Please give legacy mode better resolution and wide screen support

One thing I’m disappointed about seeing is that the legacy toggle does not give players the same range or field of view as the new graphics overlay. This harms any players that want to play in legacy graphics. I personally still planned on enjoying both toggles, but it seems like there will be a huge disadvantage for players who decide to play in legacy since they won’t be able to see as much of the screen as players on the resurrected toggle.

I understand that they can’t change FPS or anything in legacy mode, but improving resolution and supporting the same screen sizes as the new version should be easily doable since they’re already doing that in the overlay.

37 Likes

Legacy mode should stay the way it is. If you change it by adding widescreen support or higher resolution images, then it isn’t legacy mode anymore. Legacy mode is supposed to reflect the old 4:3 800x600 style of gameplay.

35 Likes

I’d prefer adding black bars to remaster. Maybe put char stats there or something.

3 Likes

Ok and what does that do for anybody ?

They can have the 800 x 600 option, but also give a better resolution option that still allows legacy mode to be playable. As it is right now no players who are seriously doing PvP or running ladder will ever use the legacy toggle, because it puts them at a huge disadvantage. I like the legacy graphics and would like to use them as something more than a ‘comparison’ tool.

8 Likes

It’s not about advantages or disadvantages, its about having the option to play the game as it was originally meant to be played. I guarantee you there will be some that will choose to play with legacy graphics. If you take that option away, then we’re looking at something similar to another Warcraft 3 fiasco.

4 Likes

When did I say they needed to take the option away?

They can give players the 800 x 600 option, while offering another resolution that gives players the same field of view as the modern graphics overlay.

What’s the problem with that?

8 Likes

You’re right, you didn’t say that. Sorry.

Still, I do not agree that legacy should deviate from what the original game offered, even as an option.

1 Like

Why? how in anyway does that hurt anybody? I don’t want to PvP and not be able to see players off screen, while people on resurrected graphics can see me and kill me.

7 Likes

Well I had a thought about PvP in another thread… Any time you are hostile with someone, you automatically get switched to a 4:3 screen. Black side bars (or pretty art bars) instantly come up putting everyone on an equal visual playing field.

2 Likes

That would ruin the new graphics experience, why limit it to 4:3 ? I understand there needs to be a resolution cap in general to prevent P2W monitors, but there’s a happy medium between using improved resolutions and standardizing it across both graphic modes and different sized monitors.

Because not everyone has a wide screen monitor. But everyone has 4:3 support. This would be a PvP only scenario.

There’s still the problem with monster aggro distance with ultra wide screens that needs addressed. Any ranged class can pick off monsters while they’re standing still.

1 Like

Doesn’t make sense you’re just changing game mechanics. If you hostile someone doing a chaos run, does it automatically revert them to 4:3 ? Sounds messy.

Also how many monitors aren’t widescreen? Last time I checked in 2021 I don’t see any non-widescreen monitors being sold. I understand ultra widescreen is not necessary, but widescreen monitors have become the standard norm.

5 Likes

I’m not talking about the newest monitors. Some people are still running their old 15 year 4:3 lcd screens.

Remember, there are a lot of Diablo 2 players that have old systems. Maybe they upgraded their rig, but chose to keep the same monitor?

1 Like

You realize this game only runs on modern systems right ? How do you expect people that have a modern computer to have such an old awful monitor ? I think you’re assuming way too much.

I highly doubt anyone that has a computer that will run this game will be playing on a 15 year old monitor.

6 Likes

I work in the IT field, I can comfortably state that this is not true. There aren’t very many of them, but they’re still out there. Most of these old monitors have quit working for some reason and they had to get a new one anyway.

Anyways what you’re saying doesn’t matter. VV is not going to lower resolution of their remaster just to satisfy PvP players that haven’t upgraded their monitors in 20 years.

That being said I do think it’s a very bad idea to have ultra widescreen support with higher resolution, but standard widescreen is most likely the most common monitor a majority of players will be using.

5 Likes

Well, good luck getting your request. I’m still not on board with altering legacy mode, because it wouldn’t give the same legacy gameplay feel.

Right I would hardly say it’s ‘altering’ since it’s a toggle able mode. Adding another screen resolution option with legacy graphics can be viewed as another ‘toggle’ specific to legacy mode. It doesn’t really impact or hurt the game for anyone. It just gives players who want to play in legacy mode an equal playing field in competitive settings.

4 Likes

My issue with the solution of forcing 4:3 when hostile is i can join a game and hostile the party just to remove their wide-screen support at any time. That would REALLY make the user experience worse

2 Likes

Exactly, this is a very bad idea.