Proof not random / rigged?

I started tracking my results so I know for a fact that these numbers are correct.

I spent 1450 blood shards and received 8 legendary phylacteries. They’re 25 each, so getting 8 out of 58 means 13.79% were legendary. I don’t have any clue what the chance of phylacteries from Kadala being legendary are, so I have no issue there. There were also zero ancient or primal, which again I have no issue with.

Next, I spent 1025 deaths breaths upgrading 41 of the rare phylacteries (that’s all the death’s breaths I had). This is a 100% chance to make 41 legendaries, of which it’s been stated that you should have approximately a 10% chance to get an ancient. Statistically I should have received 4 ancients, but only receiving 2 is not a big deal. I’m not sure how to do the math, but receiving just 2 instead of 4 is likely a small chance (at least under 20% odds?).

Okay, who cares I received 2 ancients out of 41 legendaries instead of 4. The problem is that after taking a 5-10 minute break I decided to open a greater rift (I left the game on in a private room). When I entered the rift there was a system error (ps4), and when I restarted Diablo 3 it went back in time! The last save must have been entering town with the 1450 blood shards and 1025 death breaths… so I got to spend them again.

Whoever knows the math, I’d like to see it. The odds of me receiving the EXACT SAME has to be extremely slim. I received 8 legendaries from the blood shards, again none of which were ancient or primal. Then on the 41 rare upgrades I received exactly only 2 ancients.

Sadly I don’t have a way of knowing for sure if I received the exact same items, but it appeared that way. Maybe a rare item gets the legendary upgrade stats it can receive when it drops, but having Kadala give me the exact same items the second time doesn’t seem right. That I thought was supposed to be 100% random, but if I received exactly the same items two times then that means it’s not at all random and it’s been predetermined exactly what I’ll receive.

I guess at the end of the day it doesn’t matter if it’s predetermined that I’ll get 1 primal after 700 legendaries and then 1 primal after the next 100 legendaries, as that still averages out to the 1 in 400 a lot of people say… but that would imply that I can never simply be a lucky person who happens to get better than average odds. Overall that might be fair, but thinking you have a chance to beat the odds is what adds excitement to the game.

The odds of receiving exactly the same items after resetting the save are 100%. That’s exactly how it works. Yes, it’s a predetermined (static) list, so when you “flip the page back” i.e. reset, the game picks up where you last left off.

Must be a console thing.

Of course it is. There are no “local” and “cloud” saves on PC. All PC saves are server/cloud saves. What OP described only possible on systems with “local” save i.e. consoles.

Didn’t see local or cloud sited in the OP. Maybe this should be in the console section then.

Well, the opening post did say…

PS4 = Playstation, where saves are local or the cloud.

1 Like