S17: should I bother?

Not a new player but considering returning after a v long time. [edit] S7 was last time I played.

At the time the endgame grind was overly repetitive (so, tiresome) and I decided I would probably not be back unless it was to check out the Necro pack, and … idk … something just “bit” me recently and I feel the time has arrived. :wink:

So, plz refresh my memory: is ~13 days long enough to have a casualish crack at completing the journey and earning the rewards? (Casualish = Not looking to play this game like a job but my schedule is pretty open. I could probably put 20 hrs. a week into it.)

At the least it could be considered a warmup for S18 but I’m just curious. And the S17 buff sounds pretty OP so I’d like to check that. Hopefully not get too spoiled for when it goes away. :expressionless: (Actually S18 buff sounds pretty decent, too, + the “S17 carryover” gem which I read about.)

Suggestions on class/build? I’m partial to DH but I’ve played all classes and I’m basically fine w/ any. I like WMD/DPS-type builds. Something that can work in a party but also smash everything alone if I have to.

Probably not gonna play Nec this time around just cuz it won’t be a good time for a learning curve/smelling the roses, tho I’ll most likely buy the x-pack.

Thanks for any helpful comments!

Yes, if you are efficient with your time you can complete the seasonal journey before seasons end.

If you have help you can complete it much earlier.

I primary DH, so my recommendation might be a little skewed, but DH is your best bet for completing the season quickly. Build a UE and an S6 for rifts and GR’s, keep Nat’s and Marauders for set dungeons. Also keep off class set items so you can get the Years of War conquest done.

It will be some work, but you can do it. Lots of folks finish the season in the first week or so.

If you concentrate on completing the Season Journey, you can do it in about 20 to 30 game hours.

I completed the Season 17 journey in just over 26 hours, completely solo. It is even easier if you have help.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the input!

BTW I see now S7 was last I played.

If you’re looking for more of a worst case scenario: I tend to play fairly inefficiently (I generally can’t resist exploring) and I’ve got about 55 hours in season. (I did play a bit after getting guardian, but not that much.) That’s 100% solo.

One of the fastest level up is with DH Impale. You can definitely finish the season journey within your timeframe. The two easiest conquests are Avarice and The Thrill. The only difficulty this season is doing a third conquest (to get to Guardian threshold and obtain the galactic wings). I suggest two options: to make a second character in softcore and complete the Years of War conquest, or to make a character in hardcore and complete the Super Human conquest.

Thanks, all, for the advice.

Parts of this came right back to me – muscle memory – but parts of it i’m terrible at. So slow lol. Did I mention I also took a break from gaming in general for last several months? So yeah there is a lot of novelty going on.

“Ooh 53 gold?! I better just run over there and pick that up!”

XD

OTOH I swear I beat RoS at least several times, but that whole act is just so unfamiliar to me … like … I don’t even remember playing it at all. I rly had to ask myself if I even did, until I came to certain recognizable things like Urzael etc. So that’s what u get when u play 100% muscle memory / powergamer / speedrun style, don’t read any lore, spacebar thru all convos, etc.

I know it won’t be long until it’s all just a gross grind again tho. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Do you not have a pet? Let them collect the gold.

Hopefully, you know that Adventure mode is unlocked automatically in seasons, so you don’t need to do the campaign. Just run Adventure mode.

You should try to complete the Challenge Rift. Getting the cache is quite useful since it contains a bunch of gold and crafting mats, including Deaths Breaths and bloodshards. This weeks rift is quite easy: NA Challenge Rift 111

Also, this season tracker is quite useful: https://d3resource.com/journey/index.php

If you completed the challenge rift, you will be able to cube an item, I recommend the Leoric’s Crown, since that drops early and often, as well as being a guaranteed drop the first time you kill the Skeleton King in the Campaign (this is one of the only reasons to play the campaign in Seasons.) Then, put the highest quality ruby in your helm.

Another trick to levelling to 70 is to run the dense maps and try to string together the kills for the massacre bonus. For me, that means running the Halls of Agony level 3, Fields of Misery, and Festering Woods (all in Act 1) over and over. Sprinkle in a few rifts in between, and this should help you get to 70 quickly.

Also keep in mind those objectives in the journey, and try to combine them if possible. For example, for chapter 1 you need to complete 5 bounties, and also kill the Skeleton King and Maghda. So wait until those become bounties before killing them. Restart the game as necessary until they come up as bounties. Another advantage of killing bosses when they are bounties is that you get a big chest full of gear as a reward.

Another thing is to get the cube right away. I like to wait until there is a bounty in Sescheron, since you might as well complete a bounty on the way to collecting the cube (which is a chapter 2 objective.)

Also, learn to enchant early. It is important to learn what properties to enchant, and you are better off making mistakes on yellow gear, which can be easily replaced and cost little to enchant, than legendary gear. There is nothing worse than finding a really nice ancient item, then ruining it with improper enchanting.

Also, make sure you save your Puzzle rings and use them in the cube to open the Vault.

1 Like

This Season I created 4 Seasonal Characters. My Normal Seasonal Demon Hunter, an alternate Normal Seasonal Wizard, a Hardcore Seasonal Demon Hunter and an alternate Hardcore Seasonal Wizard.

All of them got Leoric’s Crown at Character Level 7. Of course, exactly where and when they drop is random. But, they all had the Crown before they hit Level 8.

By the way, nice tips for STG. :+1: