Patterns of Justice - SW/TR new set feed back

Set bonuses:

• 2-Piece Bonus: Sweeping Wind gains the effect of every rune
  • 4-Piece Bonus: Each enemy within Sweeping Wind increases your movement speed by 5%. Stacks up to 10 times.
  • 6-Piece Bonus: Attacking with Tempest Rush while Sweeping Wind is active will temporarily increase the size of Sweeping Wind after hitting over 30 times within a short period. Sweeping Wind damage is increased by 10,000%

I think the 4 piece should scale with stacks of SW and buff AS for each stack, mitigating the fact that this build doesn’t have flying dragon like gen builds.

The 10k% seems detached from TR in the 6 piece due to the period between effects. It appears to me to say: Hitting 30 times with TR buffs the size of SW. Also SW gets a 10k% damage buff.

If the set is attaching both effects to TR it should read something like:

“6-Piece Bonus: Attacking with Tempest Rush while Sweeping Wind is active will temporarily increase the size of Sweeping Wind after hitting over 30 times within a short period and also increase the damage of Sweeping Wind by 10,000%”

If AS buff is high enough, window on Shenlong’s should be perfectly fine. And I’ll discuss why I think it might be efficient to assume that Shenlong’s is a balance point for the class in a minute.

Since people are looking for damage mitigation (due to the missing ring discussion) Blizz could balance around having monks DW VW and Crystal Fist (which means TR is once again worthless) while cubing another weapon that they give a SW effect to. That’s another way of dealing with the multipliers, though I don’t think it would be very elegant for the devs to do so.

The way I see it, if each patch going forward is going to fine tune 2 classes once, and that’s it. You’re done until all classes have gotten a pass, and there may not be a second, then we should advocate (like the Barbs) for getting as much fixed as possible in this given tuning. The main builds the Monk has right now are:

WoL builds: LoD / SWK / Inna’s

Gen builds: Raiment / Inna’s

SSS build (which I think is still not doing so hot right now)

SSS needs love, but I don’t know where to begin with that set. Someone else who knows about it should make some recommendations to the devs I think.

According to Icy Veins, the top two builds are LoD WoL, and Raiment Shenlong.

Due to the VW buff, WoL LoD just got a buff. Now if the two were neck and neck, to keep the sets balanced, why not buff Shenlong for Raiment? If WoL was already a little ahead (which is the sense I get from reading the comments) then it makes even more sense to buff Shenlong’s for Raiment. Here’s another example of what i’m seeing:

-https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/cp2e43/s18_266_what_is_the_best_build_for_monk_and_dh_thx/-

Now Blizzard can try to tweak Raiment bonuses, and fix this set separately by giving it a weapon in cube or something, but that seems like a lot of work. If Blizzard just fixes the damage on this set through AS and buffs Shenlong’s to bring Raiment and WoL to parity, this set’s multipliers get addressed too PROVIDED that Blizzard makes the AS good enough to keep Shenlong’s window up.

That’s why I’m saying for this set 2.5x multiplicative AS on 4 piece, stacks with SW stacks and then Shenlong’s 3x → 4x to help it keep pace with VW buffs for WoL. There’s your 10x multiplier right there, Raiment doesn’t get left in the dust. What’s not to like, honestly?

If Shenlong’s window is still tough, buff AS more. Honestly the bonuses on this set are awful aside from the 6p. What does every rune of SW give us?

More damage (which could just be given in the 6p and no one would bat an eye)
Spirit (which we do what with? TR? Gonna have to support that devs, hits like a wet noodle).
Bigger radius (TR buffs anyway, again could be given in the 6p and no one would be the wiser).
Cyclones (only interesting bonus IMO but you could just pick this rune yourself)
Freeze (once every 3 sec with diminishing returns. Thanks)

Assuming you pick cyclones, there’s nothing in the 2 piece that’s really awesome.

4 piece is just movement speed. MOVEMENT. SPEED. Look at other 4p sets and tell me that all they get is something like movement speed, ESPECIALLY if the 2p didn’t already give something useful like DR.

2 piece and 4 piece are a bust. 4 piece can be made worth something by making stacks of SW give AS too, balance with Shenlong. Done deal.

could you explain more why vw boost buffs lod wol? it does not! it only buffs swk wol and actually this build is approx half dmg of lod. new vw gives approx a 13/10 boost (you gain 13 instead of 10 stacks of wind).
the missing dr and useless movement component are obvious.
and i feel shenlong is not your choice since what if the secound buff comes into play? you can’t do tr. i feel istvans bonus is way to go, maybe i’m wrong but looks easier.

