Should spellbooks be back on D4?

Bigger sword please.

Wolcen’s skill system works somewhat like this (though it retains 3 archetype bases rather than being fully classless). I’ve been playing the beta and have enjoyed the way choices work. E.g. deciding on which modifiers to select as the skill levels with use.

I didn’t undestand, sorry.

My pov is:

• Specific skill tome: we find a book or scroll that teach us how to use that skill better.

• Class skill tome: we find a book or scroll that teach us our class’ techniques. From there one can think it like we decide to focus our learning in one technique over others.

• General skill tome: i can see it being a thing if it was for D1 in which we can learn magic, and find an ancient tome could increase our general knowledge and power. But for a class system i don’t see how an ancient tome that talks of something we don’t know would make us punch or kick hardder.

My point is that if they want to teach us ancient ways to improve our techniques, then it makes more sence if the books talk about those techniques.

With all that, i also think that the main reason to have more specific tomes is more about add flavor to the whole thing. A single tome that works for all, it is just something else that can drop, while the other thing creates a whole system.

Not kicking or jumping BUT people who practice HEMA study medieval books showing the correct posture, moves, etc.

On Gothic 1, when you start the game, your moves with a 1 handed weapon are awful. Looks like a generikun shonen protagonist. When you find someone who trains you in “one handed”, your posture and moves change to something more historically accurate.

I can pick in my mind the same happening with a tome.

The last that i can remember

I strongly agree.

Yes, but wouldn’t that be a class tome and not a general tome for all classes? If i want to learn boxing, i wouldn’t go to read a HEMA book.

But even if the class tome is the one that makes more sence to me, i still like more the specific skills ones. The reason is that in D1 (which i am playing atm) when a book drops, you not always get the one you want, and the ones for more powerful skills are hardder to get.

If they go with a general tome, then each time a book drops, you can increase the skill you want, and if they do the class books, then you only need to divide that between the amount of classes but is the same thing.

Not really the point, which is that you never talk about anything new.

The General skill tome reflects that time and effort that the character actually put into improving their skills while you were not playing the game. You can say in your head that in that time they were at a training ground practicing. Heck you can even say it is image training much like what is said about Dragon Ball franchise image training. Where in your mind you are practicing fireball and with that practice you see how to improve your skill at fireball. Reading a tome just is a reflection of what the character has done without actually going through the steps.

That way a player doesn’t have to keep searching for a specific tome. Plus they can keep a few skill tomes lying around to improve their skills when they want to.

See how I used my imagination to show what could be done all without reading. Remember reading a tome isn’t gonna empower a spell. Unless it is an enchanted tome with a special spell for doing that. Then the ones that improve physical skills wouldn’t be good either. Because that means that after a period of time player would never need to physically train with their weapons again.

I am actually saying that the player’s character learns how to improve their skills on their own after learning the basic technique. Or if you really wanted to stretch it a bit. The skill tomes could be a reflection of them actually reading tomes of that skill from the books they have available to them. But that is saying that the classes are dumb as a stump and cannot figure out how to improve their skills. When I am saying that they can do just that which is why skill tomes that are general are fine with me.

But D1 was made with random books in mind. If you can choose what to get, then everyone will fully maximize apocalypse(on hellfire since the skill is staff only on classic D1).

The fact that facing Skeleton King with and without holy bolt are two different experiences is what makes D1 replayability be better than D3. You don’t know what spells you will get just like you don’t know what weapons you will get.

There aren’t much new things to talk about Diablo. Because there aren’t new things.

But i wanna ask you since you uses this forum much more than me. Will be necros on D IV?

I ask this not only because is my favorite class. Is also because is rare to see necromancy implemented in a good way. Most people on RPG codex agrees that Diablo 2 had one of the best necromancies among RPG’s and the tipical warrior, sorcerer or marksman, i can play in 657653763652654*10²³ other games.

Here is a thread where codexers discuss necromancies in RPG’s.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/best-necromancy-on-rpgs.130867/

I know that is off topic, but i will not create a topic only to ask this.

If by “in a good way” you only mean “a summoner who creates massive armies who then mow down everything in the Necromancer’s path,” then you’ll probably hate almost every iteration of the Necromancer from here until the end of the time.

The game is pretty good at making at least 1 Holy Bolt book drop early on, plus there’s Shrines that will level and/or drop it as well.

Besides, once you get to the Catacomb levels all you need to do is run through them a couple times to find a bunch of books from the libraries, and check Adria. Never had any trouble getting the spells I wanted after that point - IE Fireball and Lightning Bolt.

For this kind of game, the skillpoint system is the best one.

Gonna give a slight yes, but a very slight one, the following rules should occur (IMO)

1. You CANNOT consume the tome if you already have the skill researched
  2. Only certain (particular) skills should get used (CC or Damage, no escape, no defensive, no ulti)

I’m actually curious to what the system could bring that way, for ex. a Firewall Barb or Earthquake + Storm Druid for ex. :slight_smile:

The entire point of tomes was to get multiples, thus raising your spell level each time you read a new tome.

How would you raise your level, and what would you do with excess tomes?

Not only summoning. Cursing, damaging, controlling, etc.

But you are right with “probably hate almost every iteration of the Necromancer from here until the end of the time.”

