S18 Sunwuko/Crimson Rush

As we have noted in previous threads, Tempest Rush is not at all in a good place. It is quite squishy and it does not deal nearly as much damage as it should, especially given how spirit-intensive the channeling ability is. However, that does not mean it doesn’t provide a good bit of fun! I, for one, welcome a change from the endless hours of WoL and Support. As such, I have a slight continuation from the old forums in which I am theory-crafting new ways to make the TR build work. This said, I feel the new Captain Crimson buffs should prove quite interesting in incorporating into the existing TR builds.

The link to the build I put together is on Diablo Fans. Since I cannot post a link into these forums, just enter the diablo fans domain name and use the below path for the url.

/builds/104842-s18-sunwuko-crimson-rush

This build is a Sunwuko variant. I am playing around with Sunwuko first instead of Inna because Sunwuko will allow for two one-handed weapons equipped while Inna will require the Inna Two-Handed Daibo to make work. While not awful, it is widely understood that two one-handers outclasses the two-handed weapons in most situations. Tempest Rush is not an exception to this. However, Inna could prove stronger in the long run due with the Inna Daibo (I have my doubts). Testing it will make it clear.

If anyone has suggestions, feel free to point out anything you see that may benefit from a change. I have not given this build a try on my non-seasonal account yet but I plan to toy around with it at some point.

Cheers!

Try using Echoing Fury, as the IAS will directly increase the damage of TR.

And aim for enough cooldown to keep Epiphany::Ascendance up 100% of the time as it will both trigger Cesar’s Memento and provide spirit regen.

If you can do that, you can ditch Blinding Flash for Serenity, which can save you in those tricky situations.

And if Spirit regen is a problem consider using Hexing Pants instead of Mantle of Channeling, or possibly you could use it in the cube instead of Crudest Boots.

That said, I think a LoD/LoN TR build may have better equipment option which could outperform a Sunwuko TR build.

Currently working toward a LoD/LoN TR build. I’ll try to update on it’s progress.

Can any one tell me why, tempest rus damage is so low? I have a wol lod build with less aincents then my TR lod build. But with TR i crit for around 20- 25b but with wol its from 300b- 450b… i just dont get it.

I have cesars 650% on me , and staff in cube…

My math just do not add up… how mutch % damage do you get for WOL 800%ca while tr items can get 1300%ca…

Some thing smells funny

WoL has more multipliers than TR. WoL has Torch (6.5x), Kyo Blade (2.5x to 3.5x), Pinto’s (2.5x) and Tzo Krin’s (roughly 2.5x). TR gets Cesar’s (9x when procced), Balance (7x), Hexing (1.25x) and Mantle of Channeling (1.25x) plus the biggest multiplier is dependent on the target being affected by a CC effect and not immune and depending on attack speed for the number of times TR “ticks” on the target (more attack speed means faster ticks of TR damage but also more spirit drain. WoL is a one shot effect for a huge area that also can take great use of Area Damage.

Also TR is a lower base damage than WoL. TR is 390% damage and WoL is 835% damage.

1 Like

Tnx for clearing that up, btw dident they make attack speed give tr more damage, and not more ticks??

The math is a bit murky about TR mechanics. Davlok had a thread in the old forums but even that didn’t go into too much detail. I know they did make adjustments to TR a while ago to increase the damage of the ticks instead of increasing the number of ticks but higher attack speed does increase the spirit usage of TR. Using 2 1-handers instead of a 2-hander will definitely make you burn through your spirit faster.

Yeah, the spirit consumption is just broken.

TR ticks 5 times per second regardless of your attack speed.

There was a patch many many moons ago that affected all channeling skills, such that IAS directly increased damage rather than actually increasing the number of attacks per second. This was an across the board change for all channeling skills for each class.

There are a number of ways to boost your damage with TR but they are all minor (Hexing Pants, Mantle of Channeling, Captain Crimson’s, etc,…). TR will not be competitive with other Monk builds unless it gets another major multiplier, sadly.

1 Like