there’s a REASON for it. It’s because it works. I generally don’t like how Blizzard operates anymore, but Jesus. Why do they have to be completely novel when creating a new game? They took what works and has been proven to work and combined it all into one game.

I don’t personally like the 6 skill limit on the bar, but why is this a complaint? Why is it a problem that they copied any other game? You could say PoE copied other games because they have skills and currency. You’re rarely going to have a 100% original game from any company and to put anyone at that bar is ridiculous.**I Don’T Play WoW! **Tried it and Hated it! For me it doesn’t work and never will be worth playing!As for why needing to cast/use 6 skills/spells in succession rather than one or two is just button spamming and is just plain Clumsy and Cumbersome PS If you like WoW so much why do you want to Copy Paste it onto Diablo games so much and ruin it for the Diablo players? Or maybe that’s the point ruin it for the people who want Diablo rather than WoW?

1 Like

That’s the best thing they could have copied from D3.

Have you a sure fire way to detect bots? The just banned a boatload a little while back. Unless you give them unfettered access to your device, it takes a while to detect.

When I want to have a million buttons to pay attention to and put my attention under stress, I go play WoW with the countless control bars. When I play Diablo what I look for is adrenalyn, few buttons and not complex rotations.

Anyway, sad that sets and legendaries are pigeon holing us that much. Sets and legendaries should be, not necesarily too generic like “buff everything”, but not also “buff exactly only this skill” likenmost are now. For example, I like the initial Firebird, buffing all fire, or like Depth Diggers buffing all generators, or like the idea of legendary gems, which some buff channeling, others buff ranged, others buff melee, but none buffs “this single and lone skill”, or buffs these skills (and a ridiculous paragraph explaining) and you mix and match in order to focus exactly in what you want to use. So if you want to use Disintegrate-Convergence (fire channeling skill casted standing still), I pick Firebirds and Cindercoat because they both buff fire, Mantle of Channeling because it’s a channeling skill, and Stone Gauntlets and Boots of Disregard because they synergize well with skills that make you to be static not moving (yeah, I’ve realized that there’s no room for all the items, but I believe that you get the idea) so not a single item buffs specifically and only Disintegrate or that specific rune, making a build exactly tailored for that, but with items that can be used for other builds which don’t use Disintegrate or fire, avoiding items with “obvious” use.

2 Likes

I would go one further and not purchase it at all unless it’s a free to play up to a certain level…

1 Like

Kind of sounds like real life doesn’t it? Especially at the workplace?

3 Likes