Old Naming Conventions

Was just wondering if anybody knows whether the old naming conventions will remain? I.E. anything goes.

I loved the fact that you could call your character whatever the heck you wanted in d2. I certainly had some questionable names. It was all in good fun.

I get there’s probably some things that arguably shouldn’t remain.

But for the rest, this is a game for adults and we’re not babies who need to live in a sanitised world.

What are other peoples’ opinions on this?

nope… Blizzard is very restrictive and easily offended

So no you wont be able to call your characters with prohibited terms that you cant use here or on battlenet

just look at my name, created 12 years ago and already couldnt use a certain word, imagine 12 years later with all the woke and easily offended meta

1 Like

Nope.

Blizzard games are rated by the ESRB - but that covers the content made by the Developers that is available for review.

Player made content (chat and names) is governed by a separate Code of Conduct that is rather family friendly. That same policy covers the forums.

Here is the section on communications and naming

Blizzard games offer a fun and safe place to interact with one another across various game worlds. We encourage our players to cooperate and compete in our games, but crossing the line into abuse is never acceptable. If you come across a player violating the policies below, you should report them.

Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

The Forum Code of Conduct breaks out some of the specific things the mods action for in chat or names Forum Code of Conduct - Blizzard Support

And of course the EULA covers all of the games and forums. It has the details on ownership (Blizz owns the bnet account, characters, game code, items, sound files, graphics, etc etc.) cheating, and more.

1 Like

Hey thanks for your response, it’s very informative. I guess this also applies to D2 but it’s not being enforced. I wonder if they will bake it into the code for D2R? There’s usually easy workarounds for these things. So it’s not that useful given the total lack of customer service staff they have.

No, it was not enforced at all in D2 (2000) that I know of. It is enforced in the modern Blizz games, which now includes D2R.

Primitive filters, yes. BUT those really are primitive. Players are a lot more creative in ways to get around rules so if someone gets their name reported the mods can certainly act on it anyway. They don’t sit around in chat though looking for people to action. It has to be reported.

They do have a decent sized team who mostly work out of the Austin, TX office. The issue is they handle reports and tickets for ALL Blizzard games so they are rather busy.

Forum moderation team is also there, but is separate from the GMs/Billing folks.

The Hacks team is separate from both the GM/Billing folks and the Forum Mods as well.

So enforcement of rules is spread between 3 teams depending on what it is.

I don’t know yet if we will have the right click report function in D2R or not. Modern Blizz games do.

1 Like

I won’t report a single in game name - just want to make that clear. It should be up to Blizzard itself to enforce its own rules and regulations, not rely on the very persons paying for the game to police it for them.

i just want them to return the one name = one person instead of multiple people able to share same name

2 Likes

This is at least one thing we can definitely agree on.

1 Like

The new naming system is overly restrictive. I use to have a character back in the day named, “RussianSnowTank”. She was a frozen orb energy shield character, very tanky. I wanted to use the same name on d2r during beta but it blocked the use of the word “russian” From all naming conventions. What the heck is wrong with using “russian” in your name?

1 Like

While your specific name was not insulting, others don’t always use it that way. This part of the Forum Code of Conduct might give some insight into it. They likely removed the ability to do national names as a whole.

National

This category includes language and/or links to websites containing such language or images which:

• Promote national hatred
  • Are recognized as national slurs
  • Allude to symbols of national hatred

The stuff in the Forum Code of Conduct applies to player generated content in games too, for the most part. It has a level of detail there that everyone should read. IF you get reported, that is the kind of stuff the Mods consider when evaluating the report.

1 Like

They allowed me to use “america” though. I tried several other countries cus I was curious and some it allowed and some it did not.

Interesting. Wonder why it is hit or miss on the names.

Beta was weird, it could have been a beta only thing. There were a bunch of random letter names I tried to create while testing things that weren’t allowed. We’re not talking offensive things here, names like this

hfdhfdshb
etgfdbvdgbd
jytjtyjgd

I heard similar reports from other players in the beta.
I’d guess names with “Russia” in them will be allowed for the release, but that is just a guess. Beta naming was super weird and buggy, with names disappearing and showing names that were not our names.

I think the beta switched my name to things like “billybob” “frankish” and stuff around 5-10 times. It was super weird and I still have no idea why.

Thanks again for your input. Really appreciate the time you took to explain it properly.

Likely some anti-bot measures… These are the names the mass botters and drop bot users would use.

They race swapped the classes, Censored nudity and made the amazon more masculine than the barb for inclusive and progressive reasons. You really think you can name your character offensive things in this game? :joy:

I think anybody with any sense of decency knows now, and knew back then, that some stuff wasn’t okay. They did it because they could get away with it. I remember games named “No _____ allowed.” And anybody that played D2 knows what I mean. Some stuff just shouldn’t be allowed.

1 Like

I honestly like the chars after seeing them in the realistic environment.

What do you think of the side by side wallpapers?

To me the chars look way more realistic, and as good, if not better in some cases. I had no idea the original wallpapers were so…odd. The graphics have come a long way.

PS. Wowhead is wrong about Adam Fletcher’s (PezRadar) title. He is Community Lead. Not sure why Wowhead got that wrong.

1 Like

I for one love the characters, it’s great to switch between legacy graphics and the new graphics and see the scale of the improvements in character textures.

1 Like

they actually look completely fine. Great even. Same with when you’re actually playing the game. The only problem is when you pick a character and then when you are on your character selection screen. Their faces are enlarged and on my 65" TV a couple of their faces were straight horrifying. And not in the good way. :joy: