New Wizard Set idea

Changes to the Firebird set(and watching the first Frozen movie for the 100th time… ty nieces… sigh) inspired this idea but I’ve always been a fan of the Cold when it comes to the Wizard and the Ray of Frost skill in particular. So I came up with a new class set that has a Cold Wizard theme in the Arctic Fortress set. Name is tentative but that’s the name that popped into my head after deriving the set bonuses.

2-piece: Ray of Frost gains the effect of all runes and deals double damage to chilled or frozen enemies.

4-piece: Ice Armor now lasts forever and reduces incoming damage by 50%

6-piece: A perpetual Blizzard now follows your character, dealing 3000% weapon damage to all enemies within a 22 yard radius. While channeling Ray of Frost all Cold Skill damage is increased by 10000%.

The 2-piece bonus is a simple boost to Ray of Frost by granting all runes and deals double damage to chilled or frozen foes. 4-piece bonus gives Ice Armor an enviable lead over other Armor spells by lasting forever once cast and reducing all incoming damage by 50%. This is on top of Ice Armor’s strong melee defenses, particularly if they’re enhanced by Halo of Arlyse ring. Finally the 6-piece bonus takes a page from the Archon skill and its Slow Time rune by adding a perpetual(aka never-ending) Blizzard that damages all foes within a 22 yard radius. This matches the radius of the Sleet Storm rune on Ray of Frost and therefore stacks when channeling.

Then if you channel Ray of Frost, all Cold Skills have their damage buffed by 10000%. This is applicable to Frozen Orb(via Wizardspike), Energy Twister(via Etched Sigil), Meteor(via Tal Rasha set) and the three Cold skills highlighted in this set: Ray of Frost, Ice Armor and the perpetual Blizzard. Obviously these set values can be changed for balance reasons but the theme is basically to channel Ray of Frost and have melee enemies chilled or frozen in their tracks. Enemies that do make it near you are forced to walk into the set’s defensive mechanisms and are hopefully felled before they have a chance to land a blow. For enemies that can attack from afar, they are at the mercy of whatever spells or tactics you opt to partake as a Cold Wizard.

The set occupies Amulet, Helm, Chest, Gloves, Boots and a unique 2-H Staff. Light of Grace Source would be updated to give a damage buff of 325-400% to Ray of Frost in addition to its piercing effect. This idea will need more polish work before it becomes reality and more feedback is welcome.

I like the idea but if it’s a ring and bracer slot, it will get mixed with tals for a 6 tals, 6 ice set to break the game instantly

While that is indeed possible, my idea is very much in the beginning stages and needs considerable refinement before it should become reality. Furthermore, Tal Rasha’s power relies upon multiple elements and maintaining that for the Resistance and Damage buff while my set idea focuses solely on the Cold element(buffs the snot out of it while channeling) with the end goal being to promote the use of Ray of Frost as a primary damage dealer as opposed as the vehicle to summon other spells(via Etched Sigil, Wizardspike or Tal Rasha).

Edit Speaking of being able to do 6 Tals with this set, I think changing the slots it would occupy would be a shrewd thing to do. Henceforth, I think the new set should occupy Helm(from Bracers), Amulet(from ring), Chest, Gloves, Boots and a rare 2-Hand Staff with a sizable Ray of Frost mod spawning on it. That way players would have to weigh the Staff vs Deathwish + Light of Grace.