Returning player - had a few questions

Ambo’s Pride is a one-handed Mighty Weapon. Spending bloodshards at Kadala gambling for one-handed weapons is a long-shot though, as that category also includes all the non-Mighty weapons a Barb could use.

You’re better off going to the Blacksmith, crafting some level 70, rare one-handed Mighty Weapons and then using the Cube’s “Upgrade rare to legendary” recipe.

Ambo’s in the Cube is a major, major source of extra damage to the build. It causes Whirlwind to automatically apply Rends to your targets, and the damage is done over 1 second instead of over 15. Combined with Lamentation, which lets Rend stack twice and increases its damage by 150%, this is where the majority of the build’s power comes from.

Mortick’s are also important the higher you go, as these grant you all the runes for Wrath of the Berserker (which includes healing and mitigation).

Great idea with the blacksmith!

I also used Free’s recommended skills. But without a Fury generator, what’s the best way to get to spinnin’?

Pretty sure it’s covered in the guide that’s been linked but it depends on the weaponry you’re using. Generally, you’ll start off with the Bul-Kathos mighty weapon set, which give you huge amounts of fury generation. These are also used when speed-farming lower GRs.

Once you move past those, you’ll be using Istvan’s Paired Blades (Little Rogue + Slanderer), which give more damage and mitigation, but zero inherent fury regeneration. So, for that to work you have to change runes on two of your abilities. Battle Rage gets changed to Swords to Ploughshares (which generates healing) and Whirlwind gets changed to Wind Shear (generates fury by hitting mobs). Example…

This just leaves you with the problem of what to do when you’ve just zoned into a GR and have zero fury. You can run towards mobs, then Ground Stomp them. That stomp generates enough fury so you can start spinning. Once spinning, and hitting mobs, due to Wind Shear you’ll almost immediately have enough fury to cast Wrath of the Berserker and Battle Rage. From there onwards, as long as you’re hitting stuff, you should maintain Fury.

The above method though leaves you initially vulnerable until you get buffs up. If you zone in and there are mobs throwing stuff at you as soon as you enter, that can be a problem. Luckily, there’s another method. Whilst stood in town, equip your BK weapons and have the IPBs in your inventory. This will completely fill your fury globe. Click the obelisk, select the level of GR you want and just before you click Accept on the obelisk, swap your BK weapons into your inventory, and equip the IPBs, then click Accept. You’ll zone into the GR with almost full fury and can immediately cast WOTB and Battle Rage as you spin towards your initial targets, and Ground Stomp them (to get your Band of Might protection up).

1 Like

I definitely must’ve read over the part of starting off! I ended up finding a Hellfire amulet, which allowed me to select the passive that generates fury. I did swap a few things around before logging off last night, so I’ll see if it made a difference tonight. I will definitely be doing the weapon swap before starting off, though.

When you have a lv70 Barbarian and you decide to go with the ww/rend build, my absolute, non-negotiable, first step is to do exactly what Meteorblade suggests.

It’s extremely convenient to need three 1H mighty weapons. There’s really not that many legendary 1H mighty weapons, so upgrading a few yellows in the cube will generally get you what you need very quickly (Ambos + 2 Bul-Kathos).

And while the Bul-Kathos weapons aren’t best-in-slot for high GR pushing, they are absolutely ideal for farming, bounties, etc. because you don’t have to manage your fury. In fact, I have exclusively used Bul-Kathos this season and gotten as high as GR120 with them.

1 Like

I may have to swap to BK, then. I’ve noticed a huge fury issue while trying IB. I think I am gimping myself a little bit by using the passive the regens fury, too.