PCGamesN new interview w/ D2R leads

utterly ridiculous they have “leaving town repeatedly to change vendor items” as a reason for a ban.

I understand why its in place, I really do. But its unacceptabler and blizzard should really strive to never have such ridiculous text litter the otherwise stunning accomplishment that is so far d2:r

edit: i am referring to classic d2lod, this would obviously not fly for d2:r

1 Like

I disagree. With the practice of gameplay you can move your inventory very quickly using the controller with the available hotkeys. It is even possible to fill the belt with the control (right stick press). It was a very wise decision to leave the inventory as in the original. List or wheel are not good.

One thing that needs to change in the controller interface is the name of the items on the ground. They appear automatically, and when you are in melee combat gets in the way. I think there should be an option for the loot to appear only if you press LB / L1.

1 Like

Maybe I misunderstand, but you don’t think the temp ban in in D2R do you? That temp ban is in the OLD game on the OLD Blizzard servers.

D2R has the refresh button instead so people don’t have to run outside town to reset it which caused server stability issues.

I was pointing out that the Gheed refresh button was put in to solve a problem with the game and is a win win for players and for Blizz.

1 Like

sorry, I worded that quite poorly. I think its still ridiuclous to have that rule on classic d2lod servers.

I like everything I read in this interview, questions were also very good.

Beta is confirmed aa multiplayer and no ploot are the best points.

7 Likes

My biggest issue is the play on nostalgia, by saying “remembering childhood” crap. Sorry, my teenage years were spent on launch D2 and LoD. I was an adult when 1.10 came out, which is what this remaster is based off of. It really isn’t nostalgia when it is literally the same game I’m already playing. “Preservation of the original” really isn’t there, since it is preserving the “modernized” D2 versions as opposed to the classic (even classic non expac is affected by the latest version).

With that said, I plan to play the first ladder. Probably just a FO Sorc and Zealer, with some mules for other character equipment, then wait for the Plugy or equivalent for single player and just go with that. Unless of course, they decide to ungate the amount of ladder only content to non ladder and/or do some balance fixes to make other classes a bit more viable. I really don’t see good things with success on console version however, could be wrong, but I believe the biggest complaint on console is playing the equipment management game more than actually playing the game (this of course is if they don’t add mouse and keyboard support).

1 Like

In theory, I agree with you, but shop bots are a plague in many games, D2 included. They’re objectively unable to be a plague to that same extent now.

2 Likes

I think it is ridiculous that people don’t have any warnings about the possible temp restrictions. That part bugs me. Most people don’t expect a VPN (super common now for security reasons), or a commercial ISP to cause a temp ban. A warning would be nice! I have passed that feedback on to multiple teams. Download page maybe?

I do understand why they exist though. Tech on the old Bnet and game is pretty limited. Normally game companies try to go after the cheaters/bots without inconveniencing the real players, but that is not always possible. It is not ideal, but my understanding is that the game is a mess without those restrictions (the whole list, not just Gheed). I don’t really suspect they will allocate resources to re-work old Bnet and the old game.

At least D2R recognized the issue and solved it for both players AND the game stability.

1 Like

while I generally agree with you, and even where I disagree, I’ll generally shrug my shoulders and actually trust your expertise given your forum position – you have to have a pretty good view of things to get your recognition that you have – BUUUUUUUT

i draw the line where the majority of legitimate players are hurt, where botters are not.

I think we both are more then aware that the only “botters” blizzard is stopping with their current design, is “would-be” amatuer botters. people that know what theyre doing are doing it with other-wise minimal cost to business.

Its a bad “security” implementation that SHOULD be an embarrassment… But, with d2:r on the horizon, one would agree that only a fool would invest in classic d2lod soloutions (to counter third party tools)

If I explain how I got covered in green mold and how little I can do would that help? MVPs are regular players who don’t represent Blizz in any way, or get compensated in any way. I have no power at all - not even mod power. I can only do what you can do.

This is a generic post about the MVP program overall. MVPs: Most Valuable Forum Posters - General Discussion - SC2 Forums

I was in 3 of the MVP programs before D3 got mothballed. So two now. The major one is Tech/Customer support which basically means being a volunteer information desk - which is what MVPs do in most games too. BUT because we don’t work for Blizz we are allowed to also post opinions of our own and speak as we wish within the limits for the forum rules.

I think everyone should! That is usually a clear line for most software makers. If you can’t be effective, don’t ruin it for the average player. For example captcha is easy solved by bots but not by real players so it does not help, it just annoys. Most game companies don’t use an in-game captcha system despite may forum goers suggesting it (and being shot down by other players on the forums).

