Now they are being sued by California

That is both a good and a bad stance to take.

If you withhold judgement until something it proven true, then you avoid hanging the innocent man and letting the guilty run free.

There is also the problem we are staring at now. IS there a way to prove one way or another who is telling the truth. Social issue lawsuits are always messy. Is someone just trying to make money or did the problem always exist? Will making a judgement now to save someone from being sentenced to death?

Law is supposed to be absolute, but is almost always messy.

Oh, and that comment about being sentenced to death for whistleblower, it has happened.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/03/09/dr-congo-quash-whistleblowers-death-sentences

Physically, yeah. I get to make some comments now to get funny looks on people’s faces, like when I say I now know what radiation smells like.

Work wise, the economy just is not in a good place to start from scratch when you are older. Too many younger people are job hunting.

Hi …

I belive that acusations of sexual abuses, and a bad cultura in a big Company is a serious thing, the state of CA, investigate blizzard for 2 years.
From what i understand, theres something going to happened.

We wait.

In the case of the Blizzard lawsuit it is the State of CA suing ATVI/Blizz/Activision so it is not a suit for personal monetary gain.

The workplace salary discrepancies and stuff should be easy enough to prove if the State has the pay records, job position descriptions, etc.

The sexual harassment issues will be harder to prove, but seeing as this is a civil case, not criminal, all they have to do is prove there was enough evidence of a workplace environment that looked the other way. They don’t have to prove allegations against individuals for the State to make their point.

Huh, I would think right now with how badly employers are hurting for staff, and with the work from home freedom, you would find it easier. I suppose it depends on where you live of course!

Good luck with the job hunt.

1 Like

I will admit, my comment there is based on something new. Specifically about whistleblowers.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/239196/actiblizz-cco-blocking-staff-on-twitter

I am hoping an action like this comes back to bite them. It should not be taken as admission of guilt, but it reinforces the feeling that they are trying to hide something.

This is actually something I even more wonder what is going to happen. It almost sounds like there is enough proof against Afrasiabi for criminal charges. I am not a lawyer, but that what it sounds like to me. If it is not just him, what could it do to the leadership?

That is pure speculation right now though.

All jobs in Minneapolis, MN that I am finding are medical, CS, and driving. The med jobs require a lot of education. The CS and driving jobs are where the aftermath is having its worst effect. I did a lot of both before and was considered very good at them.

I will not get in the driving part, just that I have to turn in DMV paperwork every year saying my doctors think it is still safe for me to drive.

The CS part is because I will randomly forget how to say a word or have random trash when I type. It is why my posts get weird wording sometimes.

I go looking for any other jobs that come up. There comes a point where you just need to start from scratch and build from there.

2 Likes

I would say the republican party up until Teddy Roosevelt were pretty left and pretty progressive at the time. After Teddy the basically became a s#!t show for the rich only.

1 Like

Okay, no problem. Lets use the 94%. It will not change anything in this discussion because the ACA failures are not in the missing 6% but in the fundamentals. The next part will be delivered tomorrow.

The echo chamber is loud again.

There is a grain of truth to Critical Race Theory but it has a far wider application than just race.

It even applies to the alleged harassment at Blizzard.

My point is all the posting of links and demanding or proof is just as futile and stupid as two boys arguing over who’s father can beat up whose in a school yard. Or whatever analog there is for little girls. Yet we seem to love it so.

I used to sleep at the foot of Old Glory
And awake in the dawn’s early light
But much to my surprise
When I opened my eyes
I was a victim of the great compromise

The ACA was Frankenstein’s monster that died on the table. It was a victim of a great many compromises.

1 Like

Kinda agreed. But despite how flawed it ended up being, it was still so much better than what came before, as others have exemplified above. Sometimes baby steps will have to do, even if it involves a lot of stumbles and crying.
Hopefully the next attempt will be much better too. And the one after that.

1 Like

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andymeek/2021/02/20/fewer-americans-than-ever-before-trust-the-mainstream-media/

For the first time, Edelman’s annual trust barometer, which it shared with Axios, revealed that fewer than half of all Americans acknowledge any kind of trust in the mainstream media. Fifty-six percent of Americans, for example, said they agreed with the following statement: “Journalists and reporters are purposely trying to mislead people by saying things they know are false or gross exaggerations.”

The results go on to show that 59% of Americans said they agree with this statement: That “most news organizations are more concerned with supporting an ideology or political position than with informing the public.” And 61% of Americans think that “The media is not doing well at being objective and non-partisan.”

2 Likes

Might I suggest a refresher course? :wink:

I’ve always known something was wrong with Activision blizzard. Me being suspended and banned constantly and I used to be the best player in the game too.

