Single most defensive Legendary Gem?

I’m currently looking at ways to adapt various ‘top-tier’ builds for HC, by dropping some of their DPS in favor of added survivability. One obvious way to do that is to exchange an offensively-focused Legendary Gem for a defensive one. Question is, what IS the best defensive gem?

MWG and the Moratorium would seem to be the most obvious contenders, but there ARE other options…

Hands down, Esoteric.

4 Likes

Huh. Well, nobody seems to be arguing… guess it makes sense. It’s basically an extra layer of Elemental Resistance, with a ‘supercharge’ when your health gets low. Still, the whole ‘non-physical’ bit has always given me pause. It honestly seems like the majority of the damage that comes your way is physical, at least at a glance… not that there seems to be any easy way to check what exactly you’re being hurt by.

1 Like

Esoteric and mutilation are the best defensive gems you can use in HC so I don’t thing there will be any argument on that.

3 Likes

Esoteric Alteration, yes. But for wizzard molten wildebeest gizzard is best, I think.

2 Likes

Necro alert:

I roll with Molten Wildebeest, Bane of Trapped, Bane of Stricken, and Give Esoteric Alteration, and Mutilation Guard to my follower. (I believe the only two they can make use of)