(Pseudo)RNG-based game

Gambling in the context if the thread topic does not exist because there is no money involved. If it cost money to run each rainbow portal, then it be a valid comparison.

There are people with gaming/gambling addiction that would invest ridiculous amounts of time to get something, be it goblin portal or cosmetic or whatever. From their in-game activities follow problems in their real life due to not coping properly with real life problems due to their addiction. It doesn’t matter whether there are money involved AT ALL.

1 Like

Again, within context, there is nothing about obtaining hard to find items in Diablo3 that constitutes gambling as it pertains to legality. Context is the key to understanding. I have not said nor argued against gaming’s nature in general to provide an addicting loop to keep players playing. If not for them relatively few would be playing.

I see threads constantly about why play if there is no reward. Moat people seem to agree, there needs to be rewards and/or progression systems to keep people engaged. People won’t stay engaged if loot in an ARPG is tied to the story like Final Fantasy games where you get upgrades at given story points consistently. ARPGs are about the loot hunt. Funny how it’s totally appropriate that it could take years before seeing a specific drop on D2, but an optional cosmetic item that takes a similar chance to drop is egregious.

But still in context, RNG is ot gambling according to the law and is not illegal nor close to some of the BS out there in games.

There’s more than the regular addicting loop in games with RNG influenced mechanics.

Type tic-tac-toe in google and play some games. It’s addicting for those that never played the game until they learn it. But if we take backgammon as another example, there might be something more to it than the regular addiction from games - it’s addiction to RNG for some players known as gamblers.

Some players want to get a specific RNG in the game they play. They enjoy highrolling and/or winning heavy unfavourite odds and/or whatever else the normal player won’t be attracted to and those gamblers try to reproduce that again and again (ending miserably in most cases).

RNG itself is not gambling, but it is a requirement for gambling. Games based mainly on RNG mechanics (like Diablo) have to come with proper monitoring tools for all players. And that is to happen in the future since the gaming addiction will become more and more common among the people and the governments will enforce measures at some point to protect the health of the endangered (this is already done in some countries in Asia).

1 Like

I would never grind for a cosmetic in D3 , but back in 2007 I would camp WoW locations to tame rare mobs for my hunter. Sometimes I would have to wait 6 to 10 hours.

The difference in WoW was , for people (like me, at the time) you knew that your patience and time would eventually pay off, however with RNG you could get lucky and find your rare cosmetic item in an hour of looking, or it could be hundreds of hours.

I prefer the WoW approach because perseverence was rewarded and somewhat predictable, you could also ‘get lucky’ and get the respawn after only an hour. However, you knew for sure the ‘worst case scenario’ for your goal, because the respawn times were publicly known.

I farmed Rainbow Goblins for 3 weeks straight, 10-12 hours a day to get the wings. It was on either the 75th or 76th Rainbow that the Princess finally spawned. I know a few people who got the damn wings on their 1st damn try!!! I was so pissed heh.

Some of the fishing RNG in WoW wants a word with you :smiley:

I think you are seriously missing the point of what the term RNG (and drop chance) means. That is exactly what it leads to. Some dude getting everything in 4 hours and another spending 100 is a sign of RNG working.