Randomly dim after changing zone

All light sources seem to become randomly dim when changing zones.

This makes it difficult to see.
Workaround is to change zones again.
I.e. tp and find town is dim. Port to some random destination and then tp back.

Only happens on 1 of 5 pcs:
Ryzen 5 2600
Rtx2080

Have never encountered the issue on my other pcs (i5 6600 gtx1070, i5 3570k gtx1060, i5 3570 gtx770, i5 8300h gtx 1060 maxq).

Hey, jkim78! It sounds like there may be a difference in settings causing this issue. This maybe some differences between RTX and GTX settings.

Let’s try disabling the Ambient Occlusion if enabled in the Nvidia settings. Right click on the Desktop Background, go to Nvidia Control Panel and Manage 3D settings. From there, it should be the top option in Global settings. If it continues, let’s try a full reset of driver settings and in-game settings.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply… hadn’t had time to play often last couple of months. Anyway, Ambient Occlusion was already off, and this happened before and after a full reformat and OS reinstall.

I will try a full reset of ingame settings, but to what?

If it persists beyond a full reinstall we’ve got to be looking at something caused by preinstalled software or a hardware issue of some sort. If this is a laptop, try temporarily uninstalling any of the default laptop software (things like Dragon Gaming Center, Asus ROG software, etc.) You also want to make sure you’re checking power settings.

Apart from that - you mention having several PCs - any chance you can swap the video cards, reinstall the drivers, and try to reproduce on a different GPU in the affected PC? If it goes away after GPU swap, you probably got a lemon and need to RMA it.

It only happens on the machine with the RTX2080, and it only happens in Diablo 3.

It does not occur on any other machine (that I own) and does not occur in any other game (WoW, SC2, Borderlands 3, Division 2, Battlefield V, Anthem).

This is a desktop PC with:
CPU: Ryzen 2600
GPU: RTX 2080, using Game Ready drivers dated 6 Jan, 2020
RAM: 16gb Gskill 2933 DDR4
MB: MSI b450 chipset
HDD: Samsung 970 evo nvme ssd

I tried an in-game reset of settings to default, and it occurred again after about 1 hr of play.

It’s possible for different games to access different aspects of your drivers. I’m going to reiterate the relevant information from the previous post as this is about the only way you’re going to get closer to an answer, given everything else you’ve done. Basically, I need you to snag a GPU from one of the other machines and test it in the computer that is having crash issues.

And I’m going to have to reiterate the problem.

It’s not crashing.
It’s “dim”.
Imagine that you set the gamma level to 1/2 of what it was set to.
That’s what I mean by dim.

It only occurs after a teleport randomly - probably once every 10-20 teleports.
The problem disappears after the next teleport.
Alt-tab, and outside the game is the correct brightness - only inside the game is dim.
Alt-tab back in is still “dim” until the next teleport, where it’s rectified until the next random occurrence after a teleport.

If it were a hardware/driver issue, then outside the game would also be affected, which it isn’t.

Can you post a screenshot of it?
Do you have any other programs running in the background? Anything that has overlays?

Can’t even post a screenie, as the screenshots are the correct brightness.

The only overlay app I have installed is GForce Experience.

May be you have activated the hotkeys (default are Alt+Z and …) of the overlay.

Try disabling overlay of GE.
If you are using Win10, make sure the Game Bar and Game DVR are disabled too.

To post a screenshot, paste the link, highlight it and click the </> button.

That suggests the game itself is fine, and that something else is being overlaid on the screen.

I’ve observed this at-least 100 times and it is consistently tied to teleport (town portal, or portal to field, enter rift, change levels, etc).

It is not tied to any other action.

The workaround I currently use is: Enter rift/level/whatever → it may happen. If it does, exit back to town/previous floor/etc and enter the area again to play without the problem.

Workaround doesn’t work if it it’s a level that does not allow exiting the zone (i.e. boss room).

Given that this is directly tied to 1 specific in-game action, unless there’s a binding between teleporting and overlays, then it’s the game and no other.

jkim,

Apologies for using the wrong term previously and confusing things. Dimness, crashing, whatever, it is, you also note that it only happens on one computer with one configuration. Even if it is a compatibility issue, we need more information to diagnose this, which is why I have advised that we test on a different GPU and reinstall the drivers. This will be the quickest way to help us determine if we’re looking at a hardware issue/incompatibility or as TimberWolf suggests, software.

If you are unable or unwilling to do this, then there’s nothing else we as blizzard tech support can do here. If you are convinced that you have found a game engine bug that somehow only affects one of your computers, you should bug report it. However, there are no reports of this issue that I was able to find in the last two weeks. That doesn’t mean you haven’t discovered something new, but it does reduce the likelihood that it’s an engine bug.

OK, My mistake. I thought we report issues here in tech support. I’ll post over there.