No macOS support?

A bit bummed this won’t be on macOS. I love playing WoW and D3 on the new Apple Silicon machines and have been waiting on an official way to play D2 again. Would love to play on my D2 on my mac just like when I originally played :frowning:

49 Likes

I’m very curious about this too! It appears, upcoming Apple silicon (M1X / M2 or whatever it will be called) could become quite powerful gaming laptops. Isn’t Switch going to be supported, which is ARM architecture too? Does anybody have a better understanding on the rational behind not supporting D2R while supporting Switch. Also considering that WoW and D3 is supported too?

7 Likes

I wonder if it has to do with D2’s 32-bit code. They never updated the original when Catalina dropped 32-bit support, so maybe that’s a restriction of some sort. I do agree that even the cheapest macs going forward with the M1 chips will be plenty powerful enough to run any Blizzard game.

4 Likes

I am not a Mac expert so can only point to the current pattern of Mac Support that Blizzard has been providing.

• OW never had Mac Support
  • They removed D2 Mac Support specifically in a post a few weeks ago
  • All other Blizzard games have Mac removed from the System Requirements except Hearthstone.
  • The System Requirements for D2R have been published in the pre-order stage which is usually pretty far along in the decision making.

That leads me to suspect Mac is not likely. That COULD change of course down the road. Just don’t pre-order assuming it will exist.

4 Likes

There are some folks that want Linux support too.

5 Likes

There certainly are some who want Linux. There always have been. So far, Blizzard has decided not to support Linux officially.

They are fine with people playing the games on Linux but they won’t specifically make games for it, and won’t help folks get it working if they opt to use Linux.

1 Like

That’s why you wanna use Crossover and or wine. Dx -> Vulkan -> Metal layer.

Thou if blizzard/activision wanted to they could actually buy porting service directly from Codeweavers (or another linux porting provider) tbh.

3 Likes

I just bought this game and then I realized it doesn’t support mac. I thought it will support mac because all of the Diablo games before support mac. I won’t even buy this game if I have noticed it doesn’t support mac.

12 Likes

I got the new Macbook Air with the M1 chip and it runs WoW so smooth on battery, I couldn’t believe it in the beginning.
They ported WoW natively, maybe only because there are many Apple WoW players BUT maybe because they wanted to know how much work it is for future products.
Hoping for a M1 Diablo 2 Resurrected announcement on an Apple Keynote or something like that. : )

12 Likes

This would be great yes.

Could this be looked into? D2R support on MacOS? It doesn’t need to be Apple silicon (ARM) specific, since Rosetta 2 does the translation anyways, but WoW is having it it seems.

I have a gaming PC on Windows, but I travel around a lot for work and prefer working on a Macbook. Diablo 2 R is the ultimate game on the go as well.

And yeah, Macs aren’t for gaming meme… Diablo 2 R could perfectly run on an M1 MacBook Air with no hiccups.