Set auras don't look that great as of now

I know some aspects probably haven’t been addressed as of yet in the alpha and might look different in the best and such but I just want to point out how bad the current set aura looks compared to the original one

it doesn’t look natural, it looks like something kid would put on with photoshop, I’m sure they will try to fix it

4 Likes

I do not understand.
Looks yet fantastic. <3
i like this more than the older effect

9 Likes

I agree - looks a lot better than vanilla one.

3 Likes

Looks really nice! I hope they dont change anything.

2 Likes

it isn’t even centered on the character model right, they could most definitely make it better

1 Like

I think it’s centered right, I think it may be because of how her character’s body leans forward when she runs now, that it gives that feeling that it isn’t centered, since the glow doesn’t conform to her body as it leans.

Anyways, I think it looks good, very small nitpick though, is I think the glow is a little too far reaching, I’d be okay if the glow’s distance was reduced slightly (an easy tweak by VV), but otherwise, it looks fine to me.

2 Likes

That’s pretty gorgeous

Looks good to me, but I would make the rays a little bit clearer so that you can better distinguish them from each other.

1 Like

Looks good to me. I dont want complete set being so shiny anyway.

I like the aura. I feel that it doesn’t work well with the light radius aspect of the game. Instead of the aura light flowing out and illuminating the surrounding area. This aura light seems to make the contrast of light to dark worse.

I’m guessing the problem is not the aura but rather how light radius works. I’d love to see some experiments with how light radius works.

2 Likes

It’s more subtle and pretty the way it is now. I say don’t change it.

1 Like

It is gold in the original. The initial reference could indeed be Byzantine mosaic art which are among the first representations with gold and not rays of light. It is how they used to represent it.
https://i.ibb.co/sWjXrD2/d2r-iconography.jpg

• Just like in the references, the legacy version effect is flat blotch perpendicular to the viewer/player’s eye.
  • Unlike the current d2Ra version, Mosaics are not transparent. Whether they are sharp or have round edges, they are opaque with sharp contrast on the edges.
  • Mozaik are more lively than paintings because each facet dynamically shines as the viewer or the sun moves. It’s an early pixel art which feels more historically evocative in the legacy version.
  • Another reference could be that the effect of the hero (historically “icon” for iconography) looks like a portal (a bit like Cain taking his portal). Portals have finite borders and are not infinite rays.

Realism is not always the right criteria. I rather ask : what makes d2 immersive and how people used to imagine rays of light in the middle age.

At least it’s close, but yes I think it should or could look like golden abstracted opaque rays and not actual light. Anyway, I agree the set effect should look different from the glow effect of the Valkyrie, because it is how d2 original is.

3 Likes

I think it looks fine :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I dont like how it looks blurry around character but i dont use sets so dont matter to me hah

i think how the valkyrie shine looks the best… i dont like how the set one rotates.

While taking into account that this is likely from outside the original alpha. I would say that the aura rotates way to fast and is not golden enough. I think it coming to an abrupt dark edge looks better. The last isn’t horribly important though.

1 Like

it should give longer light radius :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes it should definitely give a bigger light radius. These seem to cause issues with the light radius making it almost ‘smaller’.

1 Like

It looks a bit blurred and maybe moves a tiny little bit too fast, but otherwise it is fine.

What worries me more is, that M’avina’s armor doesn’t have the typically “Sigon’s Gray” color.

Looks way too bright and the animation is a little fast. Kind of strains the eyes.

1 Like