New to WD - Need Advice

It’s really sad that out of the 3 caster classes, WD always has the most fragile builds and still no place in group meta.

I gave up on my WD (I still play non-season my helltooth or Jade or Darts) until something is fixed.

Sure DoD is great fun to play and tons of dmg, but one sneeze and you pop. Even LoD version ain’t much tankier (if you compare it for example with a LoD necro or wizard build, without giving up damage either).

Hope next patch addresses some of those disparities between classes, making more LoD builds viable for all classes, as well as addressing sets that are obsolete either mechanics or scaling wise.

Cheers! <3

I went over to my NS toons and cobbled a LoD DoD build

https://www.d3planner.com/256031711

I know i’m missing a few things (Illusory boots / Pauldrons) and still leveling up the LoD (S18 it’s 99, but just now trying NS)…any feedback is appreciated on what I can tweak.

Gotta say it’s way more fun with decent gear and 3 times the paragon of season build.

check my profile (season, America server), my wd got over 1 billion toughness when full buff. This is not a squishy build. 121 GR done so far

From what I can tell, you are missing +%Poison Dart dmg on your pants, +%Fetish Army dmg on your chest and shoulders, and +Poison dmg on your bracers. Your Depth Diggers aren’t great, and your belt, CoE, chest and mask aren’t ancient, so you’re losing a lot of dmg there.

The online profiles still don’t work. Can you link a d3planner please?

Thanks Pja - like I said I cobbled it together with stuff in my stash so yah, it’s nowhere near optimized.

why would I need +FetishArmy on anything when it’s not a skill used with LoD version? This is confusing…I can roll it on both so will try it

I did see someone running no gem pants to get +poisondart on them - but that was after I rolled of the exp for LPK on them (and they’ll get replaced eventually)

forgot to roll poison on my bracers…CoE well I haven’t found a better one even in my stash of excess DH stuff…same with WH (which I did get poisondart on!)…

I tried a 100 last night, got to RG (Sandshaper) with about 4 min left and failed. Wasn’t doing enough damage and got caught by him a few times…with a serious ramp up on skills it seemed like I was dodging crap all the time and nothing much else…

+FA dmg benefits your fetishes, it doesn’t matter if they are the Sycophants

Yeah, I actually did that earlier in the season too - I never really did the math, but it felt like the +15% PD was giving better benefit than two topazes. What I mostly meant when I said that your pants weren’t great though was that the +83% is too low. You should, optimally, have more than 95%.

Your CoE is really well-rolled, in a perfect world, you would want to have IAS instead of Area dmg but it’s still a really good one, and for a non-LoD build, it would be absolutely perfect. Given how much of a benefit you get from LoD for each ancient piece, however, you might be better off with even not that great of a ring that is ancient - if you can get one with CHC, CHD and socket, that should be enough.

Yeah, RG battles are the most difficult thing with this build. One mistake, and that’s it. With how slowly your Fetishes accumulate and with a lot of dmg mitigation coming from your Harvest, which is impossible to get full stacks of if the RG doesn’t have spawns, it’s really easy to get one-shot again and again. Perdition is particularly bad, but I did actually have this experience with Sand Shaper and his tornadoes too.

If you generally want to be a bit tankier, you can cube DoD and use Sacred Harvester instead for those extra 5 stacks of SH. You lose EF, but get quite a bit of extra toughness, which might actually mean more dmg output in the long run since you don’t have to dodge crap all the time, as you said. Socketing rubies also helps and, finally, Belt of Transcendence will make it easier to get your Fetishes up faster, even if losing Witching Hour does hurt.

In the end it’s up to you to see what works for you - experiment with the build and see what suits you. I hate playing glass cannon and fishing for rifts, so I take all the dmg mitigation I can, even if it means my DPS drops, but that’s just me.

Got it - had no idea! Thought it only buffed the FA skill…will add to shoulders/pants next play session!

Totally get it - but those are the only pair I have with Int (had some nice ancient ones with 100% but Dex from the old UE Grenades DH days that I eventually salvaged)…grinding with Kadala for better ones (same with chest piece).

and that’s the rub…i have a few ancients stashed but almost all with dex and either CHC/CHD or with both but rolled already so I can’t get rid of dex…though I wonder if an ancient 6%/50% with 195%+ would be better even with a dex roll instead of int due to LoD. I’ll play in d3planner with it

just remember I’ve been playing with this only for a few weeks…I only have gear because I rolled a NS WD ages ago to play around with and hoarded what I thought was “ok” stuff just in case :slight_smile:

I really appreciate the insight and the help tweaking!

https:// www. d3planner. com/155617772
Here it is

https: //anh4. com/image/iVXXh
1 billion toughness

Ok so I made a few tweaks on my NS toon and was able to clear a 100!

https://www.d3planner.com/599078034

Found a CoE in stash with 6/48/198 - ancient but with Dex - trading the LoD boost for now.

Found a spare ancient WH in stash that is pretty decent and I could roll INT onto…but wondering if better to roll Poison Dart damage??

Added +FA to chest and shoulders as well…

Burned through a lot of mats for this!!!

Oh, and not a single augmented piece either!

1 Like

Drop Spirit Vessel for Confidence Ritual, 122 GR done
No one shot, no death

What paragon and full augs for the 122 clear with no deaths? Cheers!

1 Like

With >1 billion toughness, i can now drop Spirit Vessel
https://www.d3planner.com/676381878

Is that max toughness in combat for you? Cause I’m sitting at 8b toughness with a 1.3m shield on my LoD Meteor Shower, and from 115+ staying in affixes and getting hit can still break my shield (well mostly it’s the fear / knockback as it cancels my channeling, but yeah).

1 Like

ya, > 1B toughness most of the time (full stack soul harvest + full 250% armor bonus from Stone Gauntlets). I see a lot people go with Echoing fury in Cube, IMO its useless when vs guardian and very squishy!

What EF does is it helps with your progression pretty much. But then if you hit a RG w/o adds, you’re screwed practically as unlike other classes / builds, your DPS drops drastically.

That’s why I like LoD Meteor Shower from all 3 INT classes builds, because you have great AoE dmg and single target, without sacrificing toughness. Necro’s and WD’s need something similar to this to be competitive (and fun to play). Also no numlock required, no button spam, no monitoring of stacking or falling buffs etc. It’s chill, effective, fun, works both in solo and in group play.

Whenever I play my LoD DoD am really tense and stressed because 1 misstep and I die, lose EF stacks (if I use it), lose fetishes, and I can instantly die again when I respawn. Same for Necro LoD Mages or what have you (not thorns, never played it is boring, dull and so fishy).

1 Like

Update…

Wow what a difference a few extra ancients makes…

https://www.d3planner.com/418115654

I managed to get 2 reforges to ancient on my DoD. I left Elite Damage on the one I have equipped since I’m running low on mats but is that better than AD or 10% damage since it rolled 7% attack speed native??

Also nabbed some ancient shoulders (still no Pauldrons or Illusory boots)

I was stuck around 85…did a 90 after the shoulder upgrade and then cut my 90 time in half after the DoD upgrade so I know I can get that much higher even with the missing gear and still no ancient CoE/Unity/HFA. Will be running some ubers with my DH soon to fix the HFA situation.

Also still hunting for an ancient Uhkapian to be able to add Zombie Dogs for defense…I like the Primal Gazing Demise I have now with Haunt, but too much extra button mashing and sometimes that drops my Mana enough to lose the Aquilla buff.