Sever Used in Monk Builds

Does anyone know why Sever is used by almost all the top Monk builds in the Season 21 PS4 leaderboard?

As a gag?

The sever has a unique attack it does once a target has died. It hits the corpse for thousands of times higher damage than the hit that killed the target. It results in seeing ridiculously large damage numbers displaying. I once saw a damage number for -2,147,483,648T. Thats 2.1 billion trillion or 2.1 sextillion. Yes, it put a negative sign in front of the number, likely a result of the limit of bits capable of being processed. The damage is pointless as it only occurs once the target is already dead and it cannot proc area damage.

Supposedly, it kills the corpse, preventing it from being reanimated. Possible usefulness verses fallen mob types.

Additionally, the Sever also rolls damage to demons as a secondary stat. Up to 10%.

PoJ monks have an open weapon slot that can be any one handed weapon they want. I prefer the vengful wind for movement speed, some go with echoing fury, some azurewrath. It could be anything though.

Sever can offer 3 primary stat rolls compared to 2 on other weapons.

Sever, as a sword, has a higher damage range than pig sticker too as an example.

A perfectly rolled Sever might be better than Azurewrath etc…

Also, the last damage is buffed by 50000% --> big Area Damage

Except it can’t proc area damage…

My initial guess is that when Blizzard made the fix to Sever so it wouldn’t proc area damage, they overlooked the fix to the console version of the game like Energy Twister.

Maybe I’m wrong and it’s used just for its stats, but if it still does proc area damage, why aren’t more builds besides Monk using Sever?

I just find it interesting that you only see Sever used by Monk players at the top of the PS4 leaderboard. I wonder if if it’s the same on the Xbox Monk leaderboard.

Hmmmmm that requires another test on PC and Console then…it may be different as GoodEats says…

2 Likes

I play on xbox, currently #1 HC monk. We are not using the sever.

I have thoroughly tested the sever with the TR monk; it does not proc area damage off of the Sever corpse hit on xbox.

1 Like

That’s very interesting. Thanks for looking into it. Is there something with Sever that only affects the PS4 version of the game or is everyone just copying each other at the top of the leaderboard?

Sever is the weapon of choice for 8 of the top 10 players in the PS4 SC Monk leaderboard.

Not that I have seen. I am currently rank 25, season 21 POJ Monk on Xbox One. Usually Azure Wrath and Won Kym Lao with balance in the cube. Haven’t seen anyone using sever.

Theres nothing unique about the sever for just ps, that I know of. It is likely people are just copying each other.

On xbox, sunwuko TR is the top pushing build, so we don’t have the option.

A tactic is basically not the same as a death tactic. With normal damage rolls, everything is in the area of effect, so not effected by the savage planet. This kind of spell source, includes legendary gem types, that need rank, to be socketed. This can identify nature elements.

If your an apprentice, your only given a soft gear, until you apply one of the custom mage armors. With this type of spell, it means higher level spells than the person who cast it in the region.

A blast, could be auto countered by hero units, blue lanterns, or world effects, that created there spell.

Thingamajig Warlock chapter.

I think something got lost in the translation here. Can anyone decipher what @Sinn was trying to post? I’d really like to know what he was writing about.

He has posted like this before, I’m guessing he is using a translator and English is not his first language?

It is pretty entertaining…

I don’t think it is about diablo 3. Sometimes it reminds me of A.I. that is learning how to intereact with people online. Seems it has figured out this forum is about gaming and maybe even an RPG, but it doesn’t appear to know enough details about D3.

I’m curious to watch it learn…

I’ll just point out the now infamous Amethyst is currently rank 1 on the Monk PS4 leaderboard with Sever equipped. Doing a GR 150 in under one minute clearly shows us how overpowered using the Sever is for a Monk build.

Its not the sever letting him do the 150s in that time…

Dude he could use any weapon and he would clear a GR150 in 1 minute, his gear is modded, check his amulet, it has billions of damage on it thus his gear is irrelevant.

I guess my sarcasm didn’t come across in my post. Yeah it’s quite clear to anyone looking at his build that it wasn’t the Sever weapon that allowed him to clear a GR 150 in under a minute.

Still it is interesting that he could’ve equipped any weapon for his modded monstrosity, and he chose Sever for his build.

1 Like