Overall feeling in D4

I guess you guys already read this kind of post many times, but I would like to share my opinion about it and what I would like to see in D4. ps.: sorry in advance for my english :wink:

What maked me love Diablo and Diablo 2 is the constant feeling of hopelessness, the constant feeling of being late to avoid something terrible happens.
The story in D1 was kinda primitive, just a single incipit, proportional to the production budget and the game itself; they didnt want to invest that much of course for a brand new IP. Franckly I think they didnt hope to gain that much of success and appreciation.
It was with D2 that they evolve and raise the bar and fullfill their ambition in story telling though. I remember the first time I saw the cinematic trailer of D2ā€¦ it literally CHILLED MY BONES. It was a glorious storyline, so rich, obscureā€¦a title for adult people.
And here are my whishes (and my concerns) about D4: i really hope that will make a title for players now in their 30ā€™s early 40s, leaving the BS invincible hero-concepts which completly ruined the main feeling in D3. There are countless issues in the lore and the story (some of them are really embaressing and got me angry at first, as the complete predictable ā€œplotā€), but I could close an eye about them if only the main feeling of the game is the sense of desperation and loneliness.
Iā€™m not confident theyā€™re realizing that expecially cuz they game need to reach a my grater audience as possible.
Hopefully Immortal will provide that financial contentment letting D4 to be what is meant to be. I dont knowā€¦we will seeā€¦Iā€™m crossing my fingers.
ps.: those saint seiya armors need to go too, with all those skills fireworks effects.
I know, iā€™m asking so much XD
Cheers

2 Likes

I still think that weā€™re playing as heroes in Diablo 2 (not quite in 1) as well just like in Diablo 3, yet Diablo 3 is not all about powerful heroes defeating the evils; rather, the entire story is telling us the choice between good and evil, which is kind of a philosophical topic instead of simple storyline and theme in Diablo 1 and 2.
Do nowadays people pursue simple villains and simple story? Or more of realistic situation and atmosphere? I donā€™t think darkness and gore can attract most of the people in present times.

I agree that they could have made the story better. I still consider the story and concept of Reaper of Souls as excellent work; it just does not continue what it is supposed to continue.

If there is Diablo 4 (I hope not), I just wish that it can continue the end of Reaper of Souls, which gives us the question: what would we (the hero) choose? Good or Evil? Would we choose by ourselves, or manipulated by someone else?
Please give us Inarius and Lilith.

Personally, Iā€™ve never got a feeling of hopelessness while playing Diablo 2 (and Iā€™ve played through that game for years, did the story over a hundred times). Of course, the game definitely gave off a feeling of dread and perhaps even dispair, but only through the npcs, not our characters themselves. Iā€™ve never felt that the playable characters themselves were affected by any of the catastrophes, besides the usual ā€œoh, weā€™re late here too? Onto the next place then.ā€.

My characters still felt powerful (maybe not superhero powerful but powerful enough that they could tangle with the prime evils) as they and they alone were the only ones making a difference in a world succumbing to corruption.

Just came back here to make an analogy: just watch the new Sigma [Overwatch] origin storyā€¦thatā€™s what I talking about! chills down the spine everytime I watch that short!! :slight_smile:
an original story, a creepy and disturbing character
I think THIS kind of lunacy is what the new encarnation of the Diablo IP needs.

Answering the previous posts:

Sorry mate, I didnt see any choices you could have done in D3ā€¦youā€™re the Nephalem, needed to save the world all alone (without feeling any threats) period

ofcourse people pursue simple stories, but it doesnt mean they are good ones.
Regarding the gore I agree completely: itā€™s useless without the right atmosphere; I would say its cheap and easy

this could be interestingā€¦but I dont knowā€¦they really need to takr out the rabbit from the cilinder here; The choice youā€™re talking about could be interestine thoughā€¦but I would appreciate some sort of an inevitable and terrible ending, like the hero in D1 corrupted by Diablo or something. Some fate, if you want, which brings the player down to Earthā€¦

I understand what you mean, of course you have the feeling to be powerful and stuff during the main part of the game, but just think about the Marius main story: its something thats already happend, you cannot change it no matter what; in that regard you are late, youā€™re chasing a fate thatā€™s already happeningā€¦

Diablo 2 lost a good portion of the darkness that began with Diablo 1, and I think a good portion of that is the power ceiling and capabilities characters were able to take up. Of course, Diablo 3 blew that out of the water. Contrary to above posts, Diablo 3 had a very linear track; linking it to philosophy is so flimsy that I could make similar or better comparisons with Diablo 1. It doesnā€™t make 3 any deeper for it.

Iā€™d like a return to some of 1ā€™s philosophies, but Iā€™m resigned to the fact that in all likelyhood, Iā€™d be lucky to get something that at least plays like Diablo as we know it even from 3 to an extent, let alone something with a story/atmosphere to rival anything before. Iā€™m just not sure theyā€™ve got it by and large, though they clearly still have some of the juice.

Hopefully itā€™s enough, who knows.

