Separate Strict Remaster and Modern Realms in D2R

Would you, other forum members, be ok with a separate “strict remaster” realm and a separated “modern realm” with more changes in D2R?

19 Likes

I’m all for having options.
The positive is it would appease both sides.
The negative is it would split the community. That being said, since the game is going to be a global community, there will be a whole lot more people, so splitting may not be that bad.

11 Likes

I would want the Strict Realm to still have the Announced QoL and Accessibility features but sure.

I have always been for a separate realm, with more complex/modern changes. Go crazy with it even. Maybe unrestricted realm doesnt have legacy mode so its not tided down by the old art assets, So new skills, monsters, items could be added with out needing to make old 2D looking assets.

4 Likes

Depends.

What “more changes?” I might not like one or more and that may then be a deal breaker. I might not always want strict either and desire some flexibility.

So, ideally, all changes would have an on/off so I can customize the game to what I’ll enjoy. Maybe I don’t want Runes… so give me the option to disable them.

2 Likes

If you don’t saddle my remaster with the abominations of modern gameplay, you can create whatever amalgamated, modernized, resemblant of D3 trash heap you’d like.

I say this with love.

10 Likes

And MY axe!

I mean, aye!

This would give people options and it would keep each realm’s community united by the same deep gameplay rules. I think there’d be more than enough players for a separate p-loot realm.

Far better than having that deep optional change dividing players within the same realm’s community, imo.

9 Likes

That is the field for mods, as it has been for 20y

1 Like

The issue is Blizzard has already announced that mods that inject into D2R will not be allowed. The popular D2 mods do exactly that and I recall some of the popular mod makers have stated that they will not make a new mod for D2R.

3 Likes

Hey Micro,

What kind of things would you want in this Other Realm? Adapted game systems(ploot options) is clearly a big thing on your mind for it. But what other things would you think would be good for it?

Item and Skill Balances? New Items? New Skills?

1 Like

Im sure there will be some tool release to help modders build their servers avoiding that inject issue

well, blizz has never released Tools for Diablo games before. So I wouldnt count on that.

Dont get me wrong I would love mod making tools for Diablo 2. But I wouldnt bank on it being a thing.

1 Like

Iirc they said that there will be mod support for d2r

I am going to completely dodge the question. I think for this thread it is best to keep it vague to keep the discussion more philosophical than getting into the nitty-gritty.

Having said that, I think my answer would depend on what continued support D2R will have after release which is unclear to me.

3 Likes

The game will ahve support in terms of anticheat and few more, id say maybe there will be a minor patch in the future with some impact in the gameplay but i dont really think so, as it makes no sense to have a remaster different to the original game in terms of gameplay, imo

1 Like

Correct, but they also stated that mods that inject into D2R will be forbidden. See the quote below:

In a post-reveal interview from BlizzConline, lead producer Chris Lena tells us that Blizzard appreciates the way the modding community has helped keep Diablo 2 alive, but some choices had to be made in how Resurrected would support that work. “There have been mods in the past that injected code straight into the game, and those are the kind of things that we cannot support,” he said. “But all the other mods – you know, the ones that use data and that sort of thing – we love to see those.”

See:
Diablo 2: Resurrected won’t support all mods, but making them should be easier | PCGamesN

2 Likes

If you were Blizzard… Would you really allocate the resources to develop all of this on a remaster? They got their money out of it.
this is all a fantasy or its stuff you will see private modders dedicate their resources into doing.
No, they are taking all of these ideas and if they deem them valuable, will see them in D4, the game they will charge a premium for that will contain a ton of new features.

1 Like

Even without updates, things like loot filters could be in said separate realm. because like ploot options, once implemented they wouldnt need tinkering.

Do I detect a Lord of the Rings reference here, sir?!

2 Likes

If I were Blizzard, I would allocate the amount of resources necessary to maximize my net profit by selling the most copies of the game with the least amount of financial investment in development/maintenance.

2 Likes

Right, and that points towards a new game, not a remaster.