Simultaneous death/level bug

I was running a zdps Barbarian with my husband on a witch doctor in a GR. We were on the rift guardian.

Congratulations, you have reached Paragon level 804!
Solitha was slain by Voracity!
solitha says: I gain new strength.
roncli has killed Voracity!
Urshi says: Nephelem, you have triumphed!
Greater Rift Complete! You finished with 5 minutes and 2 seconds remaining.

In the game, I was a grave marker. I could use my buff skills like War Cry, but no movement. On my portrait, I was alive and full health. I had no option to resurrect and roncli could not click on my marker to resurrect me either.

I left the game to re-enter, and my husband upgraded his gems. Urshi disappeared after he was done. I was able to re-enter the rift and collect my loot but with Urshi gone I couldn’t upgrade my gems.

I was streaming when this happened, here is a clip from my PoV. She was off screen for me, but chat shows when she died and you can see her HP party bar never is empty.

clips dot twitch dot tv slash ProductiveShakingDonutDeIlluminati

In a slightly longer NSFW (language) version of the clip, you can see my Ignore Pain/Mob Rule buff show up on roncli’s buff bar while I’m still appearing as a grave marker.

Edited: due to language in clip

If this happens again, make sure your husband DOES NOT upgrade his Gems. When you rejoin him, both of you upgrade your Gems and then close the GRift.

If you’re playing Solo, the only thing you can do is leave the game, start a new game and try again. You lose the loot, Keystone and upgrades. Nothing can be done about that. It shouldn’t happen often. But, it happens to all of us occasionally.

To post a link:

1. Paste the link in your post.
  2. Select the link you just pasted and click the </> button on the Reply Editor toolbar.
  3. Click Reply.

Your link will look similar to this: https://www.twitch.tv/directory

I thought about that after the fact. We were still processing the idea of what strangeness was occurring.

I do agree it shouldn’t happen often, but I would say “at all”… it’s clearly a bug. If it sounded as if I was asking to be compensated my gem upgrades, I wasn’t… just giving as much detail as possible. In code, the diablo is in the details :wink:

Your husband must have talked to Orek after upgrading his Gems. Otherwise, the GRift shouldn’t have closed. I’m not sure if it was affected by your not being able to resurrect, leaving the game and rejoining though.

You are correct. And it has been reported many times by many players. Because it’s a rare occurrence, Blizzard’s QA Team may not be able to reproduce it. And that makes it difficult to diagnose and fix.

It’s a known bug and number 6 in the Player List of Known Issues, stickied at the top of this Bug Report Forum.

No, it didn’t. I was just trying to help you understand what was happening, how to avoid it in the future as long as you’re playing with someone else and that it is known to Blizzard. (You are not alone.   )

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like this… https://clips.twitch.tv/ProductiveShakingDonutDeIlluminati
1 Like

I never said the GR closed. roncli didn’t close it until after I got my loot and we both left. I got the normal reward for completion via Orek.

Ah, I didn’t catch that. I skimmed forum titles and didn’t see it. But I know from my own small amount of coding and roncli’s extensive amount of it, that details and reports can help nail down such bugs. Which is why I transcribed the chat log as well, to give as many details about that moment as I could.

Edit: Having gone to look at #6, I would have reported my bug here anyway. It wasn’t just that I couldn’t revive or be revived, although that was part of it. It was that I was simultaneously dead and alive, with elements of each state. The sticky doesn’t give that detail, and perhaps something about my bug report can help solve the other one.

I do appreciate the advice on how to deal with it in future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay. And that is odd. It’s also why I included:

What I meant was: Your dying and not being able to resurrect, then having to leave the game and rejoin, may have caused other unusual (game) behavior.

I’m not implying that you should not have created this bug report. My links to other threads in other forums was only meant to show you that this issue or variations of this issue has happened to other players.

You have done the correct thing by reporting it here. And you’ve done a great job in providing the necessary information.

You have done all you can do at this point. You’ve reported the issue and provided a great deal of information. Blizzard’s QA Team will read it and hopefully pass this information on to Blizzard’s Developers. Blizzard does not respond in this Bug Report Forum. (Except maybe in extremely rare situations).

I won’t respond here further, as I don’t want to turn this thread into a discussion, which is frowned on in the Bug Report Forum.
Good luck and good hunting to you and your husband in your future adventures!