I would love to see the whole story dropped on itā€™s head and spun around. Heaven now is ā€œbad guyā€ and itā€™s up to us to team up with Diablo to set Heaven right.
I would set the tone even more dreary because if Heaven is in decay, then imagine the world. What I would like to see are real towns, not all burned out husks with a few people here and there and make the people more interactive, Sort of like they did in Act 5. Even though the world has gone to crap, there are still enclaves that are alive and vibrant, so lets see those.

The Diablo story is limited because the demons donā€™t have interesting motivations ā€“ they want to corrupt humanity and blow up Heaven because theyā€™re demons and thatā€™s what demons do. You could get some complexity by focusing on how humanity deals with this, their own internal politics, but thatā€™s not what the games are about.

Maybe theyā€™ll give Lilith a more interesting ideology. Maybe she tells humanity she only wants them to reach their potential under her matronly guidance. In a time of chaos she might prove to be a source of stability. Maybe she can convince people that Heaven is run by authoritarian busy-bodies. Wouldnā€™t exactly be a lie.

Usually when a work wants to make demons more complex they focus on what the demons can offer humanity ā€“ freedom, forbidden knowledge, material comforts, or power. But itā€™s really more about holding up a mirror to the human soul.

I donā€™t think most people care about Diabloā€™s story per se, but more about the atmosphere and presentation, the gravitas of the narration (how about those D1 tomes), and fun gothic prose.

1 Like

Update: for what we can see at the moment, my doubts vanished completely. Very, VERY happy about the general mood D4 is taking. From the art style to the in-game palette, through the lightining effects: COMPLETELY love it!
Regarding the story I can bet they fully understood what we meant and what we would like to see; not every time victory is grantedā€¦Luis Barriga said it himself during the unveil panelā€¦so I bet we will not see the ā€œinvincible Nephilimā€ theme anymore. Guys Iā€™m very hopefull and cant wait to play it

\m/

It looks like Diablo is back to itā€™s roots
but blizzard needs to make open world work as endgameā€¦ no more spamming rifts in town, the whole world should be part of the endgameā€¦ going off into the wilderness to run through a dungeon, world bosses to encounter, raids should be the toughest challenge, they could make like 5 raids, 1 in each region, but instead of just spamming raids, they should have a cooldownā€¦ doing each raid but only once per week would give us an endgame thatā€™s fun and rewardingā€¦ think about it guysā€¦ spending countless hours to get godly gear to survive the hardest challenges (the raids)ā€¦ then forming a party of 8 players working together like in the D2 days, is your team balanced? ready to attempt? then spending 2 hours going through an insane dungeon with 15 levels down into the earthā€¦ finding Lilith in the bottom of the dungeon, 8 players all working together to take her down like oldschool D2ā€¦ she goes down and you find a shakoā€¦ awesome raidā€¦ but now you have to wait for next week to do againā€¦ what do you do? go do other dungeons, go trade your shako for a soj, go explore the open world, go duel or pk, prepare for next raidā€¦

World bosses already requires multiplayer, no need to add raid into the mix as endgame. Keep endgame available for both solo players and multiplayers.

Raid could be completed Solo tooā€¦ and it would actually be more of a challenge because it would just be you by yourself, exploring a dungeon and going down 15 levels in oldschool diablo style would be awesome for solo playersā€¦
then fighting Lilith at the bottomā€¦ it could work broā€¦ it should be do-ableā€¦ however it should take longer to give us that feeling of hopelessness and adventureā€¦

and just like in D2 it could be balanced by this one easy solutionā€¦
the more people in your partyā€¦ the tougher the raid enemies and boss will beā€¦

someone joined your party: the minions of hell grow stronger

thats what D2 didā€¦

solo raid would work
party raid would work
letā€™s raid

Alright, youā€™re not talking about raids in the sense of mmos whereas youā€™re required to party up with at least 5+ people in order to clear. Youā€™re talking about boss fights thatā€™ll allow 5+ people to participate, but itā€™s not required to party up. If so then Iā€™m not opposed to the idea.

exactly bro, raids but in the Diablo styleā€¦

DEEP DEEP dungeonā€¦ that would take us hours to completeā€¦
no running super fast to the end like riftsā€¦
remember playing D2 and going through the Catacombs to get to Andariel?
that was only 4 levels down to find the bossā€¦
and on new low characters it could take like 20 minutes to find itā€¦

but imagine having to go down 20 levels through a random mazeā€¦
it could take hours of Diablo fun gameplay to get there, maybe you find the stairs down fast? maybe you have to explore the entire level map to find the stairs down?

know what I mean bro?

I have seen players 60+ :slight_smile:
My main concern with the story, world & design is only about the genders, i.e.: the Sorceress class is supose to an all female clan just like the Amazon & Rogues. So if a male version in implanted, it should be a Visjerai. After all the Visjerai is the most most powerful elemental magic user clan.
As for the story, I trust that it will be less about overpowered beings (angels, demons, naphelem) and more about the world.

From what I have seen, D4 looks more like a Diablo versoin 3.0 than D3. I think that D4 will be a good mix of D1, D2 & D3, the team looks solid and the directors might just do a wonderful job this time :wink:

Quite a bit of optimism. Seems like the right track, but I caution against throwing all concern out the window.

1 Like

Judging based off the art work, the paintings they have shown the overall tone feela like such dread, a ravaged natiom teatering on the brink of utter devastation.
I cant wait to play

1 Like