OSX Monterey 12.1 crashing

Hello;

Apple just pushed an update to 12.1 Monterey, and ever since it updated overnight, I have random, complete crashes of D3. It beings me back to the Battle.net landing page, and no error is reported.

Glad to offer any additional information you need.

Thanks!

-D

Hey there,

We haven’t been seeing any other reports of this so it is likely that whatever is causing the game client to crash on you is local to the specific system.

Let’s try cleaning up the game client and see if that solves the problem.

Let’s reset the in game user options:

1. Click the blue bnet icon on the bnet app.
  2. Choose settings, then game settings.
  3. Click the reset in game user options button under the correct game listing.
  4. Confirm the changes and close the window.

We will want to run the repair tool on the game client: Repairing Battle.net Games - Blizzard Support

While I typically save this step as a sort of last resort due to the size of the game client, it does often solve issues like this where other steps sometimes fail.

1. Click Options (gear symbol next to the install/update/play button)
  2. Click Show in Explorer. (leave this window open while you perform step three.)
  3. Go back to Options and select Uninstall and go through the process to remove the core files and association to the desktop application. (Skip to step for if unable to perform this uninstall)
  4. Check the opened file explorer window to see if the game folder was deleted when the game was uninstalled. If it was not, delete the folder manually.
  5. Go back to the Blizzard App and reinstall the game client through the Blizzard App.

If the issue persists after a clean reinstall then let’s put in a ticket to our tech support agents with some system data to help us dig into this further.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/contact/279/ticket

1 Like

Thank you Kershaw for giving me such prompt help - on a Saturday!

I’ve run through all of the steps, and will give D3 a whirl shorty - I will report back for sure.

Update

I did have one crash not long after restarting the game, but dropped a few settings down, and haven’t seen a crash since. Not ideal, but better than crashing! If I have another crash, I will open a help ticket.

Update - Part 2

I did have another D3 crash after running through the steps you suggested, and dropping a few settings down.

Turns out that my subscription to Norton 360 looks to be the culprit. There were times I was consistently losing internet or network connection, and those started right after Norton came online. Removed it and haven’t had a network drop or a D3 crash since.

Thanks again!

-D

Fair warning to Norton users - there is now a crypto mining module embedded into the suite. It’s supposed to not activate without asking first, but it seems that isn’t the case for some users. If you have Norton (any of their software) installed, get rid of it ASAP. Switch to something like ClamXAV or BitDefender. Basically anything other than Norton, especially since even without the crypto package it impacts system performance more than any other AV program out there.

1 Like

I recently installed Monterey on my iMac and following that experienced terrible lag at the character screen and while in-game, rendering the experience unplayable. The suggestion to reset the User Options through the Battle net app resolved my issue. Thank you!

1 Like