Pixelated lanterns/lights

What models do you currently have? Is there an AMD graphics card or switchable graphics on the system? Are you currently on Catalina?

There’s a few driver issues on Catalina that we’re currently aware of. It’s causing graphical issues or crashes with many of our games. Diablo III has been a bit more stable on terms of the crashes due to the graphics API it uses, but we still see the graphical issues with in the game like pixelated items in-game. It is a problem that we’re aware of, but with this being a concern with the driver, it may take time before a fix is available.

Radeon Pro 560X.

No, no switchable graphics on this iMac.

Catalina 10.15.4

Radeon Pro 580X
Mojave 10.14.6
No switchable graphics.
iMac MRR12 (Core i5, 64GB RAM)

I still get it with antialiasing ON or OFF.

Problem seems to have suddenly resolved itself this morning.
Changed no settings. Strange.

Spoke too soon. It’s back again :expressionless:

It’s a known issue. No ETA for a fix.

The issue in this thread has nothing to do with over heating.

1 Like

Ok , so no pixelated lanterns for me now nearly two weeks. Occasional slight pixelation on random explosions. I haven’t changed anything.

I am still seeing them on Lanterns, Tyrael’s sword…any “Blueish” Cave exits, explosions.

Just to say this is still an issue for me. In addition to lanterns being pixelated it is also appearing on the random effects like the snowball that spawns.

Rather disappointing this still has no fix when it clearly has something to do with the game?

1 Like

I’m having the same issues with lanterns, Tyrael’s sword, the blueish cave floors/exits, and explosions. System specs are:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 64 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 8 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7340
Revision ID: 0x0040
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 5.0.0
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2

1 Like

As odd as it may seems. The pixelation bug is gone when playing on the M1 mini. I’m assuming other M1 Macs don’t see the bug either.

I guess Diablo 3 is supported on the M1’s?

Yes. D3 works fine with latest Big Sur beta on the mini.

I am getting the same thing.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz
Chipset Model: Radeon RX 580
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 8 GB
1 Like

I’m a bit late to the party, but it’s running under the Rosetta 2 translation layer. It isn’t natively supported currently. It might be in the future, but given we haven’t even gotten a Metal update for D3 thus far, Blizzard may just ride out the transition period and write it off as an old game no longer supported on ARM Macs. We’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like

Same here. Playing on the M1 and everything looks great.

Any Mac Pro users (or TB3 eGPU) with a 5700xt have the same issue?
What about the Mac Pro 2013?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue.

Video clip on YouTube: Glitched illumination in Diablo 3 on MacOS w/AMD Radeon 5700 XT - YouTube

AMD Radeon 5700 XT w/8GB ram… in a Razor Core X eGPU housing w/Thunderbolt 3 cable. Brand new install of Diablo 3 on MacOS 11.2.1 (Big Sur). MacBook Air (Late 2018) dual-core i5 w/16GB RAM, fully up to date w/official Apple graphics drivers. Plays other Blizzard games w/out any graphical glitches.

Best guess:

Some shader bug when calculating effects on surface textures over adjacent geometry. It’s almost like the surface normal of the geometry for baked-in lighting has overflowed and been reversed, because the pixellated chunks that shimmer are subtracting the effects of illumination entirely, even from the simpler “halo blob” drawn behind the lit object. The object itself does not have any lighting applied to it, it is plain and lit at the default “global illumination” level. The pixellated shimmering effect is only visible at the edges where the light-emitting object overlaps the “halo blob” backlight.

I’m guessing those backlights are in game as simple 2D geometry with a starburst (or smear, for cave entrances) “texture” on it, with an alpha that quickly ramps up to complete transparency, but is painted into a buffer layer reserved for sources of light – so when the projected light from the object interacts with it attempting to additively increase the illumination, it actually ends up cancelling or subtracting the light from it, thinking “oh, that geometry is facing the other way, do not apply lighting to it.” This is why the shimmer doesn’t happen to everything, only to object’s “projected light” shader checking its boundaries in screen space and accidentally destructively interacting with other “light”.

Lights in D3 tend to have a mix of contributing illumination to dark surfaces, but also “painting over things” with a see-through color contribution, so the light itself has a kind of weightiness or volume.

5 Likes