No blood in the game?

It looks like there is no blood when you hitting or killing the monsters.

Given the open wounds affix I assume this will be fixed at later stage.

If not…

9 Likes

Out of curiosity which graphics footage you are basing that off of? I went through the before/after sliders on the D2R site and there is still some blood around - but it seems undead skeletons might not bleed?

6 Likes

Without the footage or screenshots it’s nearly impossible to tell, but what it sounds like is something that is working as intended.

In LoD I believe there is a limit to how many bodies or blood pools that are on the ground at one time. If more than a certain number are produced then the old ones disappear. Because of this if you have something with Open Wounds then you will notice blood pools disappear as it comes out of the boss. Then again it might be something else, hard to tell.

5:02 onwards, there is more examples. I went through entire video and it is on some monsters, it appears to be either poorly visible or inconsistent.

6 Likes

Looking specifically from 5:02-5:41; I went back into the LoD Bnet to test it out and all of the death and blood spray animations are the same as in the video, I even checked other sections of the video and found the same.

From what you’re saying and what I see in comparing the two, its the difference in modern graphics. Most notably ground clutter, the blood is only painting the ground and not the clutter on top of it. If the graphics settings are comparable to Diablo 3, then you will be able to turn it off completely.

After re-watching some of the footage, it isn’t so much that pools of blood are missing. It’s that the pools of blood that do form tend to look black rather than red which makes it less impactful visually. I do feel that there needs to be more blood splurts while melee attacks are being dealt and just more gore in general. I’m sure the devs will work on this over time, still many months left to go.

6 Likes

There is blood but its not visually red as it should be. I mean I dont see a reason to nerf blood this is gonna be a rated M game with the trailers its literally impossible to hide blood and even mephisto’s lair has blood all over in the remake. But if blizzard wants to put a gore slider im fine with that but I dont see the splats of blood on enemies as that bad even call of duty activision’s activision has blood splatter.

Paladin has a skill which its visual was based on blood. If there wasn’t blood it would be a shame.

1 Like

I already asked about that 2 days ago.
Someone supposes that devs don’t want to lose chinese market (where blood is not allowed).
Other guys still see the blood in D2R.
But you have to be blind if you argue with the fact that original game is more moreee bloody.

1 Like

Its not hard to make a chinese version if thats the case and if thats the case they already need to make a special version mephistos lair is still covered in blood and the trailers are chalked full of it

1 Like

Guess I’m blind then. The bright blood in LoD is probably do to the limited color palette. Everything is mostly muted, dark colors, so tinting the blood to something brighter helps it stand out.

The blood in the video is still there, there’s blood spray when the Necromancer summons a skeleton. It just looks very modern. It’s not just a texture sitting ontop of a map.

And really, blood isn’t bright anyhow. It’s actually quite dark, even when oxygenated.

http://mriquestions.com/uploads/3/4/5/7/34572113/5869557_orig.jpg

Better question is why are the maggots not maggots anymore? They are big bugs now instead which is much less interesting and an odd decision to diverge from the original game.

Where do you see this? I looked at the footage posted in this thread and there isn’t any from the maggot lair.

Also, lol. There’s so much blood. The more I watch it the more I notice it. Like when the Sorceress at the start cuts the Unraveler in half with a fireball it takes a moment for the blood to pool out around from his bits. Then the scarabs erupt into gore when she opens the door moments later, unfortunately obscured by the fire and lightning.

If you check the deep dive with MrLlamaSC they show some scenes with the replacement for the maggots.

This deep dive?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSGmMLbN2Kc

Can you provide the timestamp where they mention or do replace the maggots? I can’t find it clicking through.

ibb(dot)co/wNtSkqz
The maggots are literally the same except red?
Replace (dot) with .

That’s not what I see. It looks orange. Check the topleft of the screen. There’s a maggot there for like… 4 seconds of footage when the Barbarian is leaping around.
https://youtu.be/wyaOHRgLDbc?t=1311

You can check out this resource if you need to check out sprites and how they compare to D2R

https://diablo-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Diablo_II_Monster_Images

There’s 4 ‘maggot’ types
2 orange ( Sand Maggots, A2, Far Oasis, Maggot Lair 1-3)
2 Red/black (Devourer, A2, Canyon of the Magi)

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Sand_Maggot

I see it. You should still read my posts. Red and Orange maggots exist, both in act 2.

Orange in Far Oasis/Maggot Lair
Red/Black in Canyon of the Magi.

Thats not my point my point is they look the same your the one saying they are different. The main difference is they stand a little taller, they literally have the same attack animation. Thats the point of my post if you dont agree with the person im talking too then no point in debating it with me.