2 Likes

“could you explain more why vw boost buffs lod wol?”

It doesn’t, only SWK. I misspoke. I guess the discussion then is how far behind is gen build from WoL LoD?

“it only buffs swk wol and actually this build is approx half dmg of lod. new vw gives approx a 13/10 boost (you gain 13 instead of 10 stacks of wind).”

I guess that would have to be fixed with set bonus if devs care to fix it at all.

“and i feel shenlong is not your choice since what if the secound buff comes into play? you can’t do tr.”

There’s no good reason to do tr with the set as written. It’s a meme.

“i feel istvans bonus is way to go, maybe i’m wrong but looks easier.”

For TR maybe but the set gives no bonus to TR. So it seems silly to try and force it when the set has no good synergy with it

if i get it correct then the devs want to have tr in. i feel the increased range will be key to kill more trash. also tr has higher proccs on cyclones (when i remember correct there was a fire rune epi try out and tr procced the effect very often). maybe thats the reason behind. and if i’m correct the sw dmg was on some time connected to ias (there was a snapshot mechanic), they removed the snapshot (for meteor builds similar but there it helps of course) but i think to remember that still ias yields to dmg which would then be good for istvans.

“if i get it correct then the devs want to have tr in.”

Well they’d better support it then lol. Without a set multiplier, it’s doing to hit like poo.

“i feel the increased range will be key to kill more trash.”

I don’t think anything is beating WoL in range. Further we can already pull trash in if we need to, so the range seems more like a gimmick for speed builds than something a serious set builds around.

“also tr has higher proccs on cyclones”

Nothing beats WothF: FoF for proc rates. The skill baseline has an insane proc rate, but it also stacks a DoT that procs independently. The amount of cyclones you can belch per second is something I never got TR to come close to matching from my testing.

“and if i’m correct the sw dmg was on some time connected to ias”

It’s connected to sheet damage which IAS buffs, which is why I suggest making the 4p buff IAS as well.

“but i think to remember that still ias yields to dmg which would then be good for istvans.”

Yeah if you’re using TR, Istvan’s is a contender for top pick. The question is what set multiplier is supporting TR to make it worth while to optimize for?

i didn’t say sw is beating wol, i think its obvious that the set as it is designed is poor crap.
i simply have the feeling they wanted to push a sw/tr build so yes, they simply should add the sw bonus dmg to swk 6p set as suggested above.
and yeah, i think you are right, fof has best proccs ever :slight_smile: did not use it with soh when it was bis since it was no lightning (frost or poison).

Since the set currently does not buff TR, the only viable runes of TR to use is Holy for the cheaper TR cost ot Tailwind for the increased movement speed. As Celtic pointed out, SW lacks supportng legendaries to make this build viable for high GR. It should be good for bounties and torment farming since it will be crazy fast. If they change it to include TR in the 6 piece bonus then it is still behind SWK TR for TR damage but the combined TR and SW may be comparable. As has been pointed out numerous times, without any inherant DR, the set will not be able to push into high GR content.

Thing is, you get 9750 From LON/LOD and , regardless of pieces the set uses, it gets way better than the new set with off pieces and the increase to TR too.

You could use Mantle, hexing, Aquila, Eye, Ascendance Epiphany, Lightning TR, crap ton of RC and there you have it, redundant new set.

1 Like

As the set is currently the only thing it does better than a LoD/LoN version is the larger radius from SW and the increased movement speed. I’m not convinced that giving up 52% DR is worth 50% Movement Speed and a larger AoE. Monks already have some of the fastest builds in the game and SWK with the new VW should be plenty strong for T16 farming and bounties with In-Geom instead of Kyoshiro’s Blade.

I think everyone is worried about how much damage it will do and not how it will play. I get the feeling the damage will be buffed by the end of PTR to be forced as the top solo build so I’d say we stick to recommendations on how to make the build fun to play as both a speed build and a pushing build.

11 Likes

Davlok!!! Long time, no post! Welcome back. I hope that you can be part of a “Monk buffs proposal” similar to what Free and Rage did for the Barb community. You are certainly one of the most knowledgeable players with regards to monk mechanics.

