Reworked Characters?

Posting repeatedly in a thread that people are whining merits my spam flags.

That’s one post.

That’s another post. It’s trolling or baiting when you post like this, but thanks for the info.

Literally one in every thread. Their opinion is that you shouldn’t have one. Exhausting.

9 Likes

Amazon, Assassin, and Sorceress could all use some work to stay true to the original. The Amazon especially. It’s strange that they’ve decided to beat all the female characters with the ugly/old stick. The Amazon especially. I keep reading theories about how it’s politically motivated, but I don’t really follow all that. It just seems like poor design decisions and overreach; the age on pretty much all the characters cranked up. The Amazon especially. The game is supposed to hit you in the nostalgia, but I don’t have nostalgia for aging. Randomly changing the ethnicity of the Assassin is pretty weird too, maybe the artists believe that only ninjas are assassins and only Asians can be ninjas? I don’t really care about that one, but uglifying and advanced aging all the characters makes them less rather than more appealing to me. The Amazon especially. While I agree that several other gameplay aspects which are still completely up in the air are way more important than this topic, this isn’t a negligible point. I would very much prefer to see all the characters restored to their previous youth and beauty. We’re supposed to be going back 20 years into the past, not waiting around to witness how our heroes have been ravaged by time 40 years into the future. The Amazon especially.

18 Likes

Can you provide some more information on that please?

You can just transmute the cow portal from another character, then rejoin with whoever wants to make some steaks and kill the cow king anyways. ISO Hooves. If D2R server games don’t persist this option disappears … for solo players. You can still have your friend hold the game open and do it though.

3 Likes

Just the fact that you can make it on another character and then rejoin after game is permed. We don’t know if that will be possible on D2R though with the way that modern Bnet works.

Edit: I see someone already explained it above.

2 Likes

Hm, does not really sound like the workaround i was hoping for.
Since the quest is registered per character, i thought you meant some (dirty) way to reset the quest for the character again. But i guess my hopes were set too high.

Thanks anyway. Let’s hope the’ll change it.

There is a thread on it btw.

2 Likes

That’s because gameplay is exactly the same as always.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. Was just saying they haven’t addressed things like cow king kills etc. and they were talking about changing things that already had workarounds like that. Like when they were talking about being able to view games from other difficulties on another character, so they are changing it to see all games.

1 Like

Not really when there are changes because of modern Bnet and the things I’ve mentioned. But if the character models are that important, there’s just a ton of threads about it and I don’t feel the models are bad. The only one that really sticks out is the Amazon’s face.

1 Like

Thank you, SalveWarsong, for your reason. It’s so nice to see that every now and again here. And it is tiring trying to respond reasonably to shallow comments. But your effort is very appreciated! And hopefully the devs will be influenced in some way to make the main characters a bit younger…

As to gameplay changes being most of what we should be concerned about - what?! The entire point is very minimal gameplay changes. Graphic and network updates are obviously the main courses here. That just shows ignorance, I think…

And why is the prevalence of this topic so upsetting to you? Youre offended by our desire to see more accurate D2 characters? You think we’re not grateful enough to Blizz? Please, we are super grateful to Blizz, and the vast majority will be mostly happy playing whatever is released. But that doesnt mean we cant also be passionate about wanting this fundamental aspect of our characters to be altered while there is still time to change things - hence the posts, obviously. Those two feelings arent mutually exclusive. The game would be better with more accurate models. This isnt controversial like adding a charm inventory. Too many posts about it? Why do you care about that, again? Too hard to read new topics? It makes no sense. More topics reflect how much the players care about this issue. And a ton do. Im not sure why youre so against this campaign though - Blizzard certainly does not need defending, theyre quite OK.

7 Likes

Thank you.

I’m not sure if Blizzard will alter the base look, and to be honest, I like the dark grim tones of the current characters, they just need a few decades shaved. I’m not opposed to people liking the models as they are, that’s a valid opinion.

Personally, I think the remaster would be plainly better if the characters more accurately resembled the campfire scene of the original, which is incredibly important.

When I was “younger” and I couldn’t pick what class to play, it was their expressions, the Barbarians shout and axe sharpening, or the Jacob’s ladder effect the Sorceress displays, that helped me.

Most people know what they want because they’ve been playing the game for over 10 years, but this was about bringing a new generation along as well. Capturing a new audience for Diablo 4 potentially.

When I played originally, the Paladin and Sorc were my loves. I want that nostalgia of visibly recognizing the characters around that campfire, of booting it up for the first time and picking my champion. When I login to the character selection screen and don’t recognize a few of them at all, that’s an issue for me.

Its nothing more than that, its not political, or agenda driven, or “shallow”. Its just a desire to relive one of the best moments of gaming I’d ever had.

10 Likes

He is trying to aggravate you and get your attention by making comments like that. We call that an internet troll.

5 Likes

It’s all water under the bridge now.

Let’s keep it on the rails.

1 Like

They won’t make any changes because they won’t. They already have your money. Their budget only allows for visual updates. Don’t expect anything in terms of changes that aren’t visuals.

3 Likes

Right. I forgot this is an indie company. They should open a go fund me page, they need all the support they can get.

3 Likes

Quite the opposite. They only care about ROI. Without micro transactions or annual paid content they have no way to make the game profitable long term.

Therefore no major changes that cost development hours and employee salaries will ever be made. That’s all being poured into D4.

VV was given a check/budget for X dollars for the port and debugging. If you think they’ll spend one dev hour more then what is required to get the game gold then it’s obvious you have no idea how the video game business works.

It is 100% about hours invested measured against profitability.

Are you talking about tweaking the character models a bit to make them younger? How long would that take, a day per character? I may be terribly ignorant about the amount of work needed here. Then theyd have to be approved… doesnt seem like so much work considering the online reaction. The amazon and barb will be memed for a long time…

8 Likes

Which is perhaps the way it always was, but Soon™ reminds me of a time when Blizzard at least presented a facade of only releasing it once it was quality. Not making their own customers run the quality control after they bought it.

3 Likes

Little Blizzy sold their soul to papa Activision a long time ago for a big paycheck. We won’t ever see quality from this studio again as a result of that. It is only about profit margins. Why you think all the old heads are long gone?

2 Likes

Diablo 4 will make or break Blizzard for me. That being said, I’m already a bit apprehensive about doing hard-core parkour off a mount to engage enemies. 0.o

Could be fun. Could be extremely goofy too.