Replacing Arcane Orb (Scorch or Obliteration) with Fireball (and other stuff)

Scorch is a pretty trash rune (the burn trails don’t stack, so the damage is very mediocre), would probably be the logical one to replace if you wanted something to be more like Fireball.

Also, the skill is called “Arcane” Orb, so it probably shouldn’t have more than one fire rune. Right now it has mostly arcane runes (unruned, Obliteration, Arcane Orbit), then one each of fire/lightning/cold (Scorch, Spark, Frozen Orb). Wouldn’t really make sense for Obliteration to be a fire rune too. Makes more sense to change Scorch to something more fireball-y. And actually useful. Leave unruned, Obliteration, and Arcane Orbit as arcane. Makes more sense for a skill called “Arcane” Orb.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up though, doubt we’ll see much in the way of rune changes at this point. Especially changes that would involve a change in the animation of a skill. That takes substantially more work than just tweaking numbers. They might be able to just tweak the Scorch animation I guess to remove the fire trail but use the rest of the animation? Either way though, I wouldn’t have high hopes.

2 Likes

This is stupid, since when are youtube videos classified as “images”?

Back on topic, I’d replace that lame Arcane Orbit with anything at this stage. Who uses that junk??? And I was looking forward to Molten Arrow. Immolation Arrow doesn’t have the trail, does it?

1 Like

Something’s changed because Trust Level 2 people used to be able to embed YouTube videos into their posts. I just checked, by trying to embed the video you linked in the opening post, and got a message telling me I can’t post images.

1 Like

oof, that means that Scorch is even worse than I thought…
But the fire trail from Mammoth Hydra does stack, right?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Also, I think Obliteration should INCREASE the detonation radius, rather than decreasing it. imo it just does not feel good to use it, especially since there is no rune that keeps the base skill as it is, and Obliteration decreases the AoE, which feels like a nerf.

In D3 classic, when all runes of Arcane Orb did arcane damage, the runes did increase the damage of the orb, increased detonation radius and reduced resource cost, which are al gone now (there was the pierce rune, which is now Frozen Orb and Arcane Orbit is still the same).

imo one of these rune - preferably a Fireball rune - should increase the damage of the Orb, and another rune - an arcane one - should increase the detonation radius.

Obliteration could increase the AoE and Scorch could be a Fireball that increases the damage. Would perfectly fit imo.

It depends, I think.

I don’t know how difficult it would be to do it, but to make this new Fireball rune, they could take the Arcane Orb graphic from the unruned skill as a base, replace the orb with one of the Fireball graphics that are already in the game (which I mentioned in the original post) and use the detonation animation from Scorch.

So the graphics are all already there. Not sure how much work that would be, but I would be awesome to have a Fireball in D3 on the Elemental Caster Class.

Yeah, that could work, but I personally have a huge dislike for the gigantic, black boulder (as wella s the overlay black ball on Spark and the giant white sphere of Frozen Orb - all of them are just unnecessarily large).

I wondered this as well.
Previously I could put videos in my posts, but apparently no longer (or it maybe is a bug, dunno).

Yeah, it did work for me in the past (probably even last week), but now it doesn’t. Maybe its a bug…

Yep. It’s just Scorch that doesn’t.

Yeah, I agree. The base rune doesn’t really deal enough damage. Obliteration does more damage but reduces the AoE, which doesn’t really feel that good in actual use. I’ve played with Obliteration a bit, but gave up on it because the reduced AoE really doesn’t make it all that great.

Since they’ve buffed Frozen Orb, it’s really the only rune worth using. It has the highest damage AND the best AoE. Arcane Orbit is interesting because it changes the mechanics of the skill and you can make more of a melee build. None of the other runes are really worth using.

1 Like

smh…
why?
there probably is no good reason for that…

I feel the same.

I often level new characters just for fun, and often when I level a Wizard, I just use the unruned version of Arcane Orb, because it looks good and it feels god to use. I don’t even bother to use a runed version of it, because they look weird (like the giant spheres of Frozen Orb, Scorch or Spark), and Obliteration feels like a nerf and also looks worse than the unruned version.

Obliteration could simply be replaced with the visuals of the unrined version and has its explosion size increased.

And not just by a bit, but by a mile and a half.
Arcane Orb could really use some love.

Blizzard really made a mistake when they only buffed the Frozen Orb rune instead of the entire Arcane Orb skill + runes. With the exception of the Frozen Orb rune, Arcane Orb is such a underwhelming skill imo, especially considering how high the resource cost is to even use the skill…

1 Like

I thought it did. Isn’t that the main damage aspect of it especially with the supporting wand/source + Delsere?

1 Like

All secondary skill are kinda bad on their own when you compare them to Disintegrate. Disintegrate is even much stronger than Ray of Frost, because Disintegrate ticks more often per second than it should (iirc).

On its own Disintegrate is the best secondary skill by a mile and a half, so what they can do is either buff all skills and runes expect Disintegrate and Frozen Orb, or nerf Disintegrate’s tick rate and Frozen Orb.

In the latter case, they also had to buff a few legendaries, so builds are still on par with each other, but that is not as much work as buffing every other skill and rune.

Next patch is going to be major balance patch, so there is a possibility that it gets addressed there. That also would be a perfect time to change Scorch into Fireball and to change Immolation Arrow into Molten Arrow,

They Removed Molten Arrow from the Demon Hunter before the game went into beta, so only the footage of Molten Arrow from when the DH was announced exists. Later wen RoS came out and the Wizard was turned into more of an Elemental Caster, they gave the Molten Arrow effect to the Arcane Orb rune Scorch, which imo does not fit on that skill.

