Restore Post to Previous Edit?

On a similar topic, Cheetah, how do I link an item from the Diablo 3 site into the forums?

Try clicking the pencil button at top right, it can show the edit history:

2 Likes

I don’t think there is any special item code in this forum software. It is just a normal link. Worse, it does not show the item in the preview of the link.

https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/mask-of-scarlet-death-P6_Necro_Unique_Helm_21

If someone else knows how to do it please share.

Yeah, as far as I know, the best you could do is to go the extra mile and post an actual screenshot of the item along with the link.

I spent an hour trying to puzzle this out. I think I edited the post 7 times. Gave up.

Thanks a whole lot! Saved me a lot of time.

Not sure if it is what you want:-

• click the link button on the edit toolbar:

• then enter the link and display text in the dialog

You may need to be Trust Level 2.

3 Likes

Smoldering Core

I’m looking to add an item preview, but strangely I don’t think the D3 forums supports D3 item previews.

Oh, that preview. It is not supported in this forum software, I believe.

The icons are hosted on an akamai web site.

At one time, you needed to be TL3 to post those. (Probably still do).

Look at this Wiki for examples of in-game resources being used in this post.

Those links do nothing. And I’m level 3. For now, anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

You have to copy+paste the URL from the page source to show an image.

Eg
https://blzmedia-a.akamaihd.net/d3/icons/items/large/unique_pants_007_p2_demonhunter_male.png

Im only TL2. Youll have to post it to find out.

You’d have to go the route I did with the cosmetics guide, linking to the image for the item in question. To make it worse, if you’re doing this with the Blizzard game guide, those images are not regular images, but are embedded background images, requiring you to dig through the page’s source code via the browser’s source viewer function and then pluck (i.e. copy) the address you find buried in the code for the image and stick it into the forum post via markup or HTML to link to. The latter gives more flexibility in how you show the image, such as being able to resize the image to fit a certain area limitation like I do with the images in the cosmetics guide’s tables.

TL;DR: It’s a royal pain in the petootie for most of the item images in the Blizzard game guide. Edit: And it also requires Trust Level 3 as well.

Thank you so much, again, for your current upkeep of the guide. If I had to do it then it would be almost only plain text - like my original.

Gosh MissC, your so boring and out of touch now.

Yeah kind of. I would have kept it plain text like my old guide but Tias wanted to upgrade it using all the new forum features. He convinced me to let him do the Wiki for it. So for now, all good. I get source files each update so if I want to change it I can.

1 Like

MissCheetah isn’t out of touch, I simply asked her to let me try to make the guide for her. At the time, she didn’t even know I was going to do more than just text. She figured I was going to do some “fancy” text formatting or something like that. I kept the guide’s true content a secret until I was able to finalize it and get it posted.

The amount of work wasn’t trivial. Far from it. I’d had some bare-bones HTML learning under my belt, but nothing that prepared me for what I had to learn. You see, this forum’s software doesn’t use straight HTML 4 or straight HTML 5, it uses a hybrid amalgomation of the two, and which syntax is required for which function is totally arbitrary. There is no pattern to it at all other than Blizzard chose what they did for…reasons.

As I was unable to use a straight version of either HTML 4 or 5, I had to learn what worked and what didn’t by trial and error. And as I hadn’t dealt with even HTML 4 before (I learned my HTML back in the Netscape Navigator days using WYSIWYG editors), I also had to learn both versions of HTML syntax.

The first version of the guide everyone got to see took me well over 80 hours of trial and error and learning new code. And because Discourse form software prevents one from mixing HTML with proper markdown code (e.g. BBCode), I had to do it entirely in HTML, right down to image linking and resizing. All of that was done by hand. No editors other than what this forum provides. I used this forum software editor’s dual window mode to show a live preview of what I was working on at the time. It works great for smaller chunks of code, but the entirety of the guide loaded at once breaks the window and requires moving both sides by hand to line up with each other so I can see what my code did while having it on my screen. Any changes causes the preview window to close all flyouts and forces me to realign the two sides yet again.

Right now the entirety of the cosmetic guide is 33 pages of hand typed code. I did this because I wanted to. It was both a learning opportunity and a way to give something nice back to the Diablo 3 community. So I asked MissCheetah for her original guide text and went from there. Since this forum was capable of more than mere text and clickable links, I thought I’d try to give players a real cosmetic guide that let them see what they were farming for before they farmed for it, all in one convenient location.

I think it would have been a bit much asking MissCheetah to try and learn the whacko HTML code required for a visual guide on the new forum software. So far the best I’ve seen for other guides is a bit of fancy text formatting and maybe a table of contents with anchors to link to, and a few pictures for demonstration. It’s been a learning process for every guide writer. Not like we had much of a choice given the weird way HTML 4 and 5 had to be mixed together in order to make things work right.

So MissCheetah isn’t out of touch, her area of expertise is simply not (currently) in in-depth forum coding. Her expertise lies with helping others get the correct information whenever possible, along with some tech support for the more common issues. My area of expertise is in-depth tech support. The HTML coding was just a bonus for taking on the guide project. MissCheetah runs circles around me blindfolded when it comes to informational support. And you won’t find a more neutral person around to do it either. Being helpful while maintaining neutrality actually makes her more in touch, not less. You’ll be hard pressed to find someone more in touch with the players here than she is.

Don’t mistake style for intent. I may know the forum code better, but that doesn’t make me more in touch by any stretch of the imagination. MissCheetah, on the other hand, interacts with the community more than most others here, on virtually every issue we’ve got. And she interacts with players on each side of a given issue and actively listens to what we have to say. She can’t do anything about what we want or don’t want, but by no means does that make her out of touch.

There’s no TL;DR here. Sorry, not sorry. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s what I like to hear.

Not sure which part of that I’d pick out to quote, so I won’t, but I do want to express thanks to you and MissC for that guide. I’ve pointed many people in its direction both in-game and on the forums. It’s a really good combo of both of you.

Yes I know, I was poking fun. I have no clue about any of the stuff…