Welcome back bro!! We need you.

Certainly. I feel the current proposal really bottlemecks how it plays. I firmly believes shifting sweeping skill bonus onto swk and let thia set be sole TR provides more flexibility for both builds. Swk forces dual wield TR by binding vw, same as poj. Swapping set bonuses will allow balance to be equipped and have open slots in weapon. Swk already binds sw in 2/4 bonuses, adding skill to set bonus damage% will unlock hybrid playstyle such as melee pillar on ancients + cyclone sw… Etc. Game in the current state should allow flexibility more than anything.

I can see why they designed it like this. Swk is a secondary skill set, sw belongs to technique category. But thats a pretty rigid categrosing system w/o considering actual gameplay. If vw doesn’t have sw % its still ok, given the buff, it seems such a joke that swk 6pc doesn’t support sw.

But our core problem is lacking DR% on set bonuses vs other class sets. 4/5 sets are missing it. Exclude inna, uliana is okayish with belt. PoJ looks like best strategy is hybrid swk 2pc, why the bottleneck again?? Raiment is so desperate for DR%. We need to make some serious demands. Its probably now or never with D4 around the corner.

2 Likes

where’s the set bonus for damage reduction of at least 50 percent.

After playing a few rifts with it, I’m not impressed with the set. It has a fair amount of damage but the movement speed didn’t seem overly impressive (I was expecting something closer to Chicken Doc speed) and the radius of SW didn’t seem too much bigger in dense packs. I don’t know if there is a visual indicator on the UI of the TR interaction on SW and any duration of that interaction (it could be there but I just missed it?).

I’ve been playing with it for a few hours now. A few points of feedback:

• The Eye of the Storm rework is practically moot. If it’s goal was to be a RGK, it’s a wasted slot because Bane of the Stricken gem gives you that power
  • The 6pc bonus aside from the TR damage is almost worthless I don’t think I’ve procced it more than a handful of times in the two hours I’ve been trying the new set.
  • The build is incredibly squishy, you’re a glass… not even a glass cannon because in order to stack enough damage to do anything of relevant you literally can’t survive a t13 rift, so there’s no point.
4 Likes

The wording on the 6pc damage bonus is unclear. Is it always on, or does it depend on hitting with Tempest Rush?

it is always on, I left out Tr completely as it doesn’t do anything and built around SW with lightning as that used to be a fun variant - got up to GR 90 with 12/13 ancients, some augments from previous gear and ias gems (93/105)+ trapped 106 (no stricken yet) - as this playstyle requires lots of hits to proc tornados I started playing with shenlongs for the 200%all dmg buff, lowering my spirit to fill up faster, not finished there yet but it’s hella lot squishy and the affix parts that are wasted on tr are a pain to behold.

As I said below (well answered to another post below but read up before this), I got to Gr90 with SW tornados but I used Assimilation for the rune - what would, in your opinion be better - more nados or a bit less with about 8-10 stacks Assimilation?

The only way i see this set remotely close to what they intended is if the bonus dmg applies to TR aswell and they buff it to something like 20k X

1 Like

First impressions of this set:

Its horrible. In execution.

1. TR is way too spirit intensive for this set. Just to hit equilibrium you have to dedicate multiple pieces. This is compounded even further by sweeping winds love for IAS. Faster Attacks means more damage on SW but you need even more spirit generation or cost reduction.
  2. The 6 piece bonus feels worthless as it never procs and when it does its barely noticeable.
  3. No defense at all. As long as unavoidable affixs exist in d3, any set without a true dr option is null and void.
  4. Speed bonus is impossible to really test because you either do way too much damage and never have mobs to speed off of or your dead because you have no dr.

Potential fixes-

2- pc SW gains all runes and TR now costs 10 spirit or Free.
4- You gain 5% movement speed and 5% dr per mob sweeping winds has hit in the last 10 seconds. Stacks up to 10 times.
6- Sweeping winds damage is increase by 40000%, If TR hits more than 15 times in 4 seconds, Sweeping winds range is massively increased for 4 seconds. (like 30 yards increase).

Edit:
2 other notes, Kyoshiros soul damage increase to SW should be a legendary effect. Also, as state up above, EOTS helm should give at least 200% damage increase and should be given the kyoshiro blade or balance treatment (fewer then 3 targets)

8 Likes