Seven-Sides Strike bugged, or am I doing it wrong?

Monk was my very first class in Diablo 3… but that’s just another way of saying that I haven’t played one in yonks, since I got my fill in the early days and then moved on to other classes, largely. For this season, though, I decided to reincarnate my original Monk and run him through the paces again! However, I’m having some trouble with my old favorite attack - Seven-Sided Strike.

Basically, it… doesn’t seem to be working half the time? SOMETIMES it works, sure, particularly against bosses, but anytime I unleash it on an Elite Mob or whatever, it seems to be a coin-flip whether it will do ANYTHING WHATSOEVER, or just whiff completely somehow. My monk rushes around for a quarter-second, throwing punches at the air while tons of enemies mill around him, completely untouched…

What’s going on? >_>

SSS deals dmg to exactly 1 enemy (if you do not use that aoe rune). If the enemy teleports - its over, no dmg at all.

What? That can’t be right. When it DOES work, the punches definitely fall on 7 separate targets in the general area… assuming, of course, that there ARE multiple targets there.

Well, sometimes. But that’s the way it’s always worked, right? 7 hits to random targets within the area, be it a single boss or 7 critters out of a huge mob. Except when it somehow hits ZERO targets out of a group…

one target per hot, yaeh and yaeh, sometimes no hit at all but i only saw that when enemys vanish (port eg)

I think I finally figured it out… SSS is HITTING, for the most part, it’s just doing so pathetically little damage that I mostly don’t even notice that it did ANYTHING. If I use it against a low-end trash-mob, I can actually see it having an effect, throwing a handful of Boglings or whatever around. Against Elite Mobs, though, it barely managed to tickle them, so it seems like it just whiffed entirely - and Elite Mobs is exactly where you’d usually put a long-cooldown attack like that to use, right?

I don’t understand WHY it deals so little damage, though. Notably, my Wave of Light deals way more damage, while having no cooldown and only slightly higher Spirit-cost. I’ve got both Pinto’s Pride and the Flow of Eternity cubed, and no other bonuses on EITHER of them… so that’s a 150% damage-boost for WoL and 100% for SSS - but SSS has a MUCH higher base damage, 8285 versus 1045, so it should still be dishing out significantly more, right?

And yet, it doesn’t. One WoL will wipe out an entire mob of regular critters, while SSS just manages to lightly annoy seven of them. Using the Fulminating Onslaught rune DOES help, but even then, that only puts it on par with WoL for dealing with large groups - while being much WORSE at dealing with BOSSES and other elites. What’s going on here? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Get gungdo gear and uliana. You’ll see it do damages. Obviously a lot of other gear. Btw, that set is dog poop now. Wish it weren’t, it’s a lot of fun to see a giant explosion.

no, sss also then deals no dmg, its simply uli that gets palm doing its dmg :wink:
just to say: even in early patches sss was useless. wol got many buffs over time and spirit reg is your friend.
btw i managed to clear a 130 with uliana ,its the current funniest build :slight_smile:

I will agree with [Arcterious] assessment. I did the seasonal Monk armors and found the Uliana and Raiment sets hard mode. Switching to POJ and or Sunwuko and it becomes easy mode relatively speaking.

Hi.

Try using Uliana set built. I’m doing it right now after 7 years away from the game. Took me some time to recall back. But with some help from my friends. I manage to recall back. Testing T10 GR70 Solo. Tweak here and there slowly. (Have to be patient )
Start from lower Torment and gradually increase Torment level and test the Monk Uliana set. Watching YouTube Monk built - research, gave me a rough idea what I need to do. Result : Boom Boom Boom Exploding Palm with SSS. Follower : Templer with some cool items to boost legendary powers to Monk. It’s quite interesting. During GR , I was lucky to get some Primal Ancient ( red frame glow )
With some time, I believe can get better Uliana sets n others items too.

Gonna try to increase Torment level and test out the build slowly again. Patient is the key.

1 Like