Season 20: Season of the Necro

I’m normally all for shaking up the meta and giving players new ways to play, but there is one glaring issue with next season’s theme. One class, necro, has access to many different blanket buffs via cubeable legendary powers.

As it stands now, “rat runs” utilizing singularity mages are and have been the speed meta basically since the release of necromancer. There have been a few alternatives such as Vyr’s wizard, charge barb, and whirlwhind barb for gaining paragon, but due to season 20’s theme rat runs will become so superior to every other alternative that they will be mandatory for competitive players.

Regarding group play necro has traditionally only been an option for the rift guardian killer with several alternatives. Thanks to the season theme it now is looking to be the top rift clearing option as well as the rift guardian killer. I can’t confirm this, but what I’ve gathered from many streams as well as calculations done through d3planner this looks to be likely.

Giving the necro the ability to fill more positions is good, but I’m concerned it will fill every position too well. We all know how exclusionary GR groups can be due to expecting players to run whatever is the most efficient to gain paragon, level gems, or farm keys. I’d hate for players to feel blacklisted if they don’t play necro next season.

My suggestion would be to give reapers wraps an internal cooldown, decrease singularity mage damage, and/or decrease health orb generation via the necromancer passive to reel in rat runs. I’d also suggest a cap on bloodtide blade to make sure poison nova necro doesn’t blow the alternatives out of the water like star pact wizard did.

2 Likes

You’re either clueless or trolling. Necro is the worst class in the game according to blizzards own stats

I don’t want my class nerfed because of something stupid like paragon farming. Push blizzard to fix the system if you have a problem with it. Suggesting a necro nerf when it sucks solo is ridiculous.

4 Likes

I’m not referring to solo only group play. Necro is well known to be top dog for paragon farming as well as rgk for many seasons. I’m not trolling…

Additionally the changes I’m suggesting don’t impact any known solo necro builds.

1 Like

Solo balance comes first. The real issue with rat runs is paragon being flawed at the core.

As for the rgk… If it’s the only rgk then buff other rgk to be competitive. Don’t nerf the only one we have

1 Like

If you read my post you’d see I never suggested any changes that would impact solo necro builds or the known rgk builds. My suggestion would reel in rats and keep poison nova from dominating the rift clearing position in group play.

???

Also suggesting a preemptive nerf on death Nova is idiotic. Star pact is a problem because it’s both been op for a long time and it’s also essentially a bug in the devs eyes

Also:

THE GAME IS NOT BALANCED AROUND SEASON BUFFS

3 Likes

Do you even know what the top solo necro builds are currently? Nobody plays singularity mages solo and only that build requires health globe generation to function.

As far as preemptively asking for a nerf to bloodtide blade go search “poison nova nec trash killer” on YouTube and you can judge for yourself if you think that build will have any competition. That group crushed a 150 with 1700 paragon and zero augments. It WILL be a problem if it goes live.

It’s the second best build after lancer nonseasonal… And they’re not that far apart. Even if it was trash (which its not even close to), WHY WOULD YOU NERF IT EVEN MORE???

people are clearing 150s in 4 minutes lol… its not a “problem” if necro actually has a gr150 viable trash clear build. Also, star pact is possible the timing is just tighter. Theres proof of this if you cared to look rather than make uninformed posts.

And if we’re talking about the same video, they relied heavily on condiuit pylons and the necro wasn’t able to kill elites efficiently. It was pretty bad. Not even close to the level of starpact one shot. He sat there for almost a minute with just a single group of trash from what i saw.

Again, buff other trash clear, don’t nerf necro.

Regardless if they nerfed singularity or globe generation, lancer is top and the only reason people play singularity at all is because it’s non season and they can survive with the massive paragon they have obtained.

And yes, clearing a 150 in 4 min is a problem. Wizards are currently double dipping on channeling multipliers allowing wizards to obliterate 150s WITH HYDRA NOT statpact. I don’t want to see one broken build (poison nova necro) replace the one it took them what 7 seasons to nerf (bazooka wiz).

I guarantee we weren’t watching the same video because they would have beaten that rift without conduit and none the less at 1700 paragon, on a laggy ptr server, with gear they had to farm up from scratch, and NO augments.

With rats getting a massive buff this season players will easily reach into the 5-6k paragon range in the top end and that build will be doing 150s like they are a joke. The hardest content in a game should never be a joke.

The. Game. Is. Not. Balanced. Around. Season. Buffs.

2 Likes

No… This season mages were played quite a bit more than lancer

I’m not saying it should be. I’m saying it should be balanced to remove extreme outliers (star pact wiz, rats, and now blood nova). Also take note that every infinitely stacking damage multiplier one by one is getting capped. Crusader rgk shield, thorns necro offhand, and now should come bloodtide blade.

There is a big difference between the two. Bone ringer and shield of fury were super buffed versions of bane of the stricken. Bloodtide is limited by the number of enemies rather than how long you spend attacking a single time. It doesn’t give you broken single target damage the same way.

If death nova is broken just like sp, why isn’t it at least somewhat competitive with sp on live?

I played necro this season. With a sub 110 clear, I’m still in top150 of the leaderboards, that’s how weak necro is.

If this season theme means that necros get a day in the sun, that’s fine with me even if I’ll be maining a different class for S20.

1 Like

Is bloodtide blade buffing a skill that is meant for single target? No, it buffs blood nova which is an aoe skill and will be used for rift clear. And its stacks as high as the count of monsters it hits which admittedly isn’t infinite, but via pixel stacking the multiplier reaches several thousand. Let me repeat that one item can grant several thousand percent damage to a skill.

The only reason this has flown under the radar up to this point is because bazooka wiz was better. Now that bazooka is out of the picture this build can shine. Unfortunately the season theme takes this build from good and competitive to absolutely broken.

You are correct in saying the game shouldn’t be balanced around seasonal themes but at the same time extreme outliers that kill any oppurtunity for multiple classes to participate in group roles should be fixed. This season could have witch doctors, wizards, and necros clearing rifts, but because of one necro build vastly outperforming the rest you won’t. I don’t want necros to suck, but I also want there to be competitive alternatives.

It isn’t vastly overpreforming… It hasn’t even gone live yet. It drives me insane how people ask for nerfs to something just because of something they saw on YouTube

And it doesn’t “prevent other classes from participating” like wiz did with last season buff. You literally didn’t need a rgk because wiz could kill trash and get angels. You can at least use a crus or something now.

Believe me I want them to be more competitive, but I also don’t want every high end group composition to require two or more necros or only necros doing dps. Rats isn’t fun as is so I definitely don’t want the rift clear and rgk in 4man to also be just necro.

1 Like

For a guy with no linked account, you like to talk a lot of crap. Go away troll, you’re boring.

1 Like

How often do you push GR? Top solo builds that can’t farm efficiently don’t mean anything most of the time, and people do play singularity mages for solo farming.

Depending on your definition of farming necro has other builds that do that well. Look I’m not here to debate the relevance of one of necros multiple builds. The fact of the matter and point of my post is singularity mages enables players to farm incredible amounts of xp per hour in groups and this has been the speed meta for many seasons. There have been slightly worse alternatives but rat runs have been king for quite some time. People are sick of them to the point that they will run less efficient alternatives just to break up the monotony.

Necro has been a staple of group play since it came out. They may suck at solo currently, but will surely gain a new top build once they get they’re new set and hopefully some buffs to their other sets.