Removal of TCP/IP - a slippery slope

2 months ago, we are group of old friends that still makes a few times a year a LAN over the weekend where we play diablo 2 together. I am using this feature, I am not just ranting here around just for fun =)

4 Likes

I wouldn’t bother engaging with frost, there’s no reasoning with him.

3 Likes

Adjusted that for ya. :rofl:

Sure a part from where you have made 0 reasonable arguments a part from your own feelings being hurt :frowning:

Nobody’s feelings are hurt, but it’s obvious you don’t care about a feature being removed that people used. You can only see things from your point of view. You say anything to justify Blizzard screwing this up.

9 Likes

So you expect a company to change its product strategy because of the choices you made?

Lol such privilege.

The products are still bought by the people, just saying.

2 Likes

Playing with a hacker attempting to dupe items.

Fixed the point you were trying to make.

These products are still bought by the people and they wouldn’t make any money without them, just saying…

1 Like

mate why are you feeding the 12 yo troll? let him be… you’re not changing his self absorved view of the world.

1 Like

bro most users here are 12 yo trolls that have a really narrow view of the world. you’re not changing anyone’s mind in this echo chamber. leave messages to CMs and Dev team and move on.

1 Like

I think blizzard does this better than anyone else.

No TCP/IP, no ladder at start, ultra wide support. Well, That game breaks some dreams for some purists :slight_smile:

1 Like

when people moved on to other games yup you’re partialy right

3 Likes

mate they’ll add this right after they manage to add the promised arenas in D3 /s

2 Likes

why are we talking about bnet when talking about peer-to-peer games? why are we mixing the two? that’s not how the world works.

4 Likes

I was waiting for someone to ask this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m surprised nobody mentioned the fact that TC/IP allows you to rely on your own infrastructure instead of somebody else’s. If I am playing a game with a friend on BettleNet and the servers go down, now I can’t just switch to TCP/IP and keep playing with that person. It’s one of those moments where both of you go “well, I guess we can’t play now”. TCP/IP allowed the game to have the longevity that it has had all these years. There are people who prefer to play via direct connection for practical reasons, not just malicious reasons.

People who say to just play the original games are missing the point, there were a lot of people who got excited to play a remastered version of D2 the same way they have been playing the game for years. Now after they have built up all of this hype and preordered the game months ago, the main feature they used to play the game has all of a sudden been removed. If TCP/IP is a security risk to the customer, then make players click a red warning that explains they are putting themselves at risk and the company assumes no liability.

I’m not mad at Blizzard or the developers formerly known as Vicarious Visions, I am just bummed out and most of my excitement for D2R has been crushed. My friend and I use the TCP/IP option every week when we play and it’s fun to be able to show each other what gear we have gotten while playing offline and now we are just going to have to rely on Blizzard servers 100% of the time, which I very much dislike.

Not all users of the feature have bad intent, and labeling them as such is completely dismissive and honestly ignorant.

14 Likes

Not sure what the “security” reasons were to make this decision. They probably saw ways to hack items in bnet using this feature, or bot stuff, or something. Maybe they meant user security, obviously a direct connection option could be abused to harm the end user. Seems odd to remove it without good reason, especially when previously confirmed.

I’m sure they could find the security problems, fix them, then add the feature back in a later patch. If there is enough community request.

3 Likes

that is one of the only arguments being made so far. The security risk, while yes it does pose a risk to the players who direct connect to others, is actually one of greater importance which relates to closed bnet and hacking/dupin/bots.