Official Response to TurboHud

In November last year, Game Producer Matthew said, regarding THUD, that “We’ll have more to say on this in the very near future”:

Did we ever get a follow up on this?

4 Likes

I bet something is coming… Soon ™

4 Likes

Lastly, this is a good time to remind the community of a few things:

Third party addons of any kind are strictly prohibited. While any kind of botting software falls clearly under violation of our Terms of Service, for Diablo III, this also includes any kind of overlay software, map hacks, or any other addons or alterations to the client. Addons are not supported for Diablo III and use of them may result in account warnings or permanent account closure.
We are committed to continuing to support Diablo III, including taking action against botting and cheating. Please keep in mind that we do routine actions to keep Sanctuary fair for everyone, and we will not regularly provide public notice of mass account actions.

So yes, there was a recent official stance made. While they didn’t name anything in that post, TurboHud is an overlay with a map hack. And was named below:

That was provided by one of the game producers. Note the words “In its current state”. This is referring to the fact that it provides advance knowledge of pylons, elite packs, etc, and shows approximately twice as much of the map ahead of you than the in-game map does.

2 Likes

I’m still confused. So are we allowed to or not allowed to use THUD? There’s a few zbarbs that i know that uses THUD to match their stuns with Sader’s holy cycle from CoE to maximize damage. It’s being used… Are players who are currently using it just suddenly going to get banned one day when blizzard decides to do something about it? Or would blizz implement a program that stops THUD completely and players who had been using it wont get banned and would be able to continue to play on that account?

Unless you guys are willing to let Blizzard install invasive anti-cheat programs onto your computer, third party apps are going to be everywhere for people who want to use.

It is very simple: the use of THUD is and has always been prohibited. The problem is how to detect whether a player is using it or not. I’m not a software engineer or anything else similar who properly understands the workings underneath the code but I think there’s fundamental difference between detecting for example botters and THUD users. Because this difference and in addition how much access due to security reasons Blizzard can get on one’s computer, detecting and consequently punishing THUD users is very difficult.

THUD is a cheat software, plain and simple. There’s absolutely zero excuses for one to use it. Sadly people use it due to its usage being virtually undetectable without violating user privacy.

2 Likes

They will ban Turbohuders and botters once quantum computers are released.

4 Likes

The game is infested with THUD users, I’m not one, those software users should be banned but it did not happen for 8 years and I dont see it happening now.

THUD and bots are like a disease that game decided for us to adapt and live with instead of curing.

5 Likes

Without kernel level anti-cheat programs that can detect this kind of stuff, it’s pretty much a lost cause. Not that I’m a hacker or anything, but I know it’s pretty hard to play zBarb in a 150 grift without having THUD installed. From what I hear from other friends, is that it’s too much work not having it. I’m a 99% solo player, so it really doesn’t apply to me.

THUD shouldn’t be cheating, the Diablo 3 UI needs to be better. It’s not like running RADAR in the Dark Age of Camelot days. It’s just getting basic game information to you.

2 Likes

lol that is called challenge.

As far as I know Blizzard never cared about cheating in D3, what little they have done is to please the forum and nothing else. I know botters from many seasons back and have reported them, but they are still playing with the same account to this day. So for your own well being take a hint and stop caring about Blizzard policies, don’t let people who only care about money determine your feelings, that will grant them direct power over your mind.

3 Likes

“TurboHud is seen as a program that should not be used in the game in its current state.”
The fact that a CM said this I guess its safer to just not try and use it. It seems that their anti-cheat program cant detect it, just cause it can’t be detected doesnt mean its allowed is what im understanding here. Don’t want to suddenly log in one day and a message says im banned lol…

1 Like

An easy fix would be to sync everyone who has a convention of elements to be on the same timer.

1 Like

No need to breach anyones security to see streamers and youtubers using THUD, bad excuse. They don’t give a f, period.

When streamers are blatantly using THUD and there’s no response from Blizzard, well them you should have a free reign to berate Blizzard for its lack of action.

That being said streamers are a microscopic fraction of the playerbase. It’s easy to find guilty streamers, it’s a whole another matter finding guilty average joe gamer.

2 Likes

I see your point but they have got to start somewhere, that is if they cared.

They got rid of Gabynator in stream lol.

5 Likes

Just thinking about it a little more. Why not have a version of the Diablo 3 client that includes anti-cheat software? Have people who use it classified as “Verified Users”? Then have the ladder rankings open to Verified Users only? Then no cheaters would be posted on the ladder rankings.

2 Likes

I just dont understand … they tend to ban players on more effective and effiecnet way in overwatch for violating TOS. Why it does not happen here ?

We can tell on who bots sometimes just by monitoring leaderboard and see who have been spending +22 hours playing time everyday in 3 month none stop which indicates a none humanly possible behavior.

Seems cheating software users grow to form a huge part of our community that if they did ban them all, it would affect on players base total numbers and the legit players seems way less in comparison.

After 8 years if they really wanted to find a solution to cheating it would have been applied long ago…

I doubt a fix or change gonna be happening in game to cheating software users.

We just have to adapt on their existance and live with it…

3 Likes

If they ever get around to enforcing their stance on 3rd party software like THUD, there for sure will be action all at once with one big ban hammer.

They could just block the software or do temporary bans, or permanent bans. I get the feeling if they are going to put the effort into stopping, they are going to come down hard and perma-ban the offenders as they should do. Cheatin’ is cheatin’. Players know the risks when they decide to cheat, so they need to live with the consequences of their actions.

It all comes down to $$$$. They make a lot of $$$$$$$$$$ off OverWatch, so they care. They make a little of $$$$ off of Diablo 3, so they don’t care. If D4 turns out to be a constant cash cow, they definitely will put $$$$ into policing it, otherwise, D4 will be as bot infested as D2 and D3 are.

4 Likes

You can bet on that. Unfortunately, there are many in the gaming community that will do damn near ANYTHING to get to the top of a ladder, get the best pieces first, get the highest level first, get the whatever it is first. And they will use ANY means to get there.

Of course there will be rampant cheating.

I for one don’t use any cheats. But that’s me. Back when THUD first came out, I tried it for a day to see what the fuss was about. Then uninstalled it. I like some of the features, but not risking my account for it, its not that important to me.

Others here however are very willing to risk it, because of some of the UI enhancements. But the maphacker in it is the trouble maker. If it weren’t for that one aspect, I doubt Blizzard would even bother. Of course it looks like they barely bother with it now. But right now its your risk. So…

Game on.

1 Like