Yes, however Arcane Orb imo takes the cake (or at least ranks up there) because compared to it’s own rune, Frozen Orb, the damage output of every other Arcane Orb variant (both rune and non-rune) is far less.

That said, if blizzard does actually use the patches after this upcoming one to address builds at not just the level of sets and/or legendary powers but also deeper into individual skills and/or passives, then I would be rather delighted, as there are a lot of skills and passives (all classes included) that really need some love and attention. Of course, I’m not holding my breath for it, but it would be great if that were to happen.

1 Like

Nope. Well, I mean technically yeah, the fire trail is the bulk of the damage in the Scorch rune. But it does very little damage, because it can’t stack. Let’s say you attack at 2 APS. And are fighting a high HP stationary target (say an RG). You cast 10 Scorches over 5 seconds. You deal 2210% weapon damage from the 10 explosions, plus 734% from the 5 seconds of non-stacking fire trail. That’s 2944% total weapon damage over the 5 seconds. Because the trail doesn’t stack, after the first cast of Scorch in an area, all subsequent casts do very little damage, until the trail from the first cast expires (it’s not as bad if you’re spreading them around attacking a bunch of enemies, but it’s terrible for single target). Contrast that with Obliteration, which would deal 7000% weapon damage from 10 casts. Scorch is pretty garbage in comparison, primarily because the fire trails don’t stack. If they did, stack, you’d deal (221+734%)* 10 = 9550% total weapon damage, because you’d get full value each cast from the fire trail. That would be much better.

Blizzard works the same way (overlapping casts don’t stack).

And it gets even worse once you factor in Unstable Scepter. Scorch is actually far and away the worst rune once you factor in the wand, too.

The 450% damage bonus from the wand applies to both the fire trail and the explosion. But the double explosion ONLY applies to the explosion part. So you’re doubling only a small portion of the damage dealt by the rune, in contrast to all the other runes, where the double explosion doubles a much larger proportion of the overall damage dealt by the rune.

A rune like Obliteration, where all of the damage is the explosion, gets the most benefit from the doubling explosion effect of Unstable Scepter. The same is true for Arcane Orbit (all damage in explosion). A rune like Frozen Orb, where a big chunk of the damage is still in the explosion, also benefits pretty decently from the double explosion of Unstable Scepter. A rune like Scorch, where only a small portion of the damage is in the explosion gets very little benefit from the Unstable Scepter double explosion.

Unstable Scepter makes Scorch even worse in relation to the other runes, because Scorch benefits the least from the double explosion part of Unstable Scepter. All the other runes get a larger relative multiplier from the double explosion part of Unstable Scepter.

2 Likes

This alone is a good enough reason for turning Scorch into Fireball, which would just (significantly) increase the base damage of the explosion, instead of creating an unnecessarily large black boulder that pierces though enemies and leaves a trail of fire on the ground.

Blizzard is by far the worst skill in the Wizards arsenal of active skills, even when you don’t factor in any legendaries that buff skills.

imo Blizzard should have a cooldown of maybe 10 to 15 seconds and have its damage significantly increased, so that it feels much more impactful (something similar could also work with Meteor).

Yes, I agree with that, but the solution then would be to nerf Frozen Orb and increase the damage multiplier on Unstable Scepter, so all runes are equally powerful.

Yeah, I have already posted a few threads on what Active Skills could get adjusted (on the PTR Forum as well as on the General Forum), but maybe I also should make one about Passive Skills as well (although other people have done so already).

Don’t get me started on the tiniest of things blocking the trajectory and triggering the explosions far sooner than intended, like a leaf on the ground…

Glad that I am not the only one experienced this. I thought that my trust level must have dropped to Lv1 when I was unable to post youtube video.

Ironically TL1’s have always been able to post youtube vids.

1 Like

I see. I don’t know about that. It is really weird that we can’t post youtube video anymore.

The bug or change began only a few days ago. And ironically:

I’ve done way more than that. Yet I still can’t properly post youtube vids.

Theoretically there also could be a rune for Arcane Orb that causes the skill to work like Cluster Arrow, where the orb will only detonate at the spot where you target your mouse cursor.

The Spark rune lands where your mouse cursor is. It arcs up and then lands wherever you were pointing. The damage is pretty low though. IIRC it zaps for half the tooltip damage while in the air, then lands and explodes for the other half the tooltip damage. And the tooltip damage is quite low to begin with, so only doing half off it per zap is pretty bad. Frozen Orb has similar mechanics (shards while it travels, then explodes at the end) but way higher damage numbers. Spark could actually be decent if they gave it the Frozen Orb treatment and just buffed it’s damage numbers.

1 Like

You mean that the Lightning Orb pierces through enemies while traveling (instead of being thrown in an arc) and it shoots lightnings while it travels?

That sounds awesome!

I also thought about that it would be cool if it could work like the BFG 9000 from DOOM 2016 and Eternal.

It could shoot like x Chain Lightnings per tick one after the other while it travels and the Chain Lightnings jump to 2 additional targets as well.

The lightning orb you release from the Storm Chaser rune from Energy Twister looks a lot more like the lightning orb from the Spark rune for Arcane Orb should look like, imo, both for Spark as well for a rework of Arcane Orb.

https://imgur.com/i4fts9N

Yeah, it is pretty useless at the moment.
In the next patch or with a rework the damage should be increased as well (or FO’s could get reduced).