Raekor 6 Spear- its current state and needed improvements

Tell you what, I’ll write a separate topic about this tomorrow.

2 Likes

Much appreciated and sorry any inconvenience. Here’s some ideas that have been thrown out there:

And

Thanks Rage.

As the only reworked set, I think most are hoping that it’ll be at least similar in power with other top builds in the game when S26 goes live.

In general, probably better to over-buff the new set in PTR to make ppl play it more and push it to the limits, and devs will get a good idea of how much to scale it back. As opposed to a weak new set on PTR, and it’ll be less data for devs to find a good power level.

2 Likes

Great feedback. I’ll just use this page to reiterate my desire to see the 2pc changed to “a charge is refunded upon hitting an enemy” (not just 1).

Also throwing in more support for Vile Charge via opening up the 4pc to include Charge, as well as Ancient Spear (or a boost to all damage, only if that doesn’t unintentionally take the focus off spear/charge).

I think Vile Charge is a great build in itself, just needs a bit of a boost to keep it competitive.

1 Like

Hmm, well, with the new Crimson-including setup, we’re often touching 60% CDR, which reduces the cooldown of Charge to 4 seconds. Merciless Assault refunds 2 seconds per enemy hit.

Hit 1 enemy: charge refunded.
Hit 2 enemies: 4 seconds refunded, 4 - 4 = 0 seconds cooldown.
Hit more than 2 enemies: also 0 seconds cooldown.

There’s no skills other than Spear or Charge that could really benefit from that bonus. IK6R4 gives a huge bonus to Charge, and is pretty much completely item locked, since you have almost every slot, including weapon and belt, filled with set pieces. And R4 can’t be combined with any other 6-piece bonus.

Well, what are the top builds? Probably Inna Earth, LoD WOL, and DH Marauder. The last of these, anyway, is maybe something like 1 tier stronger than Rend or LoD HOTA (Marauder does 150 around 8k paragon, the 2 Barb builds can do it around 10k, damage difference between 8k and 10k is about 20%).

I think that with a more reliable utilization of the missing life damage bonus, some built-in toughness, and an increase to the single-target damage, this build could definitely hit that “1 tier stronger than Rend” mark.

Too much stronger than that, and our hard-earned balance will be gone. People will start feeling like they have to play Raekor, even if they don’t like it. We’ve been there before, and lemme tell ya, it sucked.

And then of course the set will get nerfed to death 1 season later. No thanks.

3 Likes

Post is up:

Weapon Throw: What the Hell? - PTR Feedback - Diablo 3 Forums (blizzard.com)

2 Likes

Hopefully there will be a PTR update sometime this week with tweaks to the current items.

4 Likes

the reason I like mess reaver in the cube is that the little stuff like charge, all your shouts, ignore pain is always up. Zerker downtime is very low too.

Yeah, I think it’s a great gear choice, at least up to a certain level of pushing. Above a certain level of difficulty, I think we may not get enough procs out of it to make it really worthwhile.

1 Like

yeah, its not so great on the boss unless you get hamlin.etc.

So, we obviously got some changes to Raekor: namely the addition of Weapon Throw into the set.

IF, the majority of the time, we can generate a full “WT” Fury bubble (350 Fury), and get plenty of R6 stacks, using Weapon Throw, in the same time it took us previously to get a full “regular” Fury bubble (150), then we’re basically getting a 2.5x damage bonus.

I have my doubts about whether that will actually be the case in serious pushing, but we’ll see.

To paint a picture of how strong the build would be if that held true:

엔류 did 150 on the PTR, in about 13:45, with 12k paragon. At 12k paragon you’ll have roughly 70k Str. Just divide that amount by 2.5.

70000 / 2.5 = 28000 Str needed to clear 150, which is around paragon 3500. That’s… pretty strong!

Of course, at lower paragon, you may need to stack more defensive buffs, or play more defensively, either of which will lower your actual dps. And, I’m pretty confident that not all of that 2.5x damage bonus will materialize in actual gameplay. It’s pretty hard to keep mobs far away from you in a densely populated rift, which means less Fury generated via Weapon Throw, which means less damage.

Still, if the build were to go live in its current state, I can pretty confidently say that R6 “Boulder/Throw” would be the strongest of all Barb builds, at least for high pushing.

@GeSche#2535 , you care to do any further testing with this updated version? It would be good to get your take on it.

1 Like

For the rift it changes not much just makes you a bit squishier (since you need to drop either ip or warcry) bossfight is quite a bit better.

At my paragon though maybe not even usefull on bossfight if you fish for a good wall to stack 10 boulders on boss and power bossfight in theory is already like 1 min only.

Idk what to rly think about the changes just take they make the build even squisher which isnt good for most people and i wouldnt recommend it to many casual people currently.

1 Like

My gameplay is still perfectible. In the end I’m so focused on the mobs and my fury gauge that I don’t realize I just have to pick up the orbs to make the boss appear haha.

I prefer this new version of Raekor but they could have done something for the toughness …

2 Likes

So, you don’t think you’d try to keep distance from your targets in order to build up Fury with WT? A boulder loaded up with WT Fury does do about 2.5 times as much damage.

Yeah, I saw your 137 on the board, thanks for posting the video, and nice job!

compared to throwing 3 boulders into a lot denser spots during the same time i felt like i was loosing a lot of dps trying to make bigger boulders

2 Likes

Only me that thinks this wt on top of charge and locked onto boulder toss, is kinda… bad?
Seems like the easiest way out to get an update, instead of butchering the vile charge build and a possible charge/ancient spear build

2 Likes

Well, what GeSche is saying is actually pretty good. He feels like he gets more dps from just sticking to Charge in density, rather than using WT. That means that Charge is not only not dead, it’s still pretty essential. And while WT will make many boss fights considerably faster, it also sounds like it’s possible to go Charge-only and fish for a good boss with a Power, and still get a really good clear.

So, sounds like it’ll be possible to get your Fury/Stacks with “Mostly (or all) Charge”, “Mostly WT”, or a combination of both. That’s actually really good- options!

I’m with you on being locked onto Boulder Toss (via Skular). They should really just open that secondary to all runes. I mean, why the hell not? It’s not as though people would start ploughing 150 with Jagged Edge!

4 Likes

But this is not what the majority wanted. They listened to a streamer and took advice from a streamer that don’t know any better.
Who wants to sit still and charge up before dealing damage, instead of having seperate builds with wt and vile charge/ancient spear. Charge is not essential, you can swap it out with leap or stomp. It does nothing other than some charges, which wt does the same.
Bad… Really bad update and bad advice.

2 Likes

Try the build with an Oathkeeper in the cube and watch how fast you can build fury & stacks to Boulder Toss like tomorrow is going out of style, you’ll thank me later lol

I quite like the changes, just involves a little kiting

Charge is awesome just to jump into the occulus rings.

Speeds are 100% better w/o using weapon throw.

Its a cool mechanic. Im glad the option is there.