Reroll what primal squirts? GoD HA

Got dex, chd, and resource cost on the primal squirts. Should I reroll resource cost for % cold damage or chc? Chc gives higher damage output, but I don’t know if % cold damage actually does more due to the skill build out of hungering arrow.

That’s a tough one but I’d roll that RCR to Cold%. The extra Cold% might be more beneficial than CHC. If you have 20% Cold damage on your bracers, another 20% effectively increases your overall DPS by ~16.7%. Can the extra CHC match that?

Don’t blindly stare at the sheet damage. It can be deceptive.

1 Like

Compare the “cold” dps instead of your sheet dps. You can view your cold dps by Inventory -> Details tab -> Hover mouse over cold skill damage increase. It will display a number which is your DPS scaled for cold skills.

In general, I’d recommend going with cold +20% over critical chance +10% (if you have to choose) on an amulet unless you have a large source elemental damage bonuses (e.g. bracers + amulet + frostburn + SoJ, etc.) Also remember that when playing with certain zdps players, your critical hit chance is boosted further making cold elemental bonus more useful relatively.

2 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t know about this, I’ll check it out.

i think generally the 10cc is too much to give up here. not sure i feel like doing the math entirely, but also remember that the extra cold is going to be increasing an overall much weaker attack. if 10% of the time you are doing 500+% less damage, adding 17% overall is not much.

I’ll do the math to clarify the issue:

Consider two cases with perfect gear aside from the amulet (can only get element or critical chance):

Case 1 (dual wield with Cold element amulet):

• 44% Critical Hit Chance (5% base, 5% paragon, 6% helm, 6+6% rings, 10% gloves, 6% bracers)
  • 610% Critical Hit Damage (50% base, 50% paragon, 50+50% rings, 50% gloves, 130+130% weapon gems, 100% amulet)
  • 40% Cold elemental damage (20% amulet, 20% bracers)

Expected damage multiplier: (1 + 0.44*6.10)*(1 + 0.40) = 5.1576

Case 2 (dual wield with critical hit chance amulet):

• 54% Critical Hit Chance (5% base, 5% paragon, 6% helm, 6+6% rings, 10% amulet, 10% gloves, 6% bracers)
  • 610% Critical Hit Damage (50% base, 50% paragon, 50+50% rings, 50% gloves, 130+130% weapon gems, 100% amulet)
  • 20% Cold elemental damage (20% bracers)

Expected damage multiplier: (1 + 0.54*6.10)*(1 + 0.20) = 5.1528

As you can see, in the case of a perfect dual wield setup where you need to make the choice, the 20% cold affix is slightly better than the 10% critical hit chance.

While you can argue that the difference is essentially zero (which in this case it would be fine), when you add in other sources of critical hit chance such as Singled Out, Archery, or buffs from a zDH (Windchill, Iceblink, etc.), then the 20% elemental bonus pulls out ahead even further. This is also the case when using a quiver as well.

This is not a proper way of analyzing what item would be better. This kind of alternative math might have been responsible for the misconception that adding 1 discipline equated to a 350% damage increase when using the Unhallowed Essence set! This was only true for the first point of discipline (i.e. going from 0 discipline to 1 discipline).

The moral of that story was to DO THE MATH and do it correctly! Check your work with others and try to follow the logic.

2 Likes

Mmmm
Value of CHC is going to depend on existing CHC levels and crit damage. Of course, iirc Element% is on the DIBs layer, so not only is it going to be additive to the element% on your bracer, it’s also going to be additive to HA skill boosts (outside of 9th’s legendary effect), along with everything else on the DIBs layer, which is to say, its value diminishes rapidly.

addendum

Of course, this discounts a third option: rolling the amulet to chc then rolling OFF some other item’s crit chance in favor of another offensive stat.

Nope.

Elemental damage is not included in the DIBS pool, it’s a separate multiplier.

Elemental damage is additive with itself (so 20% + 20% = 1.4 multiplier, not 1.2*1.2=1.44), but multiplicative with everything else (well, except Mask of Jeram for some weird reason but that’s not relevant to DHs).

I kept looking around for that information to check on it, but actually finding a conclusive (and up-to-date, since these things change) list of DIBs is annoying as hell.

ty iria, very much stand corrected. did not think it was going to be close let alone ahead.

1 Like

Imo when dual wielding solo u want CC on amulet obligatory.
50% cc with archery is simple to low and ill ignore math here.

U can use no crit amulet in farm content when zdh will give u 18% crit (blink + multi), this will work, but in dh speeds anything work rly, so u can even go without amulet.

For deep solo - both crits are way to go (talking about dual wield) i spend a lot of time in 145-146 solo, writing from my own experience - missin crit line is super bad idea on any item.