Pls give back the tetris

I didn’t find inventory Tetris to be the complexity that made me enjoy Diablo 2. It was the complexity of making a good character and the equipped equipment and skill builds.

2 Likes

Haha I think it is all those things together. I was mostly being facetious in regards to inventory tetris being a driving factor in any of the rest I mentioned.

I just think if you eliminate every feature similar to this in favor of convenient little boxes that lay out everything for you eventually some of the adventure is lost

2 Likes

That makes sense. But I don’t think there’s any way to avoid qol these days. Like gold pickup. It was a part of D2 and wasn’t necessarily fun but we still did it anyway. At least early game.

Although I understand your take on this, I do like a little RPG elements between the Action parts!

I admit being a casual pleb about this
I enjoy auto gold pickup :v

The Diablo franchise is very much a role playing game.

I’m not interested in the semantics of what that means, but choosing skills for builds and finding items to empower them is character building.

So is leveling up, crafting, etc.

I think it’s in Blizzards interest to evolve. Focusing solely on “killing monsters” and streamlining every other system will diminish longevity. DIII is enough proof of that.

Managing inventory is not something I am for or against. My gripe is with limiting the item artwork and how underwhelming the current system is.

Agreed, but to a point. I mean I am biased because I grew up playing like every major old RPG like baldur’s gate, IWD, Neverwinter, the original Diablo’s, and one of the staples of the RPG genre is a lot of the stuff that everyone is calling to eliminate. Sleeping , eating, becoming encumbered based on what’s in your inventory, based on the gear your character is wearing, skill choice etc.

I mean before someone responds dramatically, I want to say I am absolutely not asking for any of these old challenges and difficulties from the older generation of RPG’s to resurface but I mean they were part of the games for a reason. They are role playing games it really did/can add an element of immersion to have them involved.

I would never expect or at all want something like becoming encumbered or needing to sleep, or even stamina like in D2 to make a comeback. But there are some small aspects of this that I think are okay to have if you want the game to be considered an RPG in genre.

The inventory tetris was an example of this… having to actually pick up loot is another. Now we have people calling to get rid of trading. Pretty soon these games are literally just going to be button mashing free for all’s.

3 Likes

Right and that was kind of my point. The focus on character building is the important part, not inventory Tetris. We’ll get more longevity through those things being the focus since those are what impact our ability to kill things effectively.

I’m not really critical of the art aspect of the inventory so I don’t have an opinion on that either way.

I would rather have a weight system, but not a encumbrance where you can carry more by being slowed, just a hard cap on how much you can carry.

It can be displayed in a similar way as D2s inventory (different sizes) just feel like there is no point in forcing all the organization on to the player, don’t feel like it really adds to the immersion.

Something I never enjoyed was having 6 slots in the bottom line of the inventory empty but being unable to put something there just because the slots weren’t in the right distribution, or when you get a item that uses a 3x1 space and I can’t place it in a 1x3.

Encumbrance systems in your inventory are one of the most annoying things in RPG’s (equipped items can be fine, if it serves a game balance purpose, like in Souls games). I’d certainly prefer it not to exist.

weight is horrible, really xD
hate it in elder scrolls

1 Like

You missed the point of my first response. I just think depth and decision making add to longevity. Systems that are immersive are great for that.

A player asking for tetris seriously?

better items consume more spaces so you need to buy more stash tabs

players: yo can we buy more tabs?
blizzo: sorry fam performance issues!

1 Like

i dont need to buy more space :slight_smile:
i can play it as it is

I’ve got the max 13 tabs unlocked right now and I’m still out of space also including bottom rows of all characters inventories full.

in diablo3?
probably because the drop rate is ridiculous
also stash is not inventory

1 Like

In diablo 2 i had a stupid amount of accounts to carry all items i horded

in diablo 3 i only have 1 of each item, at its best roll

and PoE even though it does use tetris i bought all the special stash tabs to hold everything
(we also know what were picking up on this game with custom filters built in)

This is a discussing on tetris, what are the items while in inventory going to be tetris and once stashed they aren’t? so this is relevant

1 Like

I didn’t miss it. I think the depth and decision making comes from more robust stat and skill systems, with good itemization. Not from inventory Tetris.

It’s not a deep system. It’s an annoyance of how you need to manage an inventory and make more trips to town or not. It’s delaying killing which is the main purpose of the game.

We’ll get far more out of the game with complex character builds than inventory management.

Inventory Tetris is trash. Can’t even remember how many times I’ve had to drop a dagger because the 2 slots I had available were horizontal, not vertical. That doesn’t add game play and it’s not fun. Tetris 99 provides me with all my Tetris needs.

3 Likes

Going to quote myself instead repeating the same things I’ve already said.

Immersion in a role playing game is not necessarily a bad thing.

Right now in DIII any item that isn’t legendary is instantly salvaged and most items only require a simple glance for green/red numbers.

Not saying a weight mechanic will fix any of that I just think depth and decision making add more to the experience.

Managing inventory is not something I am for or against. My gripe is with limiting the item artwork and how underwhelming the current system is.