PlugY won't be available in D2R

It’s not a need ofc but it would be nice, I’m just gonna copypaste my reason from my reply to Tanis earlier.

I just like to manage my stash/items ingame without having to swap between characters to mule or use an external program like GoMule, even with the new shared stash I find it a bit of a hassle.

I know most of PlugY’s features have already been added to D2R but it makes grailing quicker/more convenient. It also doesn’t really bode well for modding when one of D2’s most popular mods won’t be making it over to D2R.

I’ll make due with GoMule/regular muling though, just a bit sad.

2 Likes

Data in this case means txt files changes and making new art assets. You can’t change core game code, which means no new scripted events, no new spell logic, etc. So yeah I do know what I’m talking about :slight_smile: quiz me more if you like, but you are wrong.

2 Likes

You literally have no proof of what you claim. Absolutely no idea what you are talking about, so you should stop.

If you knew even remotely how Diablo 2 worked, you’d be slapping yourself right now. Everything in you interact with in Diablo 2 is virtually all managed in tabbed text files and tables. A lot of the elements you manage in modding are dealt with in a very similar manner, never mind the fact they all are intertwined.

2 Likes

Did you read anything I posted in the post above yours? That’s exactly what I said.

You can open up the .txt files which are exported excel spreadsheets, add new data entries, change data, etc; probably even export new art assets.

But no new scripted events, no new spell logic, etc, thats a huge issue.

2 Likes

When I say virtually everything, I mean virtually everything, including what you’re claiming isn’t under this umbrella. I’m done arguing with you, you have literally no idea what you speak of.

1 Like

You can’t change everything without being able to change code. Data modifications only get you so far. I don’t know how to explain the basics to you anymore then that.

1 Like

They also stated that they were removing some of the dll coded stuff to soft code for mods. Be patient. Devs are open to some stuff post launch for the game. I don’t see where mods are going to be relevant for awhile unless they blunder ladder system again by perm gating content.

1 Like

That again is just exposing more data. The data goes through core logic which you can’t touch in D2R but you could in D2 OG. Again what part of data changes only can go so far don’t people get :stuck_out_tongue:

You can make new monsters, but not new monster actions.

1 Like

They won’t be relevant for a while but Phrozen Keep modders have already proven it relatively simple to tear into and modify D2R from the Alpha and Beta clients.

I’m not holding my breath since it’ll be a while but I’m definitely excited as to the prospect.

In the beta they obfuscated the executable to prevent against reverse engineering(in the alpha the executable wasn’t obfuscated). It would take a lot of effort to undue that post build step that most people won’t do. Modders will just stick with D2 OG.

1 Like

After the dust has settled, I’m expecting the people who are claiming to abandon ship to come back aboard… so I’m not really concerned at the moment.

3 Likes

The only reason Diablo 2 is still relevant 20 years later is mostly because of modders fixing things and creating new content. That won’t be the case if they keep their anti-coding mod stance.

3 Likes

Hopefully so. To be fair the game’s not even released yet so we’ll see then if they give modders more options to work with, maybe they’ll give additional support in the future after they’ve smoothed out the launch stuff and have gotten ladder figured out, etc.

2 Likes

Precisely. We have no idea what the future has in store for us so the best we can do is wait and see. I’m remaining optimistic because unlike most others here, I don’t see Vicarious hanging us out to dry.

2 Likes

The dev team there will probably get rolled on to Diablo 4, and a base skeleton crew will keep D2R going until they are moved on to Diablo 4 and D2R is basically running on auto pilot similar to D2 OG.

Probably at some point they will remove the executable obfuscation which would be a big win for modders; but that will probably be after the Diablo 4 launch I’d imagine.

1 Like

i doubt that based on past history with VV and activision i would think they are going to stay on remasters/remakes for the foreseeable future. they already did the major games for Activision so i think that warcaft 1/2 and diablo 1 are in their future before they get moved onto “new” games.

Blizzard already said they aren’t doing Diablo 1 remaster; the game wasn’t fun enough for exec’s to consider it for remastering.

2 Likes

Agreed. Their team has a small hand in D4 right now but that’s for insight purposes, I feel. Activision BLizzard dismantled their Classic Games team because BLizzard didn’t have the personnel insight to manage remasters as they painfully found out. Vicarious Visions is the new hand on this section.

If I am right we will see a steep drop off in patch frequently/number of fixes the closer Diablo 4 gets to shipping. So that might be a good indicator of when D4 is getting closer to ship; kind of a all hands on deck. Keep that in mind if you have stock in Activision; might make some money.

There is 0 communication from VV about mod support. What else do you suppose the modders (and the corresponding communities) should do? Should they tell VV how thankful they are, for keeping them in the dark about the future of their mods in D2R?!

4 Likes