Normal rift thinks its a Greater Rift

I did not see this posted, so if it has already been addressed, please forgive me… This has happened a couple times, so I felt it worthy of a mention. While farming Greater Rifts to level gems I ran out of GR stones, so I had to run normal rifts to replenish them. During the normal rift run I died and noticed a +25 timer on the resurrect button and thought it was odd, but just kept going. My rift bar was ¾ of the way done in the initial level and there was only a pillar to return to town and no next level. I had killed every mob in the rift and could not advance to another level, so I was forced to end the game and start a new one.

Both times this has happened, it is when I immediately start a normal rift after completing a series of greater rifts and the first clue is the appearance of the timer on the resurrect button.

How many times did you die? The first time, there is no delay. But, each time you die after that, you have to wait longer to resurrect. If you die too many times you eventually cannot resurrect at your corpse and have to choose the last Checkpoint or Town. It’s during those times you’ll see the timer. When it expires, you can resurrect. It’s always been that way, if I remember correctly.

You must not have killed all the monsters on the previous Levels. Many players skip the trash mobs and target only the Elites. Rifts and Greater Rifts do not have infinite Levels. Also, not too long ago, Blizzard changed Rifts and GRifts so trash mobs gave higher progression than previously. It’s okay to skip stragglers. But, if you skip too many large groups of trash, you may not spawn the Guardian before you reach the end of the Rift or GRift.

Since this was a Nephalem Rift, you don’t have to worry about the time expiring. Next time, return to previous Levels and kill the monsters you skipped.

@Perusoe… you need to die more often in GRifts to experience these quirks :slight_smile:

@AngryBurrito : This can happen also outside nephalem rifts… here’s a picture while I was doing a bounty on 23 July 2018. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen that (I guess I need to die more often in GRifts also :slight_smile: )…

As you can see on the screenshot, I died while doing the “Kill Urzael” bounty and the “Resurrect near body” button has a timer on it… the timer is just text, it’s not actually counting down.

I thought this had been fixed… but perhaps not since AngryBurrito is describing exactly what I saw back then.

I’ll run some tests when I’m back… RL just took over :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ok - did some testing… got the bug 3 times out of 3… so, it looks like it should be fairly easy to replicate.

This is what I did:

1. Start Greater Rift; when you meet some monsters, do nothing and wait for them to kill you. Once you have died, click the “Resurrect at corpse” and wait for monsters to kill you again.
  2. Once you have died a 2nd time, click the “Resurrect at corpse” button without waiting for countdown… and wait for monsters to kill you a third time.
  3. Once you have died a 3rd time, click the “Resurrect at corpse” button without waiting for countdown… complete the Greater Rift, talk to Urshi, level up gems, talk to Orek to close the Greater Rift.
  4. Start a Nephalem rift, when you meet some monsters, do nothing and wait for them to kill you. This is what I got (note the +9 on the Resurrect at corpse button):

5. TP to town, start a bounty (any bounty). When you meet some monsters, do nothing and wait for them to kill you. This is what I got (again, note the +9 on the Resurrect at corpse button):

6. TP to town, repair equipment, rinse & repeat.

I did that for both season and non-season… got the bug every single time… should be fairly easy to reproduce.

4 Likes

just came to post that this has happened to me twice this season

Exactly. I appreciate that you actually read my post :slight_smile:

It really is not a huge issue, i just thought it was odd that it was presenting me with a timer on a normal rift. In addition, that i only had one level and could not complete it. It has only happened 3 times for me, but now because of your post, i know how it happens.

Thanks
AB

1 Like