So I’ve played 40 hours, working on pushing higher levels

So this is a private idea not published because i just started but for only 40 hours playing ever, could I be doing better? It feels like I’m killing so much slower than other games. Maxim Model Plays Diablo 3 - YouTubeVideo

Feedback welcome!

1 Like

You’d be much better off posting a link to your actual build or providing full details. I, for example, am not interested in some useless YouTube clickbait.

2 Likes

It’s not bait because it’s a private video that can only be seen if you have a link to it it’s not published anywhere, but I would be more than happy to do that if you can tell me how to do that and find the link. Is there like a link I can find or do I screenshot it and post a photo?

All those rubies in your equipment need to be topaz is one thing I can see in the video. I don’t play WD but that is an obvious needed change. Also you want bane of trapped, bane of stricken, and gogok of swiftness for your gems I believe.

Also please organize your bank… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I’m a Demon Hunter myself. So, I’m not familiar with the Witch Doctor. But, it looks like you’re playing a Helltooth Gargantuan build.

You might want to take a look at this build guide for ideas:

Good luck and welcome to Sanctuary!  

I help a lot new people playing the game. The big problem is most of them really have no clue on what to change on stats on all their gear. Most of them change things that really don’t help them.

Yes it is nice that you telling him about the different links that will help them on what to use. But those link really don’t tell you on what to really change on their Stats. Yes any body can throw together and might be alright,

But now what do I change on stats to get the most out of that build. That is where new people fall on their face, I feel sorry for people that I’m in game with. They are complaining about they can’t kill & can’t stay alive. Yes they have nice gear. But have no clue on what to change that is the biggest problem in the game.

Of course they do. If you actually take the time to read the guide and not just look at which items to equip.

Whether you use Maxroll, Icy Veins, DiabloFans or some other guides. They all have a section that lists the preferred Properties, on each item, in order. From highest priority to lowest.

From my experience, it’s usually an issue with not knowing how to play the build. As in: Not knowing the Skill rotation. (Which is also explained in the guides).

1 Like

It does list what you might have and what to adjust 1st. Lets look at the WD it will list Intel on a lot set pieces as #1. Let say you have pants and if they go by the guide they would adjust the intel. Even if could like add all resist or something that will help them.

On a set pieces that would be the last thing I would adjust. Yes it is a nice guide, but it is only guide. Plus a lot people I help will tell me, OH I’m going by the guide on line. Plus most of the time half of their build is wrong.

From my experience even if they go by the guide to letter. They still have most of it wrong. Here is example I’m help some body with their Barb. On one of his items he added thorn damage. That is on a waste build too. That is what I’m talking about.

Of course it is. That’s why they’re called Guides. It’s a starting point.

And as @HannahFox stated:

I’m sure she’ll figure out the rest as she plays more and checks out what other players are doing.

But, that’s an issue with the player. Not the guide. Which includes, but is not limited to:

You can use D3 Planner to create a link to your character’s gear and such, and also to see how changes to equipment will affect your game.

https://maxroll.gg/d3/d3planner

It is quite manual, however, and I personally do not find it worth the effort… but I’m not asking for help, either.

I hope so because I have play this game with more then 40 women. Yes it is great they play the game. But only about 10% can really figure stuff out. Plus most of them are in their 50’s, 60’s, & 70’s. Plus a lot of them just get the enjoyment of playing no matter what happens.

So you’re saying only 10% of women are smart enough to play diablo 3 without help?

1 Like

NO I’m not saying they don’t know how to play the game. I’m saying after you teach them on how to adjust stuff. That the next time they know what to do. But a lot of times they still make the same mistakes.

Plus you didn’t read this part did you???

OK lets look males that play this game about 25% really know what they are doing. You ever look at peoples profile. Or you run mindlessly through the game. You know how many people out there really have no clue on what they are doing.

How many times have you heard somebody Oh I can’t handle that GR. Here is somebody at 800 or 900 paragon. Have everything they think they need to do high GR but can’t. How many times I look at somebody’s profile. You say to yourself WOW what crazy build is that.

You know the big problem here are 2 things. A lot of people never ask for help and fight with their character. The other thing is the people that know what they are doing never help the person that is having problems.

I have look at 1000’ & 1000’s profile so I know what is going on. I have help 100’s & 100’s of people to get their character where they can do that 90, 100, or 110 GR they wanted to do. I play the game to enjoy it and help when I can.

I don’t mindlessly run through the game. I help when I can and that is every day too!!!

That advice depends very much on how progressed the Witch Doctor is in terms of gear, augments and paragon level. I’ll use my Witch Doctor IDoNotPlayWD as an example…

With rubies socketed…

• Damage - 7,903,361
  • Toughness - 136,364,493
  • Recovery - 19,923,097

With topazes socketed…

• Damage - 8,189,537
  • Toughness - 120,744,032
  • Recovery - 17,640,919

The damage increase going from rubies to topazes is 8,189,537/7,903,361 = 1.036209
The toughness increase going from topazes to rubies is 136,364,493/120,744,032 = 1.1293683

So…

• Topazes give 3.6% more damage.
  • Rubies give 12.9% more toughness.

Early in the gearing process, you’re going to want topazes purely for the damage bonus they grant. However, the better your gear gets, the more Caldessan’s Despair augments you apply, the more Main Stat you gain from Paragon levels, the less important the INT from the chest / leg gems becomes and it’s preferable to have Rubies (or Emeralds) in there instead for the mitigation because staying alive to be able to do the damage is as important as the damage itself.

This all stems from how the inherited stats are arrived at, i.e.

• 1 STR = 1 Armour
  • 1 DEX = 1 Armour
  • 10 INT = 1 All Resist

So, for INT heroes…

• INT-based heroes (Necromancer, Witch Doctor, Wizard) are naturally high in All Resist but low in Armour.
  • Thus, increasing their Armour value is the best way to increase their Effective Hit Points
  • This means using gear with +Armour affixes rather than +All Resist, and Rubies/Emeralds in chest/pants.

So, for STR/DEX heroes…

• STR-based heroes (Barbarian, Crusader) and DEX-based heroes (Demon Hunter, Monk) are naturally high in Armour but low in All Resist.
  • Thus, increasing their All Resist value is the best way to increase their Effective Hit Points
  • This means using gear with +All Resist affixes rather than +Armour, and Diamonds in chest/pants.
2 Likes

Very helpful information. Thanks, @Meteorblade.

I’m sure @HannahFoxx will find your post extremely helpful.

(And other new players as well).  

Great post @Meteorblade. I knew there was a toughness difference, but wasn’t aware of the actual amount. :+1:

To add to this great reply, depending on your build and until you get VERY high main stat diamonds might still be better than armor gems on an int class (for toughness). And armor gems might still be better than diamonds on a strength class. Don’t just blindly copy the guides that say use armor on int class and vice versa - actually try both out and see which one wins out.

My rathma necro has 20k int and diamond still give better return than armor gems. At 30k int that may or may not change.

On my trag’oul necro with slightly higher int, armor gems give FAR better return than diamonds because of the armor passive and guardian sets.