Question for the lore masters

If the Barbarians and the Druids are related by blood what other factions in Sanctuary are related by blood?
Did these two groups help each other out after the split or did they always keep to themselves? In D4 our Barbarian toon will need to be in Scosglen the home of the Druids, would you like to see some type of sub plot between the Barbarian and the Druids.

1 Like

Pretty sure those two were the only ones confirmed. Technically all residents of Sanctuary are of the same bloodline. I thought it was mentioned they were from the same tribe that split up as the Druids ancestors wanted to learn magics or something not necessarily directly related by blood since we all are related by blood.

As for your subplot, that splinter would have happened 1000s of years ago, doubt anything relevant would happen like that. I could be wrong.

1 Like

Besides the Druids and Barbarians, I believe the only other groups to share some type of blood between each other would be the Amazons and the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye (albeit the connection likely is minimal at best after all this time), due to the fact that the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye were originally Askari dissidents who left Skovos Isles after taking the Sightless Eye with them.

From the Book of Cain:

“The Sisterhood of the Sightless eye is a most intriguing organization. Its origins are rooted deeply in the history of the Askari who dwell on the Skovos Isles. From the earliest days of their culture, the Askari held in their possession an artifact known as the Sightless Eye, a mirror which served as a a window to perceive the future. The Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye, a group of amazon dissidents, stole the artifact and fled, ultimately occupying Eastgate Keep. Whether Andariel came to possess the Eye, or, if she did not, what became of it, is unknown.”

As for whether the Druids and Barbarians helped one another in times of need; I’d say they rarely did so as they were on bad terms with each other after the Mage Wars, which apparently lead to the banishment of the Druids from the Northern Steppes (at least according to both Aust and Qual-khek).

Taken from the Lord of Destruction Manual:

Excerpt from the journal of Elder
Aust of Harrogath
7th day of Montaht
Matins

“It seems that I am not the only one who cannot sleep.
Qual-Kehk readies his men even now, as I ready
myself. This morning, I shall propose that we
perform one of the long-forbidden Druidic spells of
warding. As Elders, we alone are capable of
summoning such tremendous energies.”

“Though the ward may drain us of vital magical reserves, if our
land is to be saved, we will do what we must.
Our people once considered the Druids brethren—but
after the terrible Mage Wars, the Druids were
exiled to the harsh wilds beyond our homeland. Since
then, our Elders have kept their fearsome Druidic
powers a closely guarded secret.”

“The danger of unleashing such powers once again
terrifies me. If done incorrectly, the warding spell
could consume us all well before the arrival of Baal’s
army. However, I have studied the rites, and I am
confident that I can cast the warding correctly with
the Council’s help. The ward will bar passage to any
spawn of Hell—even Baal himself. I intend to place it
around the entirety of Harrogath.”

“Casting the spell in this fashion requires that all
seven Elders venture outside the protective walls of
our city. The danger is great… We may all be killed.
However, I see no alternative. I go now to take this
matter before the assembled Council of Elders”

1 Like

I know that the rogue is the only one that gets to do class specific quests with the rogue factions.
I was just wondering if the Barbarian would need to do something special when her/she is in Scosglen with his/her former brethren. How will things play out when our Barbarian shows up in Scosglen. :point_down:

Sadly, I don’t think Barbarians will have anything like that (it’d be nice if they did imo) since they had stated back at last year’s BlizzConline that only Rogues would have unique class quests. Of course, this is subject to change, as they had also stated that they may give class quests to the other classes if necessary. However as of that time, they had no intention of doing so; which is a shame imo. Class quests could go a long way at not only expanding a class’s lore, but also give additional content that could allow for further customization and/or improvement to the class’s unique system.

At the very best, I’d expect there to only be unique dialogue for a Barbarian if he interacts with Druids. But that’s about it.

Druids and Barbs aren’t literally related by blood…

It was said in more of a way like the are “Band of Brothers”. Like when Samuel L. Jackson says to someone he likes, “my brotha”.

1 Like

@Avalon I know you deleted the post, but that was a pretty good video imo, as it had summed up the Druid pretty well imo.

1 Like

I just do not want to talk to you know who.

1 Like

literally says exactly what i said in the first 30 seconds…

anyways, it’s nice to see someone take their first step into the lore of the game, we need more people who know the lore, keep working at it and learning. :+1:

easy crusader monk - wd wizard you can even throw in dh

It’d be really funny if necromancers and witch doctors are sisters and wizards/sorcerers/enchanters are related to both.

Crusaders are paladins and both useless.

And when I was reading the lore I took it as meaning Barbarians and druids were the same people and the Barbarians went the warrior way and the rest went the druid way and seperated at some stage
Like the way the Vulcans and Romulans are the same race in ancient history but diverged at some point when the Vulcans went the way of logic and the romulans kept their emotions

3 Likes

Exactly. They are the same race/nation/people. They are only divided by ideologies. Bul-Kathos geatherd the clans and started to train them, in the martial arts to protect Mt. Areat. Fiacla-GĂ©ar his brother in arms, geatherd the shamans and warrior-poets of the clans, and went nomadic, learning and training nature magick, and enhance their bond whit nature.

That’s actually a good way to think about it. After all, there are some Barbarians who still possessed the abilities to utilize druidic arts and/or tame animals; just as there are druids who still trained in the martial skills that they learned from their barbarian forefathers. The only difference though is that the barabarians kept their druidic capabilities a closely guarded secret.