New WW Barb for Season

Am I the only one that finds it easier and faster when making a new barb to go with the CC variant right away?

I mean I can usually craft the CC pieces even before I get most of the Wastes set items, so it lowers the number of pieces I need to get the set bonus.

I mean, the damage isn’t terrible, and it feels like it’s actually easier to play earlier as you have more CDR without having great roles on the pieces you do have, so getting to perma-wrath seems easier, and the damage bonus from stacking CDR makes the damage early on feel higher then 6 piece wastes.

I dunno… that’s my experience anyways… But I never really try to solo push GRs, and I focus more on group play, so that might be a reason.

In order to run CC in push you need to include ignore pain in the build this makes the CC build require more CDR by comparison. On top of that even with ignore pain the defense is a lot less then band of might contributes to the core build.

Now since we have pushing covered we can cover speeds since that’s what you say you do. Yes, when wastes is not the starting set it is easier and a faster start to run crimson since you can cube lamentation and for max multiplier right away on top of the 2p CC crafts. I noticed you are running band of might and CC. You are literally nerfing yourself all of the damage from COE. Band of might requires you to proc for which you are running stomp. This makes you completely stop which slows your rift down. You should have COE and elite hunt for your cycle hit of ever elite. If you must run Band of might charge is a better option for speeds. You get the proc and more speed. If you drop band of might you will see why CC doesn’t work at low paragon. The core build can go higher and faster assuming we are not doing something stupid like 85s. With COE the core build has more damage then your crimson build. Just think about it.

On top of this there are squirts builds that the same principle applies. Generally CC is not used until 6k but there are a lot of other factor that go into these specialty builds. These builds will get you the best EXP per hour but use focus and restraint plus shields to keep squirts up.

Yea, good reply… but like I said… I don’t really do pushing… and I don’t really do speed… I hardly ever play solo, so it doesn’t really feel like the damage is something I need to be overly concerned about. I mainly use stomp to pull enemies for pylons as I almost always main Nemesis as soon as I get them, as I can survive and do decent damage in group GRs.

I guess alot of it is simply due to the fact that I hardly ever solo. I’ve always geared towards a more consistent damage output that doesn’t rely on CoE rotations and more survivability vs more damage…

If you can run nemesis bracers in a greater rift you are not going high enough
Mortiks is huge item and mandatory. 50% offense and 50% defense plus a little extra healing on the side. Also remember the core build has mantle in the cube which eats up a lot of the crimson benefit and its nerf was reverted. Onlt time nemesis bracers should be considered is for t16 runs and if you are messing around with squirts builds.

1 Like

I agree, but usually I’m not the weakest link in the group, so while I can survive and kill stuff, if everyone else is dying, then they set the cap.

I use cc at the start until I can get my all the pieces and/or get the right stats on gear. After that I drop cc.
That is just what I do as the season starts.

As always, the bottom line is: do what you want, how you want it!

If you prefer jumping straight into the CC version and it works for you, groovy. Go for it. There’s no right or wrong way to play, though there are right and wrong ways to optimize your build, and much of that will depend on the content you engage.

That said, I think going Core will be better early on. You need far fewer CDR rolls with Core, and the 4th Cube slot makes it even easier to stack FnR, Zodiac, and Band of Might for excellent and consistent damage output and tons of toughness.

The 2-piece bonus of Captain Crimson grants 20% CDR so I’m genuinely curious about this part. Early on you might not have found weapons, gloves, shoulders or rings with CDR on so this is an easy, guaranteed source of it to give more WOTB up-time.

CC builds require ignore pain. He doesn’t mean more sheet CDR but CDR required to make the build function at 100% uptime. Very low speeds for gem up any build will work. 45% is about what you need for core vs something like 55% plus from crimson. And really you want 60%+ or core is better anyways.

That’s for pushing… .but this whole thread is about when you’re new, and you probably don’t even have good gear yet… It’s just about how to get to a good place to really start farming/ doing bounties/ etc… you’re not going to be doing any solo pushing at the start of the season…

It still requires ignore pain or you need to drop the level down significantly. Your better off running core at 5 levels higher. On top of that band of might will keep you alive if you have any down time on wrath. there is no oh s$%t bar with crimson builds you need perfect everything in order to keep ip and wrath 100%.

Chris already answered it, but I’ll clarify: Crimson’s requires Ignore Pain, and that eats up a lot of Zodiac procs. If you’re running Crimson’s and not using COE, you’re not doing more damage than you would with Core, and you really can’t afford to drop Band of Might for COE until you have a lot of Paragon. It’s not a good option for early-Season/low-Paragon players.

Core can get by with much less CDR since the only thing eating your Zodiac procs are Wrath and Stomp, and the latter refreshes almost instantly in density.

Well, the thing about the Core build is that you have more flexibility. You can get a Zodiac ring very early which is guaranteed to roll with CDR; wear that, plus a diamond in the helm, and roll CDR on weapons, and that will give you enough CDR to have perma-Wrath.

Now, if you’re running a different version of the build, or have different goals, you can adjust this as you see fit, and of course you should always play in the way you find most enjoyable, optimization be damned! My point is just that for most players, and especially for players who either want to push solo or want to optimize their gear early on, you’re better off avoiding Crimson’s.

1 Like

I like crimson for bounties where you often have crappy density and therefore zodiac procs don’t always keep you topped up. Plus IP: Bravado works well with speed builds. Core build has a ton of good options for speed farming though, like immunity ammy or even homing pads are nice for bounties. So once you’re more established I think core has lots of advantages, but with the crap gear I have on season crimson seems easier to keep WotB up and fury topped off. I’m done with the journey and just collecting as many mats as possible for NS after roll over so haven’t taken the time to farm good gear lol.

Are there any tricks to getting a zodiac or is it just the usual for jewelry?

They always seem to fall pretty regularly. Shouldn’t take you too long to get one every season. Don’t roll for one with bloodshards unless you have everything else since jewelry sucks down shards quick.

1 Like

Yeah I typically only use shards on armor pieces for that reason.

Just wondering if Zodiac had a particular trick I didn’t know about. I think I’ve seen 2 drop this season, both pretty bad, but I only played until about mid 600 para before finishing the journey and going back to NS. Then I came back for the double bounties, but I’ve been doing essentially nothing but bounties, so that isn’t ideal for farming gear.

1 Like

No tricks for getting one to drop. If you look at the d3 loot table all barb possible rings have the same drop rate except for skull grasp and unity which are about 30% less likely to drop.

2 Likes

I’ve had the best skull grasps drop since they buffed rend.

3 Likes

Thing about the Zodiac ring is that its stats are pretty fixed, so even a “bad” ring is still a good find. All you really need is its legendary affix and some CDR–the other stats are negligible; Zodiac ring should be the last thing you worry about upgrading.

LOL a very D3 thing to have happen . . .

1 Like

I was so happy when skull grasp was removed from the build knowing it had a very bad drop rate.

1 Like

Yeah my season one is 4.5 chc, 7 cdr and 8 rcr, so while it could be worse, it’s certainly not something to brag about!

I actually had to just give up on I think season 3 because I couldn’t get one drop! I’ve also run into finding 10s of focus but no restraint or vice versa. RNG can be a harsh mistress!