There are a few factors with the old Classic Bnet and Classic D2/LoD.

• Investment in old game and archetecture as you said.
  • The big thing to go after for bots is suing the crud out of them. But to do that you have to protect your intellectual property from the start. You can’t just start 21 years later and say “oh they stole and revered engineered our code to produce products that hurt our player base and revenue”. No. You have to do it from the start and keep it up.
  • D2 allowed mods and they never went after private servers. That right there sets precedent and would make it a hard legal battle to go after people using their code.

Blizz did not start doing that until later after WoW was released and the company grew enough to have some clout. They have won judgements against major bot makers worth millions, several times. Bot makers who impacted multiple of their games.

So there are several prongs to the approach:

• In game mechanics that make running bots and cheats harder
  • Anti cheat software on the game servers + bans
  • Suing the companies who make the cheating software

The Hacks team who handles the bulk of that for Blizz has a tough line to walk with regard to player enjoyment, removing cheaters, and legal obligations for IP protection.

1 Like

generally, I think at this point the idea would be to drop the security methods if its been established that it isnt stopping the botters, but instead stopping casual players.

I’m well aware how you can get mvp status, i remember when blizzard introduced the system :slight_smile:
i was just saying that this is a time when I think i’ll have to stick with my own opinion, that the service itself is a lip service attempt at security that instead penalizes the same players its attempting to protect, while flimsy enough that botters literally have rules-of-conduct to avoid getting these same penalties.

at this point, it kind of feels like blizzard is well aware, but the only result that lifting the restrictions would have ultimately is higher server upkeep costs, so they kind of just disregard it :frowning:

Well you have to find some kind of common ground - it wouldnt really work to release different versions of each patches.

And while i´m with you there that i personally prefer certain aspects of the earlier versions more, I´m good with 1.14.
Considering all those wild ideas posted here, the changes from 1.07 to 1.14d are relatively small.

Problem is also that different people prefer different aspects of these older patches. It´s just impossible to satisfy everyones preferations there.

1 Like

Spending so much time having 3600+ replies is worth a MVP title to me.

And as always everybody has different opinion. I never expect MVP to think the same as me or anybody else.

The possible temp ban for shopping runs is a surprise to me.

Even in the last year, I have spent more than an hour at a time in Lut Gholein running in and out of town while shopping Fara for Vulpine Shields of Deflection for my Lvl 9 duelers. I have never experienced a temp ban during these shopping trips.

It was unbelievably tedious. I might have welcomed a temp ban.

The change between 1.09 to 1.10 was HUGE. After 1.10, most of the builds I enjoyed playing were nerfed to the ground and became tedious. It turned a loot farming game into a rune and base farming game, dramatically increased the amount of bots, homogenized the games actual played diversity even worse, made the itemization worse (since sets and uniques became overshadowed and underpowered for physical dmg dealers), etc.

Now with that said, I do completely understand having the baseline of 1.14d to start. I would have preferred at least a small balance pass at start, then gauge at launch to see true balance needs. However, my comment was really at the play to nostalgia, since I don’t consider it true nostalgia really, except to those that have not played in over a decade, which most people would have quit playing at the 1.10 mark over the changes, thus not catering to their vision of what the game was, but what it became.

1 Like

My opinion:

1. They shall add a “refresh” button to all vendors so that people don’t have to leave the game and join repeatedly.
  2. Leaving and joining game repeatedly should not result in a temp ban.
  3. If I am accidentally banned occasionally because an effective measure to fight bot, I can tolerate. If not, then please remove such ban.

This is actually a good question…I didn’t see a shop-refresh, only a gamble-refresh in alpha.

I wonder what will make it to launch, would help some of my builds IMMENSELY to have a shop refresh.

They don’t talk about what the threshold is for the temp ban. My guess is they don’t want to pester reg players which is why you did not run into it with your moderate use.

1 Like

Well 1.10 released in 2003 - we live with these kind of changes now for nearly 18 years.

The time 1.10 was current is relatively very small compared to this. Many of the current long time D2 fans are now used to this and experienced loads of nostalgic moments in the last 18 years.

1 Like

It will save me countless hours if they add a shop refresh, and that is not an exaggeration.

I am not sure if this is a good thing, as it would be changing the game A LOT from a gameplay point of view in a remaster, but…I guess I’d have to live with it if that’s what they choose.