So you think you can Whirl? (Season 24)

Greetings Nephalem!
Here’s a few tips to survive the Torment, but here’s a couple of things to note that have already been achieved:

• Paragon 777 Guardian (Journey Complete)
  • Solo Greater Rift 85 under 2 minutes (Top 200 Leaderboard)

We have yet to reach 1000 Hardcore Barbarians in Americas server, but that will come soon enough. Ethereal items are nice at the start, but hinders our options when it comes to our favourite build.

The build and class we are using is the Whirlwind (Hurricane) Barbarian.
The 2 sets include Wrath of the Wastes and Bul-Kathos’s Oath.

Tweet: Screenshot

Kanai’s Cube Powers:

• Ambo’s Pride
  • Pride of Cassius
  • Ring of Royal Grandeur

Other Legendaries:

• Mantle of Channeling
  • Lamentation
  • Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac
  • Mortick’s Brace
  • Convention of Elements
  • The Flavor of Time

This build is our basic foundation of a Whirlwind (Hurricane) Barbarian according to Sherwin. Here are our skills:

• Rend (Bloodbath)
  • Whirlwind (Hurricane)
  • Ignore Pain (Bravado)
  • Sprint (Run Like the Wind)
  • Battle Rage (Swords to Ploughshares)
  • Wrath of the Berserker (Striding Giant)
  • Passives (Pound of Flesh, Weapons Master, Boon of Bul-Kathos, Rampage)

Legendary Gems:

• Esoteric Alteration
  • Taeguk
  • Bane of the Powerful

Diamond in Helm, Rubies in Chest Armor and Pants, Emeralds in Weapons.

Enchanting can be a little tricky, but here’s our priority from top to bottom:

• Cooldown Reduction
  • Critical Hit Chance
  • Physical Damage
  • Rend Damage
  • Critical Hit Damage
  • Resistance to All Elements
  • Pickup Radius
  • Vitality
  • Strength

Stay away from Thorns and Area Damage unless you’re looking to progress and focus on pure Damage. These 2 stats are terrible in making your screen freeze or lag.

The tips given in this post should be treated as a guide only because there are many alternative builds available that works fine. Take for instance Band of Might. This ring has OP Toughness, but takes away our smooth playstyle.

Good luck and have fun!

1 Like

Sherwin…why would you tell people to not run band of might. quintuples your toughness, just slip furious charge on the bar instead of IP (for speeds) or sprint (for push). Also, use ethereal grandfather instead of bk oath now, it is a HUGE buff over bk oath.

2 Likes

Band of Might does have a huge advantage if you want to progress, but it is really annoying to use in speed runs. The Grandfather Ancient Ethereal 2 Hander can win over 1 Handers in Greater Rift 110 without Augments also. That would be a good time to use Band of Might or having low Toughness.

Found that it is possible to speed run through Greater Rift 90 under 2 minutes without Band of Might when we haven’t reached those Godly 2k-3k Paragon Levels yet. Different matter if we just want to zBarb where we can neglect our Damage.

I speed run GR 90 with basic starter WW barb gear and grandfather in ~ 2min using band of might at p650. No augments no ancients. And a band of might. Just use furious charge every few seconds, when you’re speed running the furious charge can help your speed a bit, plus it interrupts elites trying to use abilities when you charge into them.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s what anyone can use when they don’t have their favourite build setup. The only problem I have with Ethereals is not being able to use Weapons Master for Fury. Don’t like the idea of always having to use the rune Wind Shear on Whirlwind.

Still don’t like Furious Charge though. When you get enough Power or Strength it doesn’t really matter what the monsters do because they all drop/melt almost instantly. Not saying Band of Might is terrible because it’s very useful when your gear is for starters. Used it myself to Solo Greater Rift 110+ with The Grandfather without Augments.

You should try the All Classes Grift 100 challenge! Sounds easy, until you get stumped on gear not dropping. I finally completed it and I won’t touch a WD again until next season at least.

1 Like

Don’t really have to worry about gear dropping when you start farming for crafting materials. Doing regular rifts and vault runs will get the gear we need.

On a follow up to our Ancient Ethereal - The Grandfather: I was able to complete Greater Rift 95 under 3 minutes with 5k Strength. Can go full Toughness and still be able to do speed runs at this level. Get enough Cooldown Reduction and we can have both Ignore Pain and Ground Stomp running.

Sherwin (and Endeavor and CerealKiller),
Just want to say this… I luv ya man. U do U and keep spinnin’ and winnin’

MMORPG’s (mainly wow, some gw2, ff14, and swtor) have been my main copium the last few years and now that I’m back in d3 (temporarily) because why the f— not at the very tail end of season 25(? is it 25 or 24 today? not sure). But d3 will always have a great place in my heart.

Glad you guys are still kicking it.

As typical, I’m drunk on wine.

1 Like