But this doesn’t restrict to necromancer. My favorite type of magic in RPG’s is frost/water mage and Gothic 3 IMO has the best water mage that i saw in my life. Diablo 2 is clearly superior in necromancy to the greatest majority of games in this aspect(necromancy)

On G1, Saturas only takes you as a apprentice on chapter 4 and on G2, you can’t become a water mage, but on G3, you can level up few times, get a little of ancient knowledge and pay for a druid or a water mage to teach you ice lance. On the begining, i was able to cast it only 6 times and ran out of mana(mana regen is a expensive skill that only 3 mages in the world can teach you), but at end game, i was nuking cities out of existence and freeing cities conquered by orcs in few minutes. And Saturas will only teach the strongest water mage spells if you side with no one in the eternal conflict between Innos and Beliar.

This type of progression, i don’t see in many modern games. And i love the gunplay experience of fallout new vegas by a reason. At the beginning, you have a 9mm pistol that jams a lot. At end game, you have a arsenal of deadly weapons. Anti materiel rifles with explosive rounds, fully automatic machine guns, SCI-fi armor like power armor. That is so amazing…

Diablo 1/2 had a satisfying progression.

Trade? Sell?

Why?

because it gives the player an aspect of planing and safe achievements, beside the complete random gear drop.
you level up and you improve your character in the exact way, that you imagine.
sure, your awesome, mighty barbarian might not find his perfect waraxe on his way, down to hell. but he knows, he wants to be a whirlwinding barbarian and thats just what he will become. some things should rely on RNG, some should not.

For me I think it’s better for a few reasons.

First off, I think it better represents a more natural and realistic growth of a character as when it comes to certain things reading a book will only get you so far. I may read a lot about medieval arms and armour, but that doesn’t make me a master at swinging a sword. I don’t have enough experience in that area to have things like a good stance or good edge alignment.

Reading a book isn’t a substitute for real world experience, which is better represented by having skill points you get upon leveling up.

Secondly, it makes for a better game mechanic because it allows for people to theorycraft and plan out character builds. The book system also means that given enough play time we all know every spell. The only thing in Diablo 1 that stops this is you haven’t farmed or traded for all the books yet.

Even the Warrior in Diablo 1, the class with the lowest magic cap, can get over 200 magic from items to learn every spell in the game. In Hellfire, a Warrior can even learn max level Apocalypse.

As great as Diablo 1 is, there is honestly very little difference between any two characters of the same class. Even of different classes, the main thing is the stat caps you have to play with.

That in D2 BUT on D3, you end up with the same char of everyone else. Just another clone…

But i get it. If you wanna use fireball and find no book of fireball, you can’t use, a warrior can have a similar experience with a less desirable weapon

Yep. You are right BUT most tomes on D1 have MAG requirement and you need to adventure, gain XP and invest into MAG to learn advanced spells and high level spells.

I agree that this is a huge D1 problem BUT if they had softcaps on stats and not hardcaps it would make each character more unique.

But look to Dark Souls, the level cap is 713 with everything at 99 BUT most people play the end game PVP around lv 70 to 150. I finished the NG for the fist time at lv 75, less than 10% of the level cap. And the NG+ at 115.

Actually the low Magic cap for Warrior/Rogue means that most people are just going to need to put on the correct gear rather than do any actual adventuring and leveling up.

Which the most effective way of doing that is resetting Griswold’s inventory until he’s selling the proper items.

It would help but it wouldn’t do a whole lot when everybody has all the same abilities outside of the 1 basic ability for each class.

Diablo isn’t Dark Souls.

People hit 99 in Diablo 2 all the time. People grind until they’ve got full primal ancients in Diablo 3. People in Diablo 1 grinded spell books(if they were playing legit).

It also wasn’t even hard when the dungeon/catacombs had tons of bookcases.

This is another reason that i believe that stats on gear should’t exist or be extremely more limited… And not stacking and able to be dispelled.

Character and class are two different things.

A Sorcerer with a max level guardian spell and 200 MAG is different compared to a Sorcerer with 220 MAG and no guardian spell on D1. A Elemental Druid and a Weredruid are different on D2. But every lv 70 necro is the same on D3. Every Witch Doctor is the same. Every barbarian is the same.

And the main difference between a action adventure game to a ARPG is that on the ARPG, i an supposed to be able to “customize” my character. Tomb Raider had a fix protagonist, Lara Croft is lara croft regardless of the player choices. In other hands, ARPG’s with fix protagonist like Gothic and Fable allows you to decide what the hero will learn, improve, etc in what order.

There are nothing wrong with not being a ARPG, in fact action games are more popular. I know people who purchased a P$4 only for the God of War… The problem is when a game that is marketed as a ARPG loses all RPG on it.

All the time, not. Probably less than 0,01% of people who played D2 reached lv 99. On D1 ladder, there are a couple of high level players for dozens of thousands of active players… High level is rare. Mainly legit high level players. My guess is that less than 1% reached above lv 95.

Thats not an equivalent
Maybe, a specific weapon is more important to a warrior in real life
But this is a game and gear is gear, while skills are skills
The mage wants to use fireballs and he levels fireballs, the warrior wants to use whirlwind and he levels whirlwind
All classes operate the same way
Except maybe for the arsenal system but that wasn’t my idea