PC Keeps Turning Off When Playing Diablo 3

Over the past couple weeks, I’ve been playing Diablo for several hours at a time with no issues. But now, when I play, my PC randomly turns off, and over the past few days, it’s been happening more frequently. Today alone it’s happened 3 times in just a few hours. Nothing freezes or errors, the PC just suddenly turns off and auto-reboots. At fist, it happened after I was playing for a bit, but now, it doesn’t seem to matter, it just happens any time at random.

Nothing else causes this - it only happens when playing D3. I turned all my video/audio settings to the lowest possible values and it hasn’t helped. Decreased max framerate from 120 to 60. My SSHD/GPU temps seem normal (95 and 160 degrees F, respectively, at time of last crash). I opened up my PC case - no dust, and the fans are working. I even left the side panel off to help get better air circulation - still crashed. Other things are plugged into the same power strip and none of them are losing power.

The only entry I can find in the Event Viewer is “Critical: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.”

I installed a program called “Who Crashed,” but I found that no crash information is being written, despite it being enabled in the “Startup and Recovery” options.

I have an Alienware X51 with a GeForce GTX 960 (2GB GDDR5) graphics card. Windows 10 with auto updates enabled (i.e., OS is fully updated). All my drivers for the video card, etc., are up to date, and actually haven’t had any updates in awhile.

Any ideas?

Update:

Here’s a screenshot of my system temperatures about 2 minutes before a crash while I was running a rift: https://i.imgur.com/eqSFQQl.png

Hey there Tallywix

That’s quite frustrating to hear about the computer randomly turning off. That can be a sign of a more serious issue though with Windows, memory, disk drives, power supply, or other pieces of hardware. A local tech is likely what’s going to be needed. Just to set an expectation, the system shutting down is outside what we can directly help out with.

A couple ideas do come to mind with the fact that you’re not seeing any error reports. A new admin account may help with some Windows issues, along with a System File Check.

For hardware, a memory test and scan disk can be useful. Also make sure to disable overclocking and XMP profiles if any is enabled while troubleshooting.

Beyond that, you’ll want to talk to a local computer tech for why the system is shutting down.