Nintendo Switch 8p Coop Online

Is this going to be possible?

There is an asterisk on 8p coop, and every console except switch mentioned at the bottom.

What’s the deal, Blizzard?

7 Likes

Yeah they really need to address this. I wish they’d do a Q&A with us on the forums. We need clarification on more than just this.

3 Likes

Yeah it seems like for such a multiplayer-driven game, and advertised as cross-progression, it should obviously mean Switch is included, right?

But then this in the trailer had me take a step back and I’m very confused now.

If you don’t include multiplayer coop on Switch, you might as well just not release the game at all on that console.

At very least spell it out more clearly, this company has been terrible at messaging lately.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s odd because the Switch page for D2R mentions up to 8 player gameplay, but it doesn’t say online. That coupled with the trailer has me confused if 8 player games online will happen for Switch.

4 Likes

Yes and prior to this, they have said no couch coop on consoles, so…I am left to believe online will be fine given the information in your link, but then why the asterisk in the newest trailer?

So confusing. Need clarification, badly.

3 Likes

Have… have you tried playing most games online on Switch? It’s a nightmare.

2 Likes

Some of them work not too bad. Ultimately I just want to play with someone in the same household in 2p coop with 2 linked b.net accounts.

If this is not possible, most of my plans for D2R are quashed and I may just refund or play single player occasionally if I do buy. BOTW2 will instead get most of my play time, but I would be very disappointed.

Really, really hope multiplayer online is possible on switch and remain confused.

Blizzard community engagement for new games used to be far superior, and this is getting pretty discouraging for me.

When SC2 was in development, I remember numerous back and forth convos even before beta hit with Blizzard employees. I hope they’re a bit more engaged for beta we’ll see.

2 Likes

I know I was wondering about this also. I can’t imagine D2R running well with a full party of 8 people online on the Switch. Hell, Torchlight 3 was lagging online with just me.

Two players may not be bad though if they’ve toned down the gfx enough.

2 Likes

i need clarification on this too, it’s actually a dealbreaker for me to get a switch copy. i dont wanna play single player only on switch

3 Likes

Wonder what the chances are that 8p multiplayer is only going to be able to run on the unreleased switch v2, and they can’t spoil it before E3 is complete.

Sleuths we are, you heard it here first folks :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Maybe multiplayer will only work on legacy graphics on Switch. I wouldn’t even be mad.

Yeah, I’m gonna need an answer on this as well. I had been debating a switch for a long while and the initial launch trailer with cross progression in mind was the deal maker for me. Sure, I’ve found some cool other games in the mean time but the thought of playing D2 on my PC at home and taking my chars on the go with the switch was PERFECT. Plus I have several friends planning on getting it for switch as well.

I need clarification on this, and I need it asap.

1 Like

@Community Managers: i know you are not very communicative here for whatever reason, but can you please answer this question since this is a missing, yet quite relevant information?

6 Likes

Yes but your device will most likely blow up.

So far we don’t even have the “yes” part of your response confirmed, unfortunately.

As for the blowing up, the new switch should be fine.

2 Likes

It is in the store for the switch, at the bottom
Apparently cannot link on b-net forum, but go to the Nintendo homepage and type Diablo in the search box and it is an easy find.

I have seen elsewhere that couch co-op won’t be a thing
(hoping they are wrong but, given that it is being built over the original I feel that would need a more extensive overhaul so, I am inclined to believe it)
So going to need 2 switches, but will be multiplayer capable.

We realize it’s in the switch store. What we’re commenting on here is that on the new trailer, it has an asterisk* on 8p coop and a section at the bottom for every console Except switch.

Why would they do that? we need clarification.

1 Like

Yes. We need clarification on what exactly in that screen of the trailer is available to everything BESIDES the switch. 8 player co-op. Is it the 8 player part? Is online play on switch going to be limited to 4 players? Or is online co-op just not available, leaving only co-op if multiple switches are connected to the same wifi network since couch co-op isn’t a thing? If there IS online co-op, is the progress and loot you find still cross progress with the other platforms you may play?

I need to know answers to why the switch was left out. My friends wanting to play on switch I’m sure will be interested in knowing if they’re not getting a full D2 experience. Blizzard needs to address this ASAP

1 Like

Quite notable is that blizzard didnt just write “except nintendo switch” into the asterisk but instead listed all other devices.
Maybe it could be something that was implicitly or explicitly promised to the community but in the meantime determined it’s not realizable for one reason or another and now just trying to find a “soft” way of telling us

1 Like

That’s what worries me. Finding out WHICH part. The hopeful side of me wants to think it will probably just be reduced lobby size to 4, which is understandable due to Switch not being as powerful as a PC or the other consoles. But that’s just an optimistic speculation. The part that matters to me is being able to play online on battlenet with the ladder, and having the progess and loot be accessible when I’m on my PC.

That was one of the big sell points they pushed on original announce. “Oh yeah, it’s all cross progress. You can take all your characters to whatever system you want to play on.”. If this does NOT apply to the Switch, the Switch community as a whole deserves to be informed of this

5 Likes