Playing WW, post Lamentation nerf

Weird. I have not experienced that myself…

What weapons were you using, and what is your attack speed? Can you tell me a little about your setup?

There was some concern in the PTR that at certain attack speeds, you might be re-applying Rend before it could deal damage, or something like that. This turned out not to be the case, based on tests by JustinFan and Svr. But, it’s possible Blizz busted something when the patch went live.

I was using BK swords, attack speed was present in both weapons and one ring + paragon.
I must say that this don’t happens always, it’s sometimes, i tend to notice it against RG or single elites (i was using bloodbath rune, so at first i thought was because the lack of explosions).
Sadly i got DC yesterday and my barb died i can’t replicate the bug anymore.
If is something related to attack speed makes sense, because seems like a some weird of snapshoting bug.

Hmm… were you using any kind of item that dynamically scales AS, like Gogok, EF, or PE?

I was using gogok, because i had some parts without CDR.

So, why are you convinced it wasn’t lag?

Because i was doing constant small damage in the RG (probably the source was DD + base WW), until the moment rend proced and the RG died (this happened after like 8 seconds, and the connection bar was green)

Fair enough. Well, the only thing I can think of is this:

In this thread, Svr and JustinFan discuss their Rend/WW findings. At one point, JF says:

Maybe in some instances, if your APS is scaling up with every hit, as with Gogok, the instances of Rend are being overridden before they can deal damage, because they are pegged to an AS with, say, only 1 Gogok stack, and the next WW hit occurs a little faster, with 2 Gogok stacks, etc, etc, until you reach the max 15 stacks. So, perhaps when the RG spawned, your Gogok dropped off, and then as it stacked up, your rends were being overridden.

I dunno. That’s my best guess. I’ll keep an eye out and an ear to the ground for any further info.

Edit: just did a little test and was unable to duplicate your results… if you see it happening in the future, try to record video.

So at my paragon (1200), can I assume that it would be best to go with BoM + Mantle? When is it best to transition to RoRG + CC?

While I can’t answer your question I can say that I in an hour session I maxed out at 114 today and did a few 16 min 115s with RoRG+CC. 1850p.

I’ll try BoM and Mantle tomorrow and see how it compares.

I’m in the process of updating the Zodiac WW guide for Season 19. Currently, everything up to Part 3 is updated. Will finish the rest over the weekend/next week.

There’s no real cutoff, but I think that 3k Paragon is, for most players, when you start to move away from Band of Might. But YMMV.

1 Like

While i appreciate your guide, Would it be possible to include diablofans links or maybe d3planner ? <3

I ran WW/CC/BK2 all last season in HC. You don’t need BoM, but you do need to use IP. When you push you have to keep both WotB and IP up or you will have toughness issues. I did have mantle in the cube so that is a bit more toughness than with lamentation. Even at GR 117 (~P1900, 115 Augs) toughness was only becoming to be an issue for the heavy hitting physical mobs (Chargers, beserkers, bulls). For speed runs I don’t see much of a need for BoM at all. Push setup with IB swords would also help offset the loss of mantle in the cube. If you are good with managing your CDs you can get away from using BoM. Playing with BoM, though, offers EZ toughness so just depends on how you want to play.

1 Like

Great. I think I’ll keep going with BoM. At my level I’ve been running into DPS issues rather than toughness, but I’ve been doing BoM + CC + RoRG. No CoE. Next week should be different with the new buff though my impression is dmg caps out fast with this rend build.

I actually like the opposite approach. Last season I equipped Crimson as soon as possible and plan to do that again. I don’t have toughness problems with crimsons dr. The extra damage and cdr from crimsons really help make progress early on when gear is sub-optimal.

There are both of these that I have made that ports over Free’s guide to Dfans and contains a d3planner link of the best rolls. I have not updated either yet as i was waiting for Free to finish the guide here before I update so keep an eye on the below link for updates coming this week.

https://www.diablofans.com/builds/104918-s18-2-6-6-zodiac-whirlwind-ultimate-guide-gr-125

Thing is, last Season, WW’s damage was really bad. That’s not the case now.

Going for Crimson’s means spending mats and stacking CDR rolls. If you’re playing in Seasons, I think you’re better off using the Core build until you have more Paragon and saved materials. The Core build is going to be very strong right out of the gate and won’t require you to stack lots of CDR (you only need enough with a diamond in helm + Zodiac for perma-Wrath).

For Hardcore play, I don’t recommend dropping Band. I would keep Band + Stomp in the build forever, and I would also stack Crimson’s and Mortick’s for additional DR. That way, you only have to keep perma-Wrath active, and refresh Band every 8 seconds. This is much tankier than using IP + Wrath. Trust me.

Remember, the build has way more damage than it did last Season, so you’ll want the extra toughness as you acclimate to your new power.

No doubt way tougher and I would recommend most HC players do use BoM, but those that have played a lot of barb in HC can get away without BoM.

Normal mode players should be able to more easily get away from BoM for CoE if they so desired. Previously, with WW your damage runs out before your toughness, but it will likely end up the opposite with the buff and you may need BoM for pushing (depending on your paragon). Just putting it out there that you can drop BoM for speeds in season and go with CoE. It’s totally doable.

That’s all true, but I always run a lot of bounties in seasons to have mats for rerolling anyway. Spending a few on a viable crimsons set isn’t too much of a setback. Anyway, I’m going to run that route, and we can compare notes.

I’m taking this approach as well especially in HC, it’s much easier to get some public bounties running early in the season so typically I like to knock them out as quickly as possible. Hopefully RNG will be kind to us and the plans and RoRG will drop sooner rather than later. One thing that is nice about either approach these days is we are finally freed from the tyranny of the 6-second Pride of Cassius.

Amen to that. [chars…]