I would get bullied and end up being the one punished. Activision blizzard is toxic there’s nothing else to say. I quit wow and Diablo a long time ago, but now I’ve deleted Call of Duty from my Xbox as well.

Boycott Activision Blizzard.

1 Like

Nothing MissCheetah wrote was wrong, so why all the acting as if it was?

My partner is an American citizen, and we were due to visit her family before Covid broke out (I’m Australian).

Two things my friends and I always marvel at, and not in a good way, are the US Health System and the barely democratic US electoral system.

In fact, prior to each of our visits I have insisted that we have full traveler’s health insurance, including evacuation back to Australia. No way in hell I’d trust myself or my family to the tender bankrupting mercies of the US health system.

Indeed, it’s one of the main reasons my partner left the US - she couldn’t stomach the US health system any longer.

And as to the electoral system, well, wow, we complain if it takes us more than 10 minutes standing in line to vote, and need do nothing more than provide our names and addresses to do it, with a total electoral fraud in each federal election you could count on two hands.

4 Likes

So don’t support the brand ever again, including the projects these women worked on and were/are passionate about, for what? I mean, I get why but at the same time this accomplishes nothing productive pertaining to the real issues.

Exactly. I’ll continue to play Blizzard games if they interest me while donating to charities like Girls Who Code, ValorUS, or CATW. If a complete boycott of these products across the industry happens, I’m sure we would all fee great when all the hard working individuals who were victims of the abuse were all fired.

I know it’s an extreme example and boycotting just won’t happen in the gaming world, but all it would do his harm more victims and innocent people. Donate and be vocal about how the people who caused the abuse, covered it up, and allowed it to continue should be fired.

1 Like

continued

It is nice to see a civil discussion, sparked by the question “name one Democrat policy dated 1980+ that is helpful to women and minorities” and the proposed answer “ACA.” One of the reasons for this question is that if you analyze deep enough, there doesn’t seem to be any. Or maybe it just needs to be found. Will see.

The answers range from "it is helpful because of “free” checkups and “free” birth control to “it was dead on arrival because of GOP.” Just to make it clear, the question asked about results (sot hat the Democrat voters can brag about) rather than excuses.

One good thing that was put in the ACA was the requirement to no longer refuse coverage for preexisting conditions. This could be easily and painlessly achieved by adding a single line of text to the conditions for licensing insurers that sell plans in effect in the US.

It was nice to see folks on this board, talk how the ACA personally helped them tremendously. This is all nice and good on individual level, in vacuum. The question remains, is ACA helpful, harmful, or neutral for 300+ million Americans, or if we focus just on women and minorities, some 200+ million Americans.

Just to make it clear, in politics, almost always (if not always) there are no solutions. There are trade-offs because the population’s resources are limited and have alternative uses. By allocating resources in one direction, you remove them from another, with all consequences that follow. The effect of a policy extends beyond it’s narrow field, just like ACA’s effect extends beyond healthcare.

First, one of the provision was to mandate employers above certain size to offer health insurance to employees who worked more than X number of hours per week. Sounds nice on Level 1, but if you think on Level 2 and beyond, what do you see? A percentage of these jobs were not longer viable at the new price levels (new level = old level plus 12-15K for the health plan). As a result, people were let go, and in a 300+ million poeple country, that made a lot of people join the horde of the unemployed. I bet each of us knows at least a few who lost jobs after ACA took effect. Who held these jobs? I’m glad you asked. These jobs were mostly service and retail, with retail being the second largest employer for BW surpassed only by the government. The long-term poor make an excellent source of reliable voters. Note that were are talking about millions of people.

Second, the same above policy that made labor costs at the lower levels go up by some 25%, provoked another way of adaptation. Even fewer employed workers had to take on more and more duties, resulting in even greater burden and stress on those left employed. Do you know somebody who complains how they have to taken on the duties of so and so because the job spot is not filled? Congratulations, you have two jobs not, but you get paid for one. In short, salaries per unit labor went down.

Third, ACA came with additional compliance costs and paperwork (time, labor, money) to those supplying medical services. As a result, numerous smaller practices went out of business with doctors “throwing in the towel” and retiring early. You may not care for rich entitled doctors until you realize that these doctors hired and provided employment for nurses, technicians, secretaries, maintenance people, and everyone involved in the property management. This doesn’t even account for the business no longer provided to billing service providers, accountants, and pharmacists. On top of that, the area there the medical practice closed is not underserved by the amount of care that practice used to provide.

In case we forget, “health coverage” does not mean health care. If there is nobody around you who take new patients, good luck finding a non-emergent care.

Fourth, ACA is a tax, added on top of all prior taxes. Despite what you think about how much in taxes others must pay, lets focus on one tiny aspect among the many. Upward mobility. Example of astounding success are memorable and make good stories. However, for the vast majority of those who make it the reality is getting rich in the long and boring way, over decades by living way below one’s means and by taking risks for with one hopes to be compensated in the case of success.

ACA’s new taxes hit the hardest the regions of the upper middle class, creating what I used to call “the no man’s economic zone” because the burden made it very hard for the “newly washed masses” of hard working hard sacrificing young professionals to break into the next level and get too close to the donor class even after years of soul crushing grind, risk taking, and delayed gratification. What was the background of these newly washed masses? I’m glad you asked. It was a group from all backgrounds, each hoping to make a success story.

Fifth: some medical practices opted entirely from dealing with insurance. You pay cash and the doctor can give you a form for you to deal with reimbursement. This is a new cost added to the patient pool, cost of time, labor, or having to hire others to represent you before the insurer, assuming that the claim will get paid and some don’t.

Let’s see what we have so far: less care due to fewer available providers, more costs (shifted of course, so some can’t see them), many jobs lost, and many people on one salary with a double job. And less upward mobility than before. Self reliant hard working people would have chosen otherwise. Verdict: ACA is harmful.

As a parting note, I see sometimes people refer to the “free birth control” offered under ACA. Maybe the cost of this “free birth control” is higher than what we think. I wander if the correct question to ask is “what did I do, in the Land of Unlimited Opportunity, that I have to rely on the government to pay for my birth control?”

Peace.

Check this out folks!

Daaamn.
That is huge. Probably a good move.

Jen Oneal is from Vicarious Visions? Heh, that is quite the speed promotion after barely entering the door at Blizzard.
Mike Ybarra only joined in 2019, from Microsoft.
Safe to say that “Old Blizzard” ™ is officially dead with that new leadership? Which again, now that we know what old Blizzard stood for, might be the best thing ever.

Now it will be interesting to see if a bunch of stories about a bad culture at VV starts to emerge.

Can I just start out with saying that it is quite funny to read your post about ACA, with the above quote in mind.

Yeah, I dont think anecdotes of “I bet each of us know at least a few who lost jobs” are going to be enough to support such a claim.

It can always be a bit difficult to conclude much from job numbers, but I think you will have an extremely hard time finding evidence for millions of people losing their jobs (and not finding new jobs) due to ACA.

This is sadly very true. Fueling some of what happened in US later on.

Same here.
Though if any significant amount of people starting doing two jobs for one wage, some might argue that it would be a tremendous boon to the economy (I would not be one of them).

I think we need the numbers again. Not only on practices closing, but whether new ones replaced them.
And maybe some numbers on how many patients per doctor, plus how many citizens are underserved by nearby practices. After all, in a bloated health care system like the US, you might see too many practices for what could be considered economically efficient. Practices closing (if true) is not necessarily a bad thing.

Sorry, but if you are trying to argue that high taxes makes it harder to create upward mobility you are simply wrong. Considering countries with much, much higher taxes than the US, have higher upward mobility.
Heck, the data might even support that higher taxes supports more upward mobility. Which would of course also be fairly logical.
https://assets.weforum.org/editor/responsive_large_webp_sAR3797kGaryVdJ0UXC6L2XfrrjfnWK0vIRiYzOQfyM.webp (World Economic Forum)

Not to forget the more important point here; yeah, you need higher taxes to support a healthcare system where patients do not have to pay as much out of their own pocket.
But when you add those taxes you are paying less directly. Let us not forget that the US have an insanely expensive health care system compared to other countries. If you got a decent healthcare system the middle class you talk about would not have to pay more. They would have to pay less. More in taxes of course, but less/nothing in insurances, direct healthcare payments etc. And sure, ACA is not that system. The only positive thing one can really say about ACA is that it is better than what came before.

I can only assume we are no longer talking about the US? :thinking:

Anecdotes and things that did not happen are not particularly strong negative aspects. And you are ignoring the positive aspects in your conclusion.
Seems safe to say that ACA was still hugely beneficial to women and minorities (as well as most other people) after subtracting the negatives you have claimed to believe in.

1/1 for Democrats so far I guess. And it is 1 out of a bunch of policies that has been mentioned so far. Where, let’s be real, a lot more policies could be mentioned if we kept going.
Not meant as a defense of the Democrats btw, as they are an epic failure in my opinion. And the ACA was an epic failure. Merely better than nothing.

1 Like

ATVI taking another dive today. -5% so far. Although it doesn’t seem related to the ongoing scandal.
It relates to what I mentioned earlier though. TakeTwo released their Q1 results. They were fine, but lower expectations for the future. Stock is going dooown, taking others with it. Seems likely Activision Blizzard will present similar results today.

Of course, nothing is ever certain. After Take-Two’s disappointment, if ATVI merely manages to not disappoint as much, some might consider it positive, and